Lohals is a small port town on Langeland with 446 inhabitants
(2020), located in Hou Parish. Lohals is located in Langeland
Municipality and belongs to the Region of Southern Denmark.
From Lohals there are almost 18 kilometers to Tranekær, just over 29 to Rudkøbing and almost 52 to Bagenkop. The town was previously known as a ferry crossing town with routes to Korsør on Zealand and Lundeborg on Funen. The city has been in decline since the 1990s, but is now developing into a recreational area with holidaymakers, cottages and marinas.
Lohals Havn is an old cargo ship and fishing port, built in the late 1850s. The fishery almost completely disappeared in the 1980s, but today Lohals has three commercial fishermen. In 1970, the harbor got a berth and shortly afterwards a mast and boat crane. In 1981, the new marina was inaugurated.
Lohal's lighthouse from 1893 is a 9 meter high angle lighthouse, which was rebuilt in 1933. In 1975, the lighthouse was transferred to remote control from the control station at Fornæs Lighthouse, 6 km northeast of Grenaa. Approx. 3 km northeast of the city is the still functioning Hou Lighthouse from 1893.
After the harbor was built, the population grew and in 1873 Hou Church on the outskirts of Lohals was consecrated.
In 1630, Lohals was declared a legal shipping place
for goods and persons. The agricultural products from the catchment
area were driven into the water in a horse-drawn carriage, where
they were loaded on a flat-bottomed barge, which was rowed out to
yachts and deck boats transporting the goods to the nearest larger
cities and to Germany, from where they took tar, salt and other
During the Napoleonic Wars, a gunboat station was established in Lohals from 1807. After the end of the war in 1814, some of the soldiers settled in the area, and a new stand of sailors and peasants arose.
The remains of the cannon boat harbor bridges could still be used after the conclusion of the peace. Gradually the port facility fell into disrepair and in 1860 the skippers and traders formed a joint stock company with the aim of building a better port. In 1863, the new Lohals harbor with ship bridge and pier to the north was inaugurated. By the early 1900s, the city had developed into a smaller port city with streets, shops, telegraph and telephone stations, seaside resorts, guest houses, shops, fishermen, artisans, shipyards, and mission houses.
The wealthy tourists arrived via the railway to Korsør, from where a ferry route to Lohals had been established in 1898.
Around 1914 there were approx. 15 ships and many commercial fishermen in Lohals. During the interwar period, many cottages were built. In 1930, there were 57 resident fishing boats and the city's schooners sailed good profits into domestic shipping with a few detours to Germany and Sweden. Lohal's last cargo ship was sold in 1972.
During World War II, the city's development was hampered by the fact that the Great Belt was mined and by the fact that holidaymakers had been replaced with accommodation by German soldiers.
The Lohals-Korsør ferry route was closed down at the end of 1998.
In 2009, the Safari Museum in the old Hou school was closed down, and the museum's fortune passed to Th. R. Knudsen's Memorial Fund.
There has been a ferry connection from Lohals to Korsør from 1851 to
1998. From 1851 to 1862, the passengers were rowed out to the ferry
that sailed between Korsør and Rudkøbing. In 1898, SFDS took over
the Korsør-Lohals route, and from 1929, the car ferry S / S Tranekær
II was used. The route stopped on 10 April 1940 and reopened on 1
July 1947. From 1955, S / S Mjølner sailed two daily double trips.
From 1970, the newly built M / F "Lohals" Korsør-Lohals sails and
the route becomes an alternative to the Great Belt crossing. In 1979
M / S Langelandsbælt is inserted and in 1982 M / F Spodsbjerg sails
5 daily double trips. From 1992 to 1994, Dannebrog Rederi operated
the route with M / F Lundenborg. In 1996, the route was
re-established by DSB Rederi, which renamed the former ferry to M /
F Tranekær III, and the ferry route Lohals-Korsør was finally closed
at the end of 1998, after having had a tumultuous existence since
The passenger route Lohals-Lundeborg was established in the spring of 1928 with a rebuilt fishing cutter, which carried 40 passengers. I de ca. two years sailing with the cutter, in the season 4-5 daily trips were made to Lohals and return. 1931-32 the route was sailed by M / S "Ivan". In 1932, the M / F "Lundeborg" was deployed, which carried 10 cars and the crossing time was 40 minutes. The ferry stopped sailing in the winter of 1964/65, but sailed again from June 1965 with summer sailing until 1969, when the ferry from 1969 to 1974 sailed on the Svendborg-Drejø route, after which it was sold for scrapping. In 1996, the passenger boat "Ingrid Olivia" sailed a few weekly departures. From 2001 to 2006 M / S "Habeleto" sailed Lohals-Lundeborg. In the summer of 2008, the rebuilt cutter "Græsholm" with room for 36 passengers and bicycles, had two weekly departures to Lundeborg.
From the summer of 2009, "Græsholm" only sails from Korsør to Lohals and back every Tuesday and Thursday in July and August.
Lohals has a marina which is visited by a number of tourists every summer, just as the town's campsite is used during the tourist season.
By the harbor is the maritime culture house "Banjen", where in the summer there are free concerts and dancing by the pier.
Lohals is surrounded by the forests Vestre Stigtehave and Øster Stigtehave. On the outskirts of Vestre Stigtehave is the museum Hollænderhus with exhibitions about the forests on Nordlangeland and the island of Vresen.
Lohals is the northeastern starting point for the more than 200 km long hiking trail Øhavsstien.