Sorø

 

 

Sorø is located in Central Zealand and has 8,005 inhabitants (2020). The name comes from Sor Ø, as the original monastery was located on a piece of land surrounded by lake and bog. The city is in the oldest sources called Sor. Others believe that the name is a derivation of the old Danish south, which means "mud", but may also have the meaning "mud by the lake". The inhabitants of the city are called Sorans. The town is located in an area with forests and several lakes, of which Sorø Lake and Tuelsø are the largest. The southern part of the town is called Frederiksberg and the northern Pedersborg. At Frederiksberg is Sorø station with railway connection to the east and west. Previously, there was a railway to the north, Veddebanen, with i.a. stop in Pedersborg.

Sorø is the regional capital of Region Zealand. The city is relatively close to the E20 motorway and thus has good access roads to the capital (approx. 1 hour). There are 13 kilometers to Dianalund, 15 to Slagelse, 16 to Ringsted, 29 to Næstved, 33 to Korsør and 36 kilometers to Holbæk.

 

History
Early history
Sorø arose as a settlement in the year 1142, when the great man Asser Rig founded a Benedictine monastery for monks on the site. The Benedictines, however, did not succeed in running the monastery, and so the great man's son, Bishop Absalon, replaced this monastic order with Cistercians who had good abilities as land and estate stewards. The Southwest Zealand Sorø Kloster soon grew into the largest and richest monastery area in the Nordic countries, which prompted visits by several Danish kings, including Christoffer 2., Valdemar Atterdag and Oluf 2., who are all buried in Sorø Klosterkirke to this day. The many royal visits gave Sorø a great reputation in the Middle Ages.

However, the status of the monastery was soon to change in a different direction. When the Reformation occurred in 1536, Sorø Kloster was exclusively a retirement home for old and frail monks, and in connection with the death of the last monk, Frederik II founded a boarding school on the site of the bourgeoisie and nobility boys, called "Sorø Lærde Skole" there. later was to become Sorø Academy. In 1638, the town was granted township rights in connection with Christian IV setting up a knight's academy near the school, where his sons were to be educated. When the author and poet Ludvig Holberg bequeathed his properties and most of his fortune to the Academy in the 18th century, the first independent teaching buildings were built in 1747.

1800 and to this day
Sorø Academy's main building burned down in 1813. However, a few old buildings survived - among others. the pavilions Molbechs Hus and B.S. Ingemanns Hus. Both houses are from 1740. The current main building is from 1827.

Until the middle of the 19th century, Sorø was mostly a town for craftsmen and schoolchildren, as forests, lakes and bogs made it difficult to trade in the area. In 1856, the east-west-going Zealand railway came to the city, and a station was established a little south of the center. Unlike other Danish cities, the advent of the railway meant no increased industrialization in the Sorø area, and the city remained a "school town" until today. However, Sorø maintained its status as a political administration center in the area. Thus, Sorø has been the headquarters for Sorø County and West Zealand County. A tradition that was continued with the establishment of Region Zealand.

When the local government reform came into force in 2007, Sorø Municipality was merged with Stenlille and Dianalund Municipalities. In the new Sorø Municipality is the town hall in Sorø.