Struer is a station town and market town in northern West Jutland
with 10,303 inhabitants (2020), located in Struer Parish and at the
same time the capital of Struer Municipality, located in the Central
Jutland Region. Struer was previously in the county of Ringkøbing
Struer is primarily known for housing the electronics company Bang & Olufsen, which is world famous and employs approx. one-fifth of all city dwellers. The fjord town is also known for the Struer Museum (the house of the poet Johannes Buchholtz). It is located on the southwest side of Venø Bay in the Limfjord and has a marina near the city center, which is especially well visited by tourists in the summer.
Struer Huse emerged as a charging station for Holstebro. As early as the 17th century, building timber was brought via Aalborg from Norway and resold to the inhabitants of Hardsyssel.
Under the dictatorship
According to Holstebro's town bailiff's report from 1743, grain and fatty goods were exported from Struer, most often to Aalborg, whose merchants usually owned the small ships, this freight took place by means of. The boats brought "Norwegian pine, tar, steel, flax, hemp, salt, etc." home and sold it in the area. Several inhabitants of Struer ran their own trade as commissioners for merchants in Aalborg and, according to a county council judgment from 1735, had traded in this way "longer than any man's memorial period". Other residents kept inns and ran liquor stores.
Struer Huse was not a large urban community: in 1801 there were 53 inhabitants, in 1840 there were 114 inhabitants. Until the storm surge in 1825, the Limfjord was closed to the west, and Aalborg controlled trade. With the storm surge, a passage was opened to the North Sea, which in the following years grew, and in 1831 the first ship could sail through the "Agger Canal". In 1839, sailing gained momentum after another storm had improved sailing conditions. Thus, there was a sharp increase in the boat trade between the Limfjord (including Struer) and Norway, Sweden, England, Schleswig, Holstein, northern Germany and the Netherlands. As early as 1840, 400 ships sailed through the canal, and in 1855 the voyage peaked with 1800 ships.
In Struer's case, it was the merchant and consul in Holstebro H.P. Rygaard, who started the sailing. He had 12 ships sailing, owned farms, two brickworks and timber berth. Grain was sent to Norway with wood in return cargo and to England with coal in return cargo; from Hamburg the ships had wine and groceries in return cargo. In 1851, 14 vessels with a total of 260 kmcl (commercial load, approx. 520 net registered tonnes) were resident in Struer. In the same year, 152 ships from foreign ports called at Struer, of which 95 from Norway, 36 from England, 13 from Altona and 34 from Copenhagen. Shortly afterwards, around 1860, the Agger Canal began to become true. At the same time, "Frederik the VII's canal" was dug through Løgstør Grunde, thus improving Aalborg's access to the western part of the Limfjord. As a result, local shipping once again languished. In 1860, Struer had 159 inhabitants.