Thisted is a market town and port town by the Limfjord with 13,536 inhabitants (2020), located in Thy. The city is the center of Thisted Municipality, which is part of the North Jutland Region. Thisted is located roughly in the middle of the municipality and has an approx. five km long coastline along the fjord. Limfjordsbyen is the political, economic and cultural center of the municipality, and Thisted is the largest city in Northwest Jutland. The city's hospital, Thy-Mors Hospital, is one of the main hospitals in the region. The hospital has a newly built emergency room that serves the entire Northwest Jutland area.



The Middle Ages
The first named great man is Tord Amdisøn, whose name is found on a rune stone from the 12th century, today walled in at the foot of the church tower. Traces of an early medieval town and trading post, from the 13th century, have been found under the current Storetorv and Storegade.

The name probably first appears in a letter of 1367 as Thystadth, and the town is called in 1374 village ("villa"); it is referred to together with Hovsør in Østerild Parish as a charging station (shipping point) for the surrounding area. This, together with the fact that there has been a chapel and a bishop's farm by the town, Thistedgaard or Thisted Bispegaard, where the bishops of Børglum sometimes stayed, is evidence that the town has already in the Middle Ages been more than an ordinary village. Its market town privileges, which it must first have received from one of the last Børglumbisper (which also its seal seems to indicate), were confirmed by Frederik I "for Bishop Ugly Krumpens Skyld" on August 10, 1524, giving its citizens the same rights as the citizens of Viborg. The confirmation was repeated as early as 1528, almost with regard to Hovsør, which was Thisted's rival long after this had become a market town, and even for a very short time it became. As early as 1524, Thisted had the mayor and council. The rivalry between Thisted and Hovsør resulted in citizens from Thisted during the Count's Feud, when Skipper Clement had sent a man, Oluf Dus, to Thy to raise the locals to revolt, attacked Jep Friis' farm "Lyngholm" and burned the farm of. Jep Friis was one of Hovsør's benefactors.

The town grew, and the present Gothic church "Vor Frue" replaced the smaller Romanesque church around 1490. The church had a Latin school attached.

The Renaissance
The township rights were confirmed in 1545, 1560, 1598 and 1648.

In 1552 a serious conflict had arisen with the Crown, as the king had learned that many in the town, since he had given it township freedoms, had arbitrarily sold their farms to knights, priests and others, thereby violating the Crown's and the town's right, why it was instructed by the mayor and council to ban such trade and to get those who had sold their property to redeem it again, or else they should have the properties broken. That Hovsør still disturbed the town can be seen from a royal letter of 15 July 1572, whereby, after the citizens' complaint, the peasants in the area were forbidden to conduct sailing and merchandising with land purchases against the town's privileges. However, the town did not become a significant town at that time, for which the sailing on the Limfjord was too difficult. Also large Fires such as 1608 and 1620 and a significant flood in February 1622 hampered its emergence. In 1627, when the imperial commissioners came to town, it had 1,276 inhabitants (as well as 183 horses, 318 cattle, 349 sheep, and 319 pigs). The 17th century Wars haunted it like so many of Jutland's cities, especially the Swedes should have housed hard in Thisted in 1644 and 1658.

Under the dictatorship
In 1672 the town had 1,000 inhabitants. In 1681, Aalborg complained that the citizens of Thisted were interfering in its trade, and by decree of 28 January 1682, Thisted's authority was restricted to a town bailiff, and it was forbidden to engage in foreign trade. In 1769 the town had only 815 inhabitants.

Several of the city's women were subjected to witch trials in the years 1696-98, among these women was the noblewoman Ane Søe. The priest Ole Bjørn was in charge of the accusations. They were later rejected by a royal commission and the women acquitted. Ole Bjørn was deported for his part in the cases.

The early industrialization
It was not until the middle of the 19th century, when it had gained a Port, that the city began to rise. The construction of the railway contributed to further progress, and more favorable conditions at Thyborøn would benefit it even more.

Thisted had around 1900 annually 8 markets: 1 in feb. and 1 in March with horses, 1 in April and 1 in May with cattle, 1 in June with horses and wool, 1 in September with horses, cattle and sheep, 1 in September with cattle, sheep and horses and 1 in October with cattle , sheep and wool. Market day was every Wednesday and Saturday.

Of factories and industrial plants, the town had around the middle of the 19th century: 1 book printing plant, several lime distilleries, 1 iron foundry, 1 tobacco factory, 2 beer breweries and 1 distillery. Of factories and industries, the town had in 1871: 1 book printing, several lime distilleries, 1 shipbuilding, 1 iron foundry, 3 breweries, 1 distillery. Of factories and industrial plants, the town had around the turn of the century: the machine factory and iron foundry "Thy", 3 shipyards, 1 scratch wool factory, 2 wool spinning mills, several steam dyes, 1 steam mill, 1 tobacco factory, 2 lime distilleries, several breweries, 1 brewery, 1 brewery, pig slaughterhouse, 2 book printing houses, etc.


In Thisted, 2 newspapers were published: "Thisted Amts Avis" and "Thisted Amtstidende".

Thisted's population was increasing in the late 1800s and early 1900s: 2,342 in 1850, 2,763 in 1855, 3,126 in 1860, 3,552 in 1870, 4,184 in 1880, 5,421 in 1890, 6,072 in 1901, 6,520 in 1906 and 6,804 in 1911.

By industry, the population was divided in 1890 into the following groups, comprising both breadwinners and dependents: 583 lived by intangible activities, 238 by agriculture, 59 by horticulture, 99 by fishing, 144 by shipping, 2,071 by industry, 1,146 by trade, 705 by various day care activities, 241 of their funds, 132 enjoyed alms, and 3 were imprisoned. According to a 1906 census, the population was 6,520, of which 493 subsisted on intangible activities, 276 on agriculture, forestry and dairy farming, 190 on fishing, 3,191 on crafts and industry, 1,274 on trade and more, 486 on transport, 245 were retired, 296 lived by public support and 69 by other or unspecified business. In addition to industry, trade and shipping were quite important and would probably be even more so if it succeeded in making the Thyborøn Canal accessible to larger ships. The city had previously conducted a considerable trade abroad, especially England and Norway, but it was now declining sharply. After the fishing report of 1897-98, the fishing in Thisted and the parish, which had 25 boats, brought in about DKK 26,000; eel, flounder, herring and cod were fished in particular.