Haapsalu is a large seaside resort on the western coast of
Estonia, about 100 km southwest of Tallinn. Haapsalu was founded in
1279. The city is well known for its historic and maritime
atmosphere, warm sea water, medicinal mud baths and friendly
residents. It is a lovely little town with narrow streets for
families and romantic couples who love to picnic, walk, visit spas
and mud baths, swim and swim.
Tourist Information Center (Haapsalu turismiinfokeskus), Karja 15, ☎ +372 4733248, fax: +372 4733464, e. mail email@example.com Mon - Fri 9 am - 5 pm, Sat - Sunday 10 am - 4 pm.
Haapsalu Episcopal Castle and Cathedral, Lossiplats tn 3, +372
5184664, + 372 4737065, e-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Fri - Sat 10-14: 00, Sunday 11-15: 00.
The fortress was probably built shortly after the opening of the Haapsalu Cathedral of the Saare-Lian Diocese in 1279, but the Dome Cathedral was rebuilt from the very beginning. The completion of the first phase of the construction of the Haapsalu Fortress is considered to be around 1300. The originally 8 meter round wall was later raised to a height of 15 meters using a parallelepiped.
In the 14th century, the construction of the fortress continued. Two rectangular towers are built to the north of the castle.
In the 15th century, the walls were raised so that they reached almost the same height as the walls of the towers. The first structure outside the original structure was erected: a rectangular watchtower on the west side, probably to secure the main portal of the church. The courtyard was then completely crossed. A small suburb was built in front of the eastern gate of the castle, and thin and sometimes dangerous walls were fortified at the end of the same century. Between 1507 and 1508, a large eastern suburb (camp chestnut) was built.
Castle in the Livonian War
During the Livonian War, the fortress was badly damaged and modernized by the Swedes in accordance with the new insurance rules. The remains of the outskirts were used to create a unique fortification within the wall, namely for the construction of a new moat inside the outer walls of the fortress and, in turn, an earthen wall.
Castle in the possession of De la Gardiede
The oldest part of the Haapsalu fortress was to be rebuilt into a proud Renaissance castle. To this end, Jacob de la Gardie also commissioned the project from the Augsburg architect Matthias Hall, but work was interrupted by a fire that broke out at 3 a.m. on March 23, 1688, which damaged all the castle dwellings, the roof of the church and the organ of Pope Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie. present. In the fire, everything except the church was destroyed. Thus, the castle courtyard with its ruins stood for a century and a half and was used by the townspeople as a pasture.
Restoration of the castle church
The cathedral with its tower was rebuilt and a new bell was placed, but on March 18, 1726, a spring storm removed the roof of the church, and the temple was abandoned until October 15, 1889, when it was re-consecrated at the initiative and direction of Pastor Leopold Redder. The church was later plundered, but it was no longer damaged by fire and war.
In the 1980s, restoration of the ruins began and the church was rebuilt. In 2001, during conservation work on the northern wall of a large fortress, a fragment of a medieval representative building was discovered, built near the city wall and in exceptionally well preserved condition. The building, which was decorated with murals and especially beautiful bows, was probably destroyed in 1563 when the Bishop's castle of Haapsalu was besieged by Swedish troops. In the past, there were sports events in the ruins of the Haapsalu fortress, and more recently, concerts.
Haapsalu Resort Hall (Haapsalu promenade), Promenaadi n. The wood-laced spa hall and the waterfront stage were built in the late 19th century and are the only ones of their kind that have survived in their original form. The spa hall is located today and was in the first half of the 20th century the center of summer entertainment in Haapsalu.
Airfield Kiltsi, Kiltsi Küla, Ridala Vald. Kiltsy airfield, built by the army of the former Soviet Union, extends over an area of about 800 hectares. The length of the concrete runways is 2500 m, there were 28 hangars for the aircraft.
Ungru Manor (Ungru lossi varemed), Kiltsi Küla, Ridala Vald. The ruins of Ungru Manor constituted one of the most impressive neo-baroque buildings in Estonia, although it was never finished. The contrasting Soviet airfield remains next to the estate.
Haapsalu Church of Mary Magdalene
Haapsalu Mary Magdalene Church (EAÕK Maria Haapsalu Mary Magdalene kogudus), Rüütli 2, +372 4737211, +372 53015251, e-mail: email@example.com. The Estonian Orthodox Church of Mary Magdalene is located in the idyllic area of Haapsalu - on the waterfront. The church is registered as an architectural monument. The church was built in a post-classical eclectic style using elements of Russian church architecture. The building is a cruciform limestone structure with an octagonal tower. Donations for the construction of the church began to be collected in 1845, and the building was consecrated in 1852; Emperor Nicholas I also attended the dedication ceremony.
In 1964, the church was closed and the community began using the
St. Alexander Nevsky Church in Haapsalu. In 1993 the community was
divided into two parts. Those who wanted to remain under the
canonical jurisdiction of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia
remained in the church of Alexander Nevsky. The Congregation of the
Estonian Apostolic Orthodox Church has returned to the church of
Mary Magdalene, which was previously a storage place. The rooms were
originally shared with the Haapsalu Adventist Church until they
completed their Haapsalu Adventist Church in 2001. The church is
used by the congregation of Mary Magdalene in Haapsalu.
St. John's Church
St. John's Church in Haapsalu is a church owned by the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church in Haapsalu. The church was built in the 16th century and was first mentioned in 1524. It was originally consecrated as St. Nicholas Church. In the 18th century, after the Great Northern War, the church inherited the name of the Apostle John (John's Church) from the Haapsalu Cathedral, which became unusable. The church is used by the St. John's Church in Haapsalu.
Haapsalu Adventist Church is a Seventh-day Adventist church in Haapsalu on Endle 4. The architect of the church is Rit Aedvir. The church was rebuilt from an old boiler room. Construction began in 1996 and the opening ceremony took place on September 1, 2001. The church is used by the Haapsalu Adventist Church.
Haapsalu Methodist Church EMK is a church in Haapsalu on Endle 6. The church is used by the Haapsalu Methodist community. The church was built in 1922. During World War II, the Tartu Eye Clinic was evacuated to Haapsalu. By 1961, the organ was built.
Alexander Nevsky Orthodox Church. This is a church located in the old Haapsalu cemetery. The church is considered a building monument. This is an Orthodox church built in 1896-1897 (bell tower in 1899) according to a standard design. The church building is used by the Church of Mary Magdalene (Neeva Alexandra) in Haapsalu.