Kardla (German Kertel) is the only town on the island of Hiiumaa,
Estonia. It is the capital of Hiiu County and the center of the
Kärdla is located on the northeastern coast of Hiiumaa, on the Tarete Bay. To the southeast of the city is the Kärdla meteorite crater, which is 455 million years old. Several small rivers flow through the city. There are also artesian wells in Kärdla.
Kardla was first mentioned in 1564 as a village inhabited by Swedes. Its growth was greatly influenced by the cloth factory founded in 1830. The port was built in 1849. Both the port and the factory were destroyed during the Second World War.
Kärdla officially became a district in 1920 and a city in 1938. In 2013, the city was merged with Kõrgessaare Rural Municipality to form Hiiumaa Rural Municipality, as a result of which Kärdla lost its municipality status.
Hiiumaa Museum, Vabrikuväljak tn, ° +372 4632091, °
email@example.com. October-April Mon-Sat 10-17: 00, May-August
daily 10-18: 00, September daily 10-17: 00. This is the main museum
of Hiiumaa. This is a building in Kärdla, Hiiumaa, built in the
1830s for the directors of the Hiiu-Kärdla cloth factory. Popularly
known as the Long House (the longest wooden house in Kärdla, over 60
m). In the center there is a permanent exhibition presenting, among
other things, the history of Kärdla and the Kalev factory. Various
short-term exhibitions are also organized throughout the year.
Winter: € 2.50 / 2 adults / discount, summer: € 4/2. 50 adults /
“Kivi Jüri” or “Kivijüri” is a monument to the “Heroes of the 1941 defensive battles of Hiiumaa” in Kärdla. The memorial was erected in 1966 at the intersection of roads leaving Kärdla. The granite memorial was designed by sculptor Endel Taniloo and architect Ülo Sirp. This is one of the largest monumental sculptures in Estonia. The 2.6 x 2 x 1.7 m monument weighs 36 tons, and the soldier's head rests on 10 tons. Total height 4.3 m. Monument protected by heritage in 1997.
Kärdla House (also Kärdla Fire House) is located in Hiiumaa, on the central square of Kärdla at st. Hiiu 1.
The Kärdla House was built in 1930 and fire brigades have worked here throughout its history. It was built with a tower, primarily because there it was easy to dry the fire hoses in a hanging position. Also from the top of the tower one could see if something was on fire. Today, the fort house houses the Hiiu County Fire Association, a tourist information center and a shop. The fire house is the last building with a high tower in Estonia built for fire fighting.
The Kärdla Song Festival Grounds is a song scene at 5 Uus Street in Kärdla, Hiiu District. In addition to musical events, concerts and theater performances are also held here. The song's scene was largely destroyed by the November 2008 fire. Restored with donations in 2012.
Kärdla Port is a port in Hiiu County, in Kärdla Municipality in Hiiumaa Rural Municipality. The port of Kärdla was built in the middle of the 19th century to transport the Kärdla Kalev factory. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Kärdla-Tallinn route began before the Second World War. The port was destroyed by bombing in 1944. The port was rebuilt in 2012-2013. In 1996, she became a marina with the help of the European Regional Development Fund. The first season of the port was opened on May 24, 2014. The port is operated by the Kärdla Harbor Foundation.
Kärdla Bus Station is a bus station at 13 Sadama Street in Kärdla, Hiiu District.
The Long House is a building in Kärdla, Hiiumaa, built in the 1830s for the directors of the Hiiu-Kärdla factory. Since 1998, the building has been the research center of the Hiiumaa Museum. In the center there is a permanent exhibition presenting, among other things, the history of Kärdla and the Kalev factory.
Kärdla City Park is a park located between New and Post streets in Kärdla town. The park is under protection. The park area is 5.2 hectares.
The Church of St. John the Baptist in Kärdla is a Lutheran church in Kärdla, built in 1863. The church is located in the northern part of the Kärdla City Park, at 2 Posti Street.
The current stone church was built between 1861 and 1863 mainly for donations from the workers of the Kärdla Kalev factory. The church was built because the old chapel or German chapel on the Nuutri river remained small for Kärdla with its growing population. The old chapel was preceded by a Swedish wooden chapel dedicated to St. Olav in what is now Beach Park, a former Swedish cemetery.
The church was built in the neo-gothic style. The church was built of limestone, plastered and whitewashed inside and out. This is a type of Catholic Church. Above the entrance is a unique open bell tower in Estonia, around which a wooden bell tower was built in 1929. The construction of the wooden tower was probably associated with a new bell donated to the church. The clock in the Kärdla church was removed during the First World War and refurbished. The new bell was donated to the church in the late 1920s by Richard David, owner of Tallinn's Golden Lion Inn, originally from Kärdla. The church is used by the congregation of John Kärdla.