Kunda is a city in Viru-Nigula parish, Estonia, located on the coast of the Gulf of Finland. There is a pulp and paper mill, a cement plant and a port.

Near Kunda, evidence has been found of some of the oldest prehistoric communities in Estonia, hunting and fishing communities dating from about 6500 BC. e. This settlement gave its name to the Kunda culture.

Previously, the name Kunda was used to refer to the Kunda estate, 2.5 km south of the city, which was first mentioned in 1443 as a stone vassal castle. The estate was named after the Kundistov family. An early classicist manor house, built in the 1770s, has been destroyed since World War II.

Until the middle of the 19th century, Kunda remained a small village. In 1870, construction began on one of the largest cement plant in Russia, founded by John Carl Girard de Soucanton. In 1893 - the first industrial power plant in Estonia. All this served as the beginning of the development of the village and in 1938 it received the status of a city.

On May 1, 1938, Kunda received official rights to the area.

Rutja airfield is located 13 km west of Kunda and was used by Soviet troops during the occupation of Estonia; it has since been abandoned.

The municipal status of the city of Kunda was confirmed on December 12, 1991.



Kunda Gymnasium is the only general education school in Kunda offering basic and secondary education. Kunda Gymnasium is a municipal school run by the city government of Kunda. School address: st. Kasemäe 22, Kunda. Kunda Gymnasium was founded on September 1, 2001 by merging the 1st Kunda Secondary School with the Estonian language of instruction and the Kunda Secondary School with the Russian language of instruction. From 2001 to 2014, Kunda Gymnasium was a bilingual school, where teaching was carried out in both Estonian and Russian. Classes with the Russian language of instruction were closed in 2014, but Russian-speaking students will be allowed to study at the first level (1-3 grades) in the language immersion study group. As of 2014, the school had 347 students and 35 teachers.

Kunda City Library is a library in Kunda, Lääne-Viru County. The library has been operating since 1917.

Kunda Cement Plant (also Kunda Cement Plant) is a former cement plant in Kunda, Lääne-Virumaa. The cement factory was founded by the landowner of Kunda, John Girard de Soucanton, in 1870 on the Kunda River. The original plant consisted of 17 so-called bottle kilns and a clinker mill. A barrel mill and sawmill were built between 1885 and 1886. In 1893, to the west of the plant, another plant was built with a 45-meter drainage channel and four ovens. In 1912 the port of Kunda was formed. In the same year, a third plant was built with two modern rotary kilns. In Soviet times, the plant was called Krasnaya Kunda. Between 1960 and 1965, the factory was significantly expanded and reconstructed. There was a labor settlement near the factory.

Kunda Cement Museum (also known as Kunda Museum) is a museum founded in 1967 in Kunda, Lääne-Viru County. The museum is located in the administrative building of the former Kunda Cement Factory, which was built in 1898 and entered in the Estonian Register of Cultural Monuments. The address of the Cement Museum is 11 Jaama Street. The museum has been located in this building since 1967, in 2004 it was transferred to the Virumaa Museum Foundation and named after the Kunda Cement Museum. In 2010, it returned from the foundation to the city of Kundu.

The sandy Kunda beach is located just 2 km from the center of the city of the same name. Here you will find changing cabins, an outdoor toilet and a large barbecue area. Children can have fun in the various playgrounds and there is also a village swing.

Visitors to the Kunda Sports Complex can take advantage of its gyms, sauna and swimming pool. The pool center has a full-size pool, children's pool, jacuzzi and various saunas.

The Lammasmägi Hill, located near the Kunda Manor, is one of the oldest inhabited settlements in Estonia. Its archaeological value was first discovered in 1872, and since then more than 25,000 tools have been unearthed in the area. These findings lead archaeologists to believe that people have lived in the area since the Stone Age. Since similar instruments were later discovered elsewhere, this Mesolithic culture was named after the original and most widespread site, the Kunda culture.