Otepää (formerly Nuustaku) is a town in Valga County in southern
Estonia, the administrative center of Otepää Rural Municipality.
Otepää is a popular ski resort popularly known as the "winter
capital" of Estonia (as opposed to the "summer capital" of Pärnu).
In the 2005-2006 season, it hosted the FIS Cross-Country World Cup.
The name "Otepää" is translated from Estonian as "Ott's head", and Ott is a euphemism meaning "bear".
Tourist Information Center (Otepää Turismiinfokeskus), Tartu mnt 1, ☏ +372 7661200, ✉ email@example.com Mon-Fri 10: 00-17: 00, Sat-Sun 10: 00-14: 00. Numerous brochures and maps of the activities available depending on the season. Some souvenirs are also sold. Alternative email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Otepää hill and the ruins of the bishop's castle (Small
Settlement piiskopilinnuse varemetega). Note the ruins of the
bishop's castle. Otepää Hill (165.6 m) was formed about 13,000 years
ago during the Ice Age. Then, 1000 years ago, the most important
castle in Ancient Ugal was built here. The permanent fortified
settlement was built in the 7th-8th century and was significantly
fortified in the 11th century. The world's oldest firearms were
found here. During the battles of 1208-1227, most of the fighting
took place around the castle. It was captured in 1224 by the
crusaders, after which Herman I built the first stone castle here,
which was also one of the first brick buildings in Estonia.
Unfortunately, today only a few walls remain on the top of the hill.
Otepää Cultural Center
Otepää Cultural Center is a cultural center in Otepää. The director of the center is Sirje Ginter. According to the charter of the Center, its tasks include the promotion of local social and cultural life and the organization of local and regional cultural events.
Memorial to the Otepiai War of Independence
The Otepää War of Independence Memorial is a monument to the soldiers who died during the War of Independence in Otepää. The memorial is located near the Otepää church. The monument was designed by Voldemar Mellik and the pillar by Peeter Weber. The monument was opened on June 10, 1928. The memorial was demolished on June 17, 1950, and parts of it were buried. The obelisk of the pillar was found on August 3, 1988. The new samba was developed by R. Unt. The memorial was opened on July 15, 1989. The memorial is an exact replica of the original monument.