Türi is a city without a municipal status in the center of
Estonia in Järvamaa county, is a parish center and a part of Türi
parish. City is located on the Pärnu River. Railway station on the
Tallinn - Viljandi line. There is a church of the Holy Trinity
(Estonian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate).
In 1950-1959 it was the center of the Tyuri region.
Türi was first mentioned in 1347. It was not until the
construction of the railway line from Tallinn to Viljandi and the
establishment of a cellulose factory that the previously
insignificant village flourished at the beginning of the 20th
century. In July 1926, Türi received city rights.
From 1937 to 1941, the broadcasting station of the Estonian Radio, the Türi radio station, existed in Türi. The transmitter mast was 196.6 m high and when it was erected one of the most modern in Europe. It was blown up by the Red Army in 1941.
Most of the city was destroyed during World War II in the summer of 1941 when the front ran through the city. During the Soviet occupation of Estonia, the city was rebuilt and gained new economic importance.
Since 2000, Türi has officially been called the "Spring Capital of Estonia". The city is rich in gardens and green spaces. The park of Lokuta from the second half of the 19th century is particularly inviting for walks. An artificially created eight-hectare lake is a popular destination for the residents.
Culture and sights
The church of Türi, dedicated to Saint Martin, is particularly worth seeing. Construction began at the end of the 13th century. The pulpit from 1630 and the rich Baroque altar wall from 1693 are special gems of Estonian art.
The history of the place has been presented in the Türi City Museum (Türi Muuseum) since 1995. The Estonian Radio Museum (Eesti Ringhäälingumuuseum), founded in 1999, is also of particular interest. It comprehensively presents the history of radio and television in Estonia from 1926 to the present day. Numerous special exhibitions complete the program.