Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

Jardin des Tuileries (Paris)

.

 

 

 

Subway: Tuileries, Concorde

Open: Oct- March 7:30am- 7:00pm daily

Apr- Sept 7am- 9pm daily

 

 

 

 

Description of Jardin des Tuileries

Jardin des Tuileries is a beautiful garden that once surrounded Palais des Tuileries or Tuilieries Palace. It was destroyed in 1871 during the Paris Commune in 1871, but the gardens still survive. Jardin des Tuileries were first laid out here in the 17th century by royal gardener Andre le Notre for his master Louis XIV. The garden was increased over time and improved. In 1851 two tennis courts were added to Jardin des Tuileries. Some of the recent additions include modern sculptures and exhibitions of contemporary art.

 

 

 

Jardin des Tuileries extends from the Place de la Concorde in the west to the Louvre in the east and is bounded on the south by the right bank of the Seine, to the north by the Rue de Rivoli. The Great Garden was first mentioned in 1564. It was a private garden of the queens and kings. Since then, his garden history developed to the revolution along the taste of the rulers:

Garden of the Catherine de Medici (garden manager Bernard de Carnessequi)
Garden of Henry IV (garden manager Jean Le Nôtre)
Garden of Louis XIII. and
Garden of Louis XIV (phase of André Le Nôtre)

An ideal plan of the architect of the Louvre Philibert Delorme, who died in 1570, is pictured at du Cerceau. Under the direction of coming from Florence Garden director of the Tuileries, Bernard de Carnessequi, the gardener Pierre de Villers, Bastien Tarquin and Pierre Le Nôtre created the 15-hectare facility to 1578, divided by six longitudinal avenues with sycamore, elm and spruce and eight cross avenues. In the quarters grew fruit trees, saffron and kitchen plants. 1567 was the Medici Fountain, which received its water via an aqueduct from Saint-Cloud. In 1570/71 a labyrinth and a grotto by Bernard Palissy were created, which are no longer stand.

The first transformation was made by Henry IV in 1594. Pierre Le Nôtre worked the parterres to designs by Claude Mollet, André Tarquin the tree gardens. In 1599, 1000 avenue trees were purchased and mulberry plantations created. The royal monogram H was displayed in the parterres. 1605 was on the north side of a nearly 600 m long arcade. In 1602-08, a pumping station was built on the Seine to water the garden, causing a sensation under the name of Samaritaine. In this context, the Great Basin was created in 1607. In 1609, the ground floor was again modernized by Jean Le Nôtre. It was now only from Broderiefeldern.

After the so-called Great plan also was in 1600 on the east side of the palace, where already in 1575 a small garden was located, created a new garden, which consisted of eight square parterre boxes around a Schalenbrunnen and served as a royal private garden. Here Claude Mollet put on the parterres, which were published in 1600 by Olivier de Serres. This garden is also featured on the title page of Daniel Rabel (1630).

Under Louis XIV., On the instructions of the Minister Colbert, the next transformation by the garden architect André Le Nôtre. He put 1666-1672 on the west side of the palace, where until then was a street, a terrace on which floor designed new, the large fountain in the central axis and the two little emerged from the side, widened the middle to a wide avenue of chestnut trees and created at the end of the garden, the large octagonal basin and the horseshoe-shaped ramps that led up to the large terrace that ran around the garden.

As part of the initiated by François Mitterrand in 1981 renovation of the Louvre to the Tuileries was restored and drawing as much as possible restored to the condition of the 17th century.

In its western area, the former orangery and the former ball house Jeu de Paume from the mid-19th century have been preserved. The Orangery houses the Musée de l'Orangerie with works of Impressionism, the late Impressionism and the Ecole de Paris, the ballroom, the Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume for exhibitions of contemporary photography and video art.

The garden itself also houses works of art, including the Tree of Vowels by Giuseppe Penone, a replica of a fallen bronze tree.

The garden is motif in Manet's painting Music in the Tuileries Garden (1862). Modest Mussorgsky was inspired in 1874 to his composition Pictures of an exhibition by the consideration of paintings. One of them showed the Tuileries garden.

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus