Jardin du Luxembourg (Paris)

Jardin du Luxembourg (Paris)

Subway: Odeon

Open: daily


Description of Jardin du Luxembourg

Jardin du Luxembourg is a beautiful garden that covers a total area of 25 hectares or 60 acres around central Luxembourg Palace. It was constructed in the early 17th century for Marie de Medicis, widow of Henri IV who was assassinated by a Francois Ravaillac, a fanatical Catholic in 1610. The residence and the gardens were opened to the public in the 19th century by its owner Comte de Provence. Today it houses the French Senate. The gardens are dominated by a large octagonal lake.


Jardin du Luxembourg or the gardens of Luxembourg (in French, Jardin du Luxembourg), familiarly nicknamed Luco, are a Parisian public park of 22.45 ha, located in the Sixth District. The Luxembourg is the garden of the French Senate, whose seat is in the palace of Luxembourg. It is a private park that is open to the public. It underwent numerous changes throughout its history, and the current design corresponds for the most part to the works built by the architect Jean-François-Thérèse Chalgrin during the First French Empire. It was later cut by the peripheral urbanization works of Baron Haussmann.

Jardin du Luxembourg include several fenced play areas, very popular with the little ones and their parents, and nearby there is a popular puppet theater and a merry-go-round. Children can ride on pony and donkey and enjoy the rides they can take with them. In addition, there are free musical performances at a kiosk and there is a restaurant nearby, under shady trees, with tables both inside and outside. outdoors, to listen to the music while enjoying a glass of wine. There is another cafeteria-restaurant in another part of the garden.

Jardin du Luxembourg is pleasant for its tranquility. Children play in the small pond having fun and enjoying this one can rent small sailboats. The garden contains many statues and sculptures to admire. Surrounding the central parterres, there are a number of ancient statues of French queens.

Jardin du Luxembourg has many fun and educational activities. There are classes of initiation to beekeeping, with several hives, and there is a free horticulture school. This has an orchard of more than 1000 fruit trees that houses a valuable collection of ancient species of apple and pear trees.The classes of both schools are given in the Pavilion Davioud, a small building erected in 1867 to house a cafe-restaurant. The garden has tennis courts, basketball courts and palm courts, and martial arts are practiced in authorized areas.

The current building of the Orangerie was built in 1839 to replace previous buildings. It houses 180 species of trees in pots such as citrus fruits, date palms, oleanders and pomegranates, which adorn the garden in spring. It has bigarade orange trees from 250 to 300 years old.

The current greenhouses of Jardin du Luxembourg were created at the end of the 18th century, on the site of an earlier greenhouse that belonged to a Carthusian convent. There flowers are grown that serve for the flowerbeds of the garden and for the decoration of the Senate. Account since 1838 with a collection of more than 10 000 orchids.

The National Higher School of Mines in Paris and the Odeon Theater are next to the Luxembourg Gardens. The park's opening hours depend on the sunlight schedules and vary according to the season: it opens between 7:30 and 8:15 in the morning, while it closes between 4:30 and 9:00: 30 in the afternoon