10 largest cities in France




Saint-Benoît-du-Sault is a French commune located in the department of Indre, in the Center-Val de Loire region. The town is located in the southwest of the department, in the natural region of Boischaut Sud, above the valley of the Portfolio.

The neighboring municipalities are: Roussines (3 km), Parnac (4 km) and La Châtre-Langlin (4 km).

The chief towns and prefectures are: Saint-Gaultier (22 km), Le Blanc (33 km), Châteauroux (47 km), La Châtre (48 km) and Issoudun (72 km).


Local culture and heritage
Ancient heritage
Three dolmens were erected in the Neolithic period very close to the limits of the town:

Passebonneau Dolmen classified as Historical Monuments by the 1889 list, number in the Mérimée Base: PA00097317. It is located in the neighboring town of La Châtre-Langlin at a place called Champ du Dolmen.
Dolmen said of Gorces or Montgarneau, classified as Historic Monuments by the 1889 list, number in the Base Mérimée: PA00097424. It is located in the neighboring town of Parnac, at a place called Les Gorces, north of the Le Portefeuille stream.
Dolmen known as the Aire aux Martres Dolmen, classified as an historic monument by the 1889 list, number in the Base Mérimée: PA00097423. It is located in the neighboring town of Parnac, south of the Boisrémont stream.
Fortified Romanesque priory (14th century)
Saint-Benoît Church: the restored Romanesque building houses a 13th century granite baptismal font
Medieval city
Portal (fourteenth century)
Maison de l'Argentier: it is listed as a historical monument.



Originally, a few Benedictine monks detached from the Abbey of Fleury founded a small colony at Caput Servium (Sacierges-Saint-Martin), which due to the proximity of the Roman road and the uncertainties of the time (incursions barbarians) was transferred to Salis (Saint-Benoît-du-Sault), a natural rock which allowed it to be better defended from the tenth century. Thus was born the priory of Saint-Benoît.

The history of the village is also linked to the Viscounts of Brosse, hence the still medieval appearance, perched on a rocky hillock (registered site), with 15th and 16th century houses and other picturesque streets and squares. The current coat of arms of the village (three gold brushes linked gules on an azure background) are those of the de Brosse family.

Concretely, the villagers were therefore dealing with the provost of the priory, and the representative of the lord, Viscount of Brosse.

The film La Vouivre was shot there in 1987.

Following the cantonal redistribution of 2014, the municipality is no longer the capital of the canton.