10 largest cities in France
Bonifacio is a French commune, located in the departmental district of Corse-du-Sud and the territory of the community of Corsica. It belongs to the ancient parish of Bonifacio of which it was the capital.
The old Town
The cliffs of Bonifacio
The limestone cliffs and its picturesque "Grain de sable", a large isolated block rising up a few dozen meters in the sea, are the remarkable work of nature.
Le petit spône which is a beautiful beach.
The archipelago of the Lavezzi islands 10 km off Bonifacio.
Stairs of the King of Aragon
The Staircase of the King of Aragon is, with the Grain of Sand, one of the tourist attractions of Bonifacio (in Corsica), and its limestone cliff. The Staircase of the King of Aragon is located in the Mediterranean Sea, more precisely south of the Pointe du Timon on which the citadel of Bonifacio was built, at the southern tip of the "Île de Beauté", and overlooks the strait named "Bouches de Bonifacio" separating it from Sardinia. Seen from the sea, by boat, it appears from afar as a dark line obliquely, over the whole height on a cliff side, and up close as a half-tube hollowed out in the stone.
The origin of the current town of Bonifacio is not really known
with precision, but approximate dates indicate its refoundation
between 828 and 833 by Boniface II of Tuscany who gave it its
current name. The attested history of Bonifacio dates back to 1195
but the city was colonized by the Genoese who imposed on the city
significant structural military modifications (and who created the
Like all commercial ports, its history has been relatively turbulent, in particular by a warlike conflict between Pisa and Genoa, these two republics fiercely fighting over its citadel which was a strategic military link and a port complex without equal in Corsica. At first, Pisa was the owner of the place until the end of the 12th century.
King Alfonso V of Aragon, held a siege in 1420 for five months before lowering his arms against the untouchable city that was Bonifacio.
Bonifacio has suffered multiple attacks over the centuries; but the most terrible was that of the plague which in 1528 caused more than 4,300 deaths in the city which at that time had 5,000 inhabitants. The impregnable walls proved to be useless in the face of this scourge. The Saint-Roch chapel, at the entrance to the city, remains a testimony to the end of this dark period. There is always a procession there which reminds us that it is in this place, where the last Bonifacien affected by the disease died, before the end of the plague.
In 1553, still very weakened by the passage of the plague, Bonifacio underwent a new attack and had to go to Dragut, a former Turkish privateer who is said to have been commissioned by the Marshal of the Baths. The besieged city capitulated for the first time and was plundered.
King François I of France takes possession of a destroyed and depopulated city that the French are beginning to rebuild, but which, by virtue of the peace treaty passed in 1559, is returned to the Republic of Genoa.
The site had already been occupied since the Neolithic, as evidenced by the discoveries of archaeologists François de Lanfranchi and Michel Claude Weiss, in 1972, under the cave known as Araguina, at the entrance to the city. The skeleton of a woman, the Lady of Bonifacio, has been dated to between 6500 and 7000 BC.
Other archaeological excavations, carried out along the coast and in the hinterland, show that the bay was occupied as early as the Neolithic period (5000 to 2500 BC).
According to Ptolemy, the south of the island was occupied by the people of the Subasani; this territory included the civitates of Alista and Pallas, with the ports Favonius and Syracusanus. Pallas or Palla (Var. Pallas, Palas, Palmas, Plenas.), Terminus of the Antonine itinerary, is identified, rightly, by most geographers with Bonifacio. The Antonine maritime itinerary, probably drawn up in the 4th century AD, calls fretum Gallicum the strait which separates Corsica from Sardinia, mentions the Roman road which led from Mariana to Palla. If he does not quote Palla, Ptolemy speaks of the Pitanus, located south of Figari and north of Bonifacio (Palla), which can only be the Ventilegne stream.
With the Roman Empire, peace favors exchanges between maritime cities. Shelter for merchant fleets, the port also becomes a commercial base between nearby Sardinia and Corsica, within the Roman province of Sardinia-Corsica. The urbanization of the port adapts to development, requiring the appointment of a praeses, in other words a prefect, for its administration.
809, the annalist of Saint-Bertin reports that the Saracens, who left Spain, invaded Corsica and that one Easter Saturday, they destroyed an entire town and carried away its inhabitants, leaving only a few old men among whom were the bishop.
825, the emperor Louis the Pious sends his son Lothaire to Corsica, then Boniface II of Tuscany to drive out the Moorish pirates.
832, Boniface II of Tuscany fortifies or builds a castle at a place called Calcosalto which takes the name of Bonifacio.
1012, Guillaume Malaspina, marquess of Massa, whom certain authors have made descend from Obert Opizzo, marquis of Tuscany, lands in Corsica at the instigation of Pope Benedict VIII to drive out the Saracens and reduce the lords to submission.
1014, defeat of King Abu Hosein Mogehid and end of the occupation by the Saracens, definitively defeated by the coalition of the fleets of Pisa and Venice commanded by Guillaume Malaspina, Marquis of Liguria, General of the Pontifical Galleys.
1070, brief presence in Bonifacio de Génois who are lenders there.
1073, Mathilde de Toscane, Countess of Corsica, donates her States of Corsica to the Church, Gregory VII ratifies the donation. A pontifical legate is appointed to civilly administer Corsica.
1077, Gregory VII entrusts the administration of the island to the Bishop of Pisa.
Rivalry between Genoa and Pisa
1091, the Pisans oust the Legate and take possession of Corsica.
1095, the legate Dagobert attends the assembly of Notre-Dame-du-Puy in Auvergne.
1133, March 19, Pope Innocent II erects Genoa as an archdiocese on which he subordinates the Corsican bishoprics of Mariana, Nebbiu and Accia, while those of Aleria, Sagone and Ajaccio depend on the archdiocese of Pisa. It thus seeks to maintain a balance between the influences of the two republics and to establish peace.
1134 the Pisan and Genoese galleys clash throughout Corsica.
1138, the Genoese Fulcone di Castello, takes on his own initiative and with the help of his ten galleys, Bonifacio to the Pisans.
1139, the Republic of Pisa retakes Bonifacio to the Genoese.
1140, the wars between the Pisan and Genoese parties plunge the whole of Corsica into anarchy.
1146, Pope Pisan Eugene III confirms to the Pisans their rights and possessions in Corsica.
1175, overwhelmed by the abuses of the Pisans, Pope Alexander III no longer recognizes their privileges.
1181, taking advantage of the celebration of a marriage, the Genoese take the city by surprise.
1181, November, the Tuscan Pope Lucius III confirms in Pisa his sovereignty over Corsica.
1187, the Pisans retake Bonifacio and build a new fort.
Laws and statutes
The Libro rosso was a collection of ancient Genoese statutes beginning in 1187, now lost, which give Bonifacio the right to mint money and produce salt.
In 1195, the Genoese retook Bonifacio, drove out all its inhabitants except thirty families, and repopulated the city with 400 Ligurian families.
1195, first Genoese Statutes of Bonifacio or 'Capitoli'. The first podestat is Marcellin Drudo.
1196, the Pisans try to take the place by force and are repulsed by the Genoese captain Ansalde Garacco.
In 1198, the Genoese William of Ingone-Tornello fortified the citadel and protected the port with ten galleys.
1203, a very heavy fine paid by Ligurian bandits in Genoa is used to strengthen the castle of Bonifacio.
In 1211, the Germanic emperor Otto IV, an ally of the Republic of Pisa, demanded that the Republic of Genoa return Bonifacio to them.
1216 on his return from Egypt where he took part in the Fifth Crusade, Francis of Assisi stopped at Bonifacio where he spent a season.
1217, Pope Honorius III puts under his protection Bonifacio who is the object of struggles between Pisa and Genoa.
1238, the will of Maestro Guglielmo attests to the existence of a municipal health service.
1258, December 4, Lazare della Rocca recognizes, for his brother Giudice, the sovereignty of Genoa to which he donates part of his Boniface possessions.
1259, January 10, ratifies the act of vassalage and donations to the Republic of Pisa before several witnesses, notables of Bonifacio.
1266, the 27 galleys commanded by the Genoese Admiral Lanfranco Borborino, embark from the port to hunt down Venetian ships crossing off Sardinia.
1270, construction by the Templars of a church that takes the name of St. Dominic to honor the Dominicans who settled there.
1272 Ajaccio was created by the Genoese as a colony on the model of Bonifacio, 100 Ligurian families settled there.
1276, December 11, the podestat Pascal da Mare receives the homage to the Republic of Genoa by Ghiudice de Cinarca.
1278, January 20, the podestat Pierre Mathieu Doria receives the tribute to the Republic of Genoa by Ghiudice de Cinarca.
1278, May 16, new privileges granted to the City by the Republic of Genoa.
1280, Pierre-Mathieu Doria (Pier Matteo Doria) is podestat of Bonifacio. On January 20, Giudice renewed his oath of allegiance to the Genoese,
In 1285, the Genoese of Bonifacio boarded and took three Pisan ships at Porto-Vecchio. With the naval battle of the Meloria the Pisans are forced to leave Corsica.
1290, January 29, Inghetto Doria, who continues the war against Ghiudice de Cinarca begun by his brother Luchetto, returns to Bonifacio where he finds him very ill.
1296, Pope Boniface VIII gives Corsica the title of kingdom.
Struggle between Genoa and Aragon
1297 April 4, Pope Boniface VIII gives Corsica and Sardinia as a perpetual fief to King James II, kings of Aragon, Sicily and Majorca.
1300, the city has about 3,000 inhabitants.
1318, construction under the loggia of the cistern which collects rainwater from the roofs.
1321, Feb. 6, new privileges and new statutes.
1331, Aitone Doria is vicar of the Commune of Genoa in Corsica. He made a pact with Ranieri da Cozzi, then master of the castle of Cinarca and until then a supporter of Alfonso IV of Aragon.
1336, betraying Ranieri, Aitone seizes Cinarca and turns to the main lord of the south, Arrigo Strambo of Laitala, Ranieri's uncle. They conclude an alliance pact with Bonifacio, for the conquest of the island. Arrigo Strambo died the following year, Doria sells Cinarca.
1343, inauguration of the church of St. Dominic, rebuilt on the
ruins of that of the Templars.
1346, November, landing of the troops of Peter IV of Aragon, without success.
1347, April, Nicoloso de Levante, vicar of Genoa and podestat of Bonifacio, receives the submission of the lords Cinarchesi: Guglielmo and Rusteruccio della Rocca, Lupo and Arrigo d'Ornano.
1347, November 29, decree opening a loan of 500 Genoese pounds and constitution of a company with 500 shares for the acquisition of (trade with) Corsica. Advances are made by Maona, a financial company for the alum trade. With the borrowed funds, a naval armament sent to Bonifacio a fleet commanded by Thomas da Murta, a relative of the Doge Giovanni. Outbreak of plague throughout the island.
1358, Genoese law prohibiting all inhabitants from carrying a weapon.
1362, Pope Urban V confirms to King Peter IV of Aragon the suzerainty over Corsica, provided that he definitively renounces any claim to Bonifacio,
1371, deeds added on the First Genoese Statute of Bonifacio or Cartulary of Bonifacio.
1378, deeds inscribed on the Second Genoese Statute of Bonifacio.
1380, Polo della Rovere, appointed by Genoa governor of the two territories that remain loyal to him: Calvi and Bonifacio.
1380, Arrigo della Rocca, Count of Corsica, attacks the city by land and sea.
1381, the discord between Arrigo della Rocca and his allies forced him to abandon the siege.
In 1401, to escape the retaliation of Guelfuccio d'Ornano, Francis della Rocca retired to the city after selling for 1,000 Genoese pounds his lordship of Cinarca to Raphael da Montaldo, whom he named vicar of the Republic of Genoa.
1409, February 10, Francis della Rocca is mortally wounded in the neck by a shepherd during the siege of Biguglia. Her sister Violante della Rocca, who wants to avenge her brother's death with the help of Genoese troops, is defeated at Quenza and must take refuge in the city.
1420, October 21, the fleet of Alfonso V of Aragon (31 ships, 23 triremes and several transport ships) allied with Corsican contingents, attacked the square and landed. It is repulsed by the garrison of 250 Genoese.
1420, December, the podestat of Bonifacio requests a truce from Alfonso V of Aragon and the Corsicans in exchange for thirty Bonifacio hostages.
1420, December 28, Gianno de Campofregoso, brother of Thomas, Doge of Genoa, manages to force the blockade and resupply the Bonifacians.
1421, January 5, forced to help Queen Joan II of Naples, Alfonso V of Aragon raises the siege after appointing Vincentello of Istria, viceroy of Corsica. He will rule the whole island, except Bonifacio and Calvi who will remain loyal to Genoa.
1421, December, the city has about 8,000 inhabitants.
1424, new helping of the Aragonese, commanded by one of the king's brothers. They were pushed back as they entered the city.
1453, from February to May, 6 delegates of the consultation, go before the Senate of Genoa to request the concession of Corsica to the Office of St. George which is the official bank of the Republic of Genoa, while retaining its supreme authority on the island.
1453, June, Pierre-Baptiste Doria, appointed commissioner of the Office of St. George, lands at St. Fiorenza, chases Vincentello II of Istria and the Catalan Juan Villamarina, then takes possession of the squares of Corté, Calvi, Bastia and Bonifacio. The Office pays £ 8,500 to the Doge Galeozzo of Campofregozzo to compensate for the loss of these places.
1454, April 4, the salt pans are closed by the Board to ensure the monopoly of Genoese salt.
1456, April, one of the 4 quarters of the body of Raffe de Léca, hanged with his two brothers after the capture of their castle, is exhibited in the city of Bonifacio by decision of the commissioner of the office. The other quarters are exhibited at Calvi, Corté, and Bigoglia, and his head carried and shown at Genoa.
1459, John II of Aragon, who still claims suzerainty over Corsica, tries to attract the sympathy of the inhabitants, but in vain.
1461, the Boniface William of Orsone helps Louis della Rocca to fight the league formed in Pisa against the Office of St. George and led by Thomassino de Campofregoso, son of Janus, former doge of Genoa, and the granddaughter of Francis of Gentile.
1464, July 12, treaty by which the Office of St. George sells its concession on Corsica to François Sforza, Duke of Milan, with the exception of Bonifacio and Calvi.
1488, Lodiso-Battista de Salvago, podestat, had the bastion built to defend the city.
In January 1490, Rinuccio della Rocca declared his allegiance to Genoa and settled in Bonifacio.
1497, David Grillo is podestat.
1498, funeral of Jean Cattacciolo
1511 - The whole island passes under the direct control of Genoa.
During the first war, the war between the French and the Corsicans against the Genoese
1523, epidemic of black plague which will kill 4,300 inhabitants
out of approximately 5,000 inhabitants.
1529, last death of the plague, construction of the Saint Roch chapel. The commissioner of Genoa is Antoine Ivréa, named Furno in Augustin Gustiniani's Dialogue.
1541, the Turkish fleet, commanded by Dragut besieges the city then withdraws. In October, Charles V, who returned from Africa, made a forced stopover in Corsica and stayed in Bonifacio with Count Philippe Cattacciolo.
1544, June 20, the French under the command of the Duc d'Enghien try to land in vain.
1552, two commissioners, Paul-Vincent Lomellino and Bernard Castagna, are appointed by the Republic of Genoa to inspect the fortifications of Bonifacio and Calvi.
1553, August 26, 2000 Turks take a position to besiege the place.
1553, August 28, the governor of the square is Antoine de Canetto, knight of Malta.
1553, August 31, Pierre-Jacques d'Ornano leaves Porto-Vecchio and comes to urge the Bonifaciens to surrender.
1553, September 14, Dragut launches a first offensive which fails. the Marshal of the Baths charge Dominique Cattaciollo, Alto-Bello de Gentile and Jacques-Toussaint II da Mare to obtain the surrender, promising that the city will not be plundered. Governor Antoine de Canetto and the Senate of Bonifacio accept the surrender.
1553, September 15, Dominique Cattaciollo, Jacques-Toussaint II da Mare and Napoleon de Livia enter the citadel and take possession of the square and city in the name of the King of France. The Turks enter the port, massacre the 298 Genoese soldiers and demand from the French the payment of 25,000 pounds to compensate for the non-looting of the city. Not having the money, Marshal des Thermes gave his nephew N de Montastruc hostage.
1553, September 21, three French companies of Gascons commanded by N. de Valleron, leave San-Fioranzo to take possession of the place,
1553, September 22, Dragut's fleet sets sail for Constantinople.
1553, November 21, a fleet of thirty-two galleys, commanded by Paulin de La Garde, brought reinforcements. Achille de Harlay is governor.
During the second war, that of Sampiero against the Genoese
1554, February 24, Marshal de Thermes instructs Sampiero Corso to put the citadel in a state of defense with a view to a Genoese counter-offensive,
1555: the French join forces with the Turks who ravage Bonifacio.
1556, January 24, a Genoese fleet of twelve galleys, commanded by Admiral Jean-Andréa Doria, prepares to retake the place, but a storm sinks nine of them.
1556, February 6, Sampiero Corso dismisses Governor La Molla, whom he suspects of connivance with the Genoese, and replaces him with the commander of the two companies of Gascons, Jean de Cros.
1557, December 21, a French convoy of three galleys and three transports, unloads a contingent of French deported to repopulate Bonifacio.
1558, May, another helping hand from the Genoese armies commanded by Georges Doria.
1559, September 18, in application of the Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis, Bonifacio is handed over to the Genoese by Jean de Cros and Jean Orsini. Thomas-Odoricci Gentilé and Christophe de Négri, appointed by Genoa arrive on the 27th.
1562, September 2, Jean-Pierre Vivaldi, appointed commissioner of Genoa.
1563, March, the Bonifaciens Vitu de serafini and Mathieu Aldrovandi go to Genoa to request confirmation of the privileges of the city and obtain it.
1563, March 28, the citadel receives twelve cannons,
1571, November 12, the Civil and Criminal Statutes of Corsica are published by the Genoese (they come into force on February 1 of the following year), a commission is given to a civil and criminal lieutenant for Bonifacio.
The civil and criminal statutes of the community of Bonifacio
The civil and criminal statutes of the community of Bonifacio, drawn up by Gio-Batista Mazzolaccio, notary, and published in 1619 by the Republic of Genoa. The podesta is replaced by a commissioner of the Republic of Genoa appointed for two years from among the Genoese nobles. He ensures the peace and justice of the canton of Bonifacio and ensures the maintenance of the institutions of the city of Bonifacio, which owes Genoa neither tribute nor military service. The city has the power to defend itself, to administer itself, to levy taxes on its inhabitants and taxes on goods. The municipal council of fifty members is reduced by half (twenty-five elected members over 30 years old, able to read and write and not being nobles of Genoa or members of the Church plus four elders, all elected and renewable every years). The elders are the executive, their seal is deposited with the prior and the measures they can propose in all areas, must be approved by 2/3 of the councilors. The election takes place in three stages: co-opting of candidates by the families, voting, then drawing lots to allocate skills. Municipal officers are hired by the council:
minestroli enforce decisions,
the port guards do the customs,
estimatore dellà communiti estimate livestock or other damage,
the conservatori di sonità prescribe the care that is free for all the inhabitants, make the sanitary visits of the boats and decide the quarantines.
1584, April 4, Chancellor Michel Galetti, of Bonifacio, is invested by La Plume et l'encrier.
In 1587, Francesco Stefani arrived from Genoa with two galleys to fight the Barbarians who infested the coasts. With the Boniface Baptist of Vitto, he chases them out, killing seventy men and sinking seven Turkish galleons.
1588, June, a barbaric fleet of 11 galleons commanded by Hassan Pasha destroys the hamlet of Ogliastru near the navy of Albo and kidnaps about forty inhabitants who will be sold to Algiers as slaves.
1641-1788, private foundation of a Mount of Piety called Opera Antonio Anselmo (AMB Series Companies and Works).
In 1645, Commissioner Jean-Baptiste Doria had two pits built to serve as grain silos, one in Place Lomenilla for the inhabitants, the other for the garrison.
1646, the city council hires two Sardinian priests to instruct the children in the school of Bonifacio.
1650, there are 200 men at the garrison.
In 1650, the physician Laurent Millelis de Levante was hired to replace a Milanese. His successor will be Blaso, a Neapolitan, then Jean-Baptiste Leccia, a Genoese, then Laurent Sansonio, a Sardinian.
1657, December, plague epidemic, 250 dead.
1671, a law that specifies that those who have not been Corsicans for at least three generations cannot be elected commissioners of Ajaccio, Calvi and Bonifacio.
1677, printing in Milan, of Orazioni, by Thomas Luccioni, preacher of Bonifacio.
1682, map of the city by J. Petre, architect in Arles, then hydrographer in Marseille.
1693, the Bonifacian Michel Portafax, hired as a physician.
1698, the population of the city is 1,967 inhabitants.
1713, edition in Marseille of a map of Corsica and its cities, including that of Bonifacio.
During the great Corsican revolt against Genoa
1729, the population of the city is 2,409 inhabitants.
1733, July 16, the port is monitored, permits are required for all ships leaving Corsica
1735, all Corsican squares are controlled by the Genoese.
1736, Theodore de Neuhoff, king of Corsica under the name of Theodore I, decides to drive out the Genoese and entrusts Ange-Louis Luccioni with the commission to take Bonifacio. But he sells the secret plans to attack the place to the Genoese. He is sentenced to death by the king and shot.
1750, the population is 2,400.
1753, the population is 2,300, including about a hundred farmers and about sixty day laborers.
1759, arrival of the new Genoese commissioner for Corsica Jean-Baptiste de Sopranis to replace Jacques-Marie Doria.
1759, May 23, in the church of St. John the Baptist, the Genoese commissioner Thomas Spinola calls the supporters of Genoa to a "consulta."
1764, August 26 night, Charles François Dumouriez lands in Corsica at Porto-Vecchio to overthrow Pascal Paoli, he tries in vain to take Bonifacio and re-embarks.
1765, three Bonifacians, Filipo Cresci, Paschiani and Matrana decide to hand over their city to the nationalists and meet Octave Colonna of Istria to develop the attack that is to take place by sea. But the Pisans are aware of the project and the assailants who show up at the door do not find the planned internal support and leave.
1766, October, King Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia claims and occupies the Boches Islands (Lavezzi Islands, Cavallo, La Madeleine, Caprera, St. Stephen's, Razzoli and Spargi) which have always belonged to Bonifacio.
1767, May, Treaty of Versailles, cession of Corsica by the Republic of Genoa to the Kingdom of France, Article 10 provides that all concessions and privileges of the Island will be abolished, but that the King of France will take into account those of the inhabitants of Bonifacio, Calvi and Fiorenza.
1769, April 26, 300 men of the Royal Artillery Corps take possession of the square.
1770, April, creation of the civil court.
1766 September 21, fifth session of the Corsican states, Bonifacio is taxed.
1766, October 1, installation of the post office.
1766, December 24, Special Customs Tariff of Corsica, in order to protect local productions.
1772, May 9, a university is established at Corte with four faculties and four colleges at Bastia, Ajaccio, Cervioni, and Calvi.
1773, The Provincial Assembly of Sartène-Bonifacio, which has 2,236 fires, has the right to six deputies (one of each order per 1,000 fires) in the Assembly of Corsican States (three of each order).
1775, June 20, a school with two masters is established in
Bonifacio by the Assembly of Corsican States.
1775, end of construction of the Montlaur barracks started by the Genoese.
1783, October 28, Antoine Constantini, of Bonifacio, is responsible for re-embarking for Malta all the Corsicans banished for having sided with the English (in 1776) during the war against France.
1784, signing in Bonifacio of an amnesty treaty in which the king, offended, asks all his jurisdictions, because of the Returned Peace, to kindly release the guilty of banishment and all other penalties.
During the French Revolution
1789, December, the administration of all the cities is reorganized by the Constituent Assembly under the name of communes.
1792, May 8, a project to invade Sardinia is presented to the National Legislative Assembly by Antoine Constantini, mayor of Bonifacio, deputy extraordinary. Accepted by the National Council of the Legislative Assembly, Pascal Paoli will be appointed lieutenant general of the 21st military region and responsible for preparing operations.
1793, January 25, Napoleon Bonaparte stayed in the Passano house in Bonifacio to prepare for the invasion of Sardinia. But Paoli is against it.
1792, February 19, embarkation from Bonifacio to retake the islands of Boches.
1793, June 19, Antoine-Marie Suzzareli, member of the provisional government of Corsica and Thomas-André Celani are elected nationalist deputies of the community of Bonifacio.
1802, opening of a school by the Brothers of the Christian Schools
1803, organization of the Corsican hunter battalions, that of Bonifacio has 150 men
1804, official installation of the Masonic Lodge La Fraternité
1813, the statue of the Holy Trinity is stolen by Sardinian bandits from the Hermitage of the Trinity
1817, the lieutenancy of the Gendarmerie is closed
1821, October 30, a Neapolitan-type felucca hacks light craft
1823, opening of a cantonal mutual school, opening of the current cemetery
1827, the lieutenancy of the gendarmerie is reopened
1833, on April 7, 1833, the mayor Nicolas Trani was beaten and insulted in the church, and two gendarmes were seriously injured during the funeral of the parish priest
1854, construction of the Porte Neuve by the Military Engineers
1855, sinking of the French frigate La Sémillante on the Lavezzi Islands (773 soldiers or sailors dead)
1858, opening of a private Bonifacio-Ajaccio maritime line by the company Valéry Frères
1859, the imperial Ajaccio-Bonifacio road is completed
1865, project for a Bonifacio-Bastia railway line
1962, arrival from Algeria of the 2nd foreign infantry regiment
1982, departure of the Foreign Legion for Nîmes.
The work, owned by the department, is listed as a Historic Monument.