10 largest cities in France
Kaysersberg (Alsatian: Kaisersbari) is a former French commune located in the Haut-Rhin department, in the Grand Est region. This small town is located in the historical and cultural region of Alsace region and, on January 1, 2016, became a delegated municipality of the new municipality of Kaysersberg Vignoble. Its inhabitants are called the Kaysersbergeois and Kaysersbergeoises.
Church of the Invention-de-la-Sainte-Croix of Kaysersberg (13th -
Parish church, dedicated to Holy Cross. It was started around 1230. The Romanesque portal and the central nave are from the thirteenth century, while the choir and side naves date from the fifteenth and sixteenth century. The interior is decorated with an altarpiece from 1518, the work of Jean Bongart. A triumphant Christ, with the statues of the Virgin and of Saint John, 15th century, suspended under the vault of the transept, a Holy Sepulcher in stone completed in 1514 by the master builder Jacques Wirt, a moving Lamentation of Christ (1521) , a seated Saint Jacques (1523), a bust of Saint Blaise, a statue of Saint John (around 1510), a luminous stained glass window of Calvary, the work of Pierre d'Andlau of Strasbourg (1470), the Roman baptismal font, are of 'other gems.
Chapels of Kaysersberg
The chapel and the adjoining property once belonged to the Abbey of Pairis, near Orbey. It was built in 1391 thanks to the generosity of Wetzel Berwart, who died in 1396. He is buried in the chapel where the tombstone is still visible. The building was enlarged and consecrated a second time in 1473. During the Revolution the chapel was sold and bought by the former manager Pierre Eckert. Today it belongs to the Salzmann-Thomann family and houses several polychrome statues from the 18th and 19th centuries, the centerpieces being a 14th century Madonna and Child and the butt of the Abbess of Alsace.
Saint-Alexis Chapel (16th century)
The Saint-Alexis chapel located in the forest, between the communal benches of Riquewihr and Fréland was part of an old hermitage until the 17th century. The town of Kaysersberg then transforms the hermitage into a farm and rents it out until it sells to individuals at the beginning of the 19th century. the chapel was restored and enlarged by Aimé Maire in 1887 with the addition of a rounded choir and a steeple. It contains a bas relief from the beginning of the sixteenth century representing the death of Saint-Alexis and incorporating all the characteristics of the late Gothic style. The sculpture is presented in a baroque frame bordered on the sides of fluted columns serving as support for the polychrome statuettes of Saint Joseph and Saint Madeleine.
St. Wolfgang Chapel
Chapel of Our Lady of the Scapular