10 largest cities in France
Paris
Marseilles
Lyon
Toulouse
Nice
Nantes
Strasbourg
Orleans
Reims
Avignon

 

Nancy

 

Nancy is a French commune located in Lorraine on the banks of the Meurthe a few kilometers upstream from its point of confluence with the Moselle, a tributary of the Rhine, 281 km east of Paris and 116 km west of Strasbourg . It is the prefecture of the Meurthe-et-Moselle department, in the Grand Est region. Its inhabitants are called the Nancéiens.

Capital of the Duchy of Lorraine until its attachment to the Kingdom of France in 1766, bishopric since 1777, Nancy is the capital of the department of Meurthe from 1790 to 1871 then of Meurthe-et-Moselle from 1871 It is also famous for its Place Stanislas, named after the last Duke of Lorraine, which is part of an 18th century complex classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It also has many buildings classified as historical monuments and it is one of the European centers of Art Nouveau thanks to the School of Nancy.

The intramural population amounted to 104,072 inhabitants on January 1, 2013, making Nancy the second most populous municipality in Lorraine after Metz. With 435,356 inhabitants in 2016, the urban area of ​​Nancy is the most populous in Lorraine, the second in the Grand Est after that of Strasbourg and the twentieth in France. Nancy is also one of the main university towns and the agglomeration is home to one of the main health centers in France.

 

Destinations

Old Town
Place Saint-Epvre
Place Saint-Epvre is a circular square in the Old Town of Nancy. This square is known for the Saint-Epvre basilica which is contiguous to it, as well as for the arcades which border it. Place Saint-Epvre is a square located in the Old Town of Nancy, in the immediate vicinity of the Lorraine Museum, the Place de la Carrière and the Pépinière. It serves as the square for the Saint-Epvre Basilica. Many roads lead to Place Saint-Epvre, including: rue de la Charité, rue du Duc-Raoul, rue des Dames, as well as rue Monseigneur-Trouillet. The Grande-Rue runs along the square and extends on both sides, bordering the Palace of the Dukes of Lorraine located to the north-east.

Origin of the name
It bears this name in memory of the old parish church of the Old Town of Nancy, dedicated to Saint Epvre, 7th bishop of Toul, built from 1436 to 1451, demolished in 1863 to make way for the current basilica, built in 1863 to 1875.