10 largest cities in France
Paris
Marseilles
Lyon
Toulouse
Nice
Nantes
Strasbourg
Orleans
Reims
Avignon

 

Neufchâtel-Hardelot

 

Neufchâtel-Hardelot is a French commune located in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Hauts-de-France region. The municipal territory is divided into two geographically distant and very different socio-economic areas: the village of Neufchâtel and the “upscale” seaside resort of Hardelot-Plage. Until 1954, the town bore the name of Neufchâtel, Hardelot was only a station attached to the village.

 

History

A secondary Roman road linking Boulogne-sur-Mer to Étaples passed through Neufchâtel-Hardelot, to the hamlet of the path, coming from Condette through the Hardelot forest and going towards Dannes. According to some sources, this hamlet also ended (there is discussion on the subject), the Lillebonne-Boulogne-sur-Mer route.

At the end of the 7th century, the warrens of Neufchâtel, known as “Mont Saint-Frieux”, housed a village at an altitude of 153 meters. Legend has it that two hermit brothers lived there, Judoc and Férioc.

The latter's French name is Saint Férieux, which would have given its name to Saint-Frieux. Judoc is honored to him under the name of Saint Josse. On the site of their hermitage would have been built a chapel. In the church of Saint-Pierre de Neufchâtel, four stained-glass windows still retrace the life of these two brothers today: on the right side in the chapel of the Sacred Heart, that of Saint Frieux, on the left side in the chapel of the Rosary, that of Saint Josse.

After 1237, the holder of the seigneury of the Maréchallerie in Neufchâtel, was one of the four hereditary peers (peerage) of the county of Boulogne, he bears the title of marshal.

The Duke of Burgundy Philippe le Bold, (Philippe II of Burgundy), was present in Neufchâtel in March 1392 ː he sent letters from the village in favor of the city of Arras.

In 1664, Neufchâtel presented the remains of a camp considered to be a former Roman camp.

The commune of Neufchâtel, between Dannes and Condette, was between 1790 and 1801 a village of 821 inhabitants living on an area of ​​2,088 hectares. It belonged to the bailliage of Choquel and Bellefontaine. The name of Neufchâtel would have its origin in a fortified castle, the castle of Bellefontaine, which was swallowed up by quicksand. Was this the “Novum Castellum” which would have given its name to Neufchâtel. Many historians say so. Still, we find for the first time the name of Neufchâtel in 1173 and in 1199 in the charter of Samer.

During storms or mists, strandings sometimes occur. Wrecks are refloated or the remains are sold in the hinterland. For example, on October 8, 1813, an English ship, the Doubt loaded with iron and coal, broke entirely "by taking land on the coast of the commune of Neufchatel"; its cargo was entirely lost and 5 of the 8 crew members perished.

During the nineteenth century and this essentially under the Second Empire and the Third Republic, a major campaign, subsidized by the State, was launched to plant marigolds and to control and stabilize the dunes. Neufchâtel was then confronted with the advance of these and one feared to see the hamlet of the Chemin swallowed up by the advance of the sand.

In the first half of the twentieth century, in 1905, Hardelot-Plage was strongly developed, in particular thanks to its founder John Whitley, an English patron, who wanted to make Hardelot the new fashionable seaside resort and the social center of sports . The name of Hardelot comes from that of an old fortified castle in the town of Condette, the latter was at the time the property of John Whitley.

The addition of Hardelot to the name of the town was made in 1954.