10 largest cities in France
Paris
Marseilles
Lyon
Toulouse
Nice
Nantes
Strasbourg
Orleans
Reims
Avignon

 

Saint-Quentin

 

Saint-Quentin is a French commune located in the department of Aisne, in the Hauts-de-France region. With the largest population of the department, of which it is a sub-prefecture, Saint-Quentin is the ninth most populous municipality in the region. The Picardy city is located on the Somme. The inhabitants of Saint-Quentin are the Saint-Quentinois.

In 2016, the municipality and its urban community received the French Tech label for connected objects.

 

Destinations

Saint-Quentin Basilica
The Saint-Quentin Basilica is a French Catholic church located in the town of Saint-Quentin in the department of Aisne. This basilica, dedicated to Saint Quentin, martyr of the third century is an original building belonging entirely to the Gothic style of which it brings together all the evolutions. It is linked to the history of the devotion to Saint Quentin, of which it contains the relics object of an important cult in the Middle Ages. Its construction is contemporary with that of Notre-Dame de Paris and the Cathedral of Soissons. The building, protected as a historical monument, was classified on the first list of 1840.


Saint-Martin Church of Saint-Quentin
The Saint-Martin church is located in Saint-Quentin, in the Aisne department. It is dedicated to the apostle of the Gauls, Saint Martin.

The Saint-Martin suburb, to the south of the city, lacked a church while its population increased: it was decided to build a place of Catholic worship there in 1886, thanks to the intervention of Canon Dehon. Destroyed during the First World War, the openwork reinforced concrete spire was rebuilt in 1929 in the art deco style by A. Vapillon.


Saint-Quentin town hall
The town hall of Saint-Quentin is one of the finest examples of civil architecture from the Middle Ages in Picardy. Symbol of communal freedoms, its architecture reveals a certain Flemish influence. The town hall is located on the Place de l'Hotel de Ville in the commune of Saint-Quentin, in the department of Aisne, France.

The construction of the town hall of Saint-Quentin began in 1331 and was completed in 1509. The monument was altered during the third quarter of the 19th century and extensively restored in 1926 after the destruction of the town during the Great War, in Art Deco style by architect Louis Guindez. The monument is classified as historical monuments by decree of August 29, 1984.


Antoine-Lécuyer Museum
The Antoine Lécuyer Museum of Fine Arts, located in Saint-Quentin (Aisne), houses a collection of pastels by Maurice Quentin de La Tour (1704-1788) and a collection of works and objects of art.

In order to present Quentin de La Tour's studio collection in a dignified and specific place, the Picard banker Antoine Lécuyer (1793-1878) bequeathed his collections in 1876 as well as a place and the funds intended to receive and exhibit the works. The development of the museum is undertaken under the direction of the architect Charles-Napoléon Pinguet (1806-1888): the Antoine-Lécuyer museum is inaugurated in 1886, and presents the pastels of Maurice Quentin de La Tour as well as collections of banking arts. This collection was added to another bequest made to the city of Saint-Quentin in 1881-1883, that of the brothers Félix and Josias Le Sérurier, also from this city. The building was almost completely destroyed during the First World War during a bombardment but the works, sheltered, are preserved. On the model of an 18th century Parisian mansion, the Hanover pavilion, it was rebuilt between 1928 and 1932 by Paul Bigot, winner of the Prix de Rome, to showcase the works of the pastellist. It is another philanthropic banker, David David-Weill, who as president of the Society of Friends of the Museum of La Tour, collaborated in the reconstruction and reopening of this museum.