Oropos Archaeological Site (Ωρωπός)



Location: Kalamos, Attica Map

Tel. 22960 22426

Open: daily

Closed: public holidays


Description of Oropos Archaeological Site

Oropos Archaeological Site is ancient archaeological site situated near Kalamos in the Eastern Attica region of Greece. Colonists from Eretria first settled banks of small river Cheimarros. Local farms was the key in growth of the city and its wealth. All products were shipped from a Oropos harbour of Delphinium situated at the mouth of Asopus river a mile (1.6 km) North of the city. In the 6th century BC the city was seceded to the Athens after defeat of mother town of Eretria. In the ancient times Oropos Archaeological Site became famous for its oracle of Amphiaraus. Traditionally all visitors threw coins in the sacred spring. Ancient Greeks believed that this spring had miraculous powers. According to local legends Greek hero Amphiaraos (pictured on a frieze on the left) was saved by most important god Zeus during a battle. Greek warrior disappeared with his chariot in the midst of a battle only to reappear on a site of a spring. Ancients believed that donating small amounts would grant them wealth and good luck.


Ancient Oropos was a complex with the main temple, a sacred spring, numerous altars and porticoes. Additionally a small theatre put up religious performances. Worshippers who came here slept on skins of slaughtered rams before they went to consult with the oracle himself. With the arrival of Christianity the pagan cult was eventually abandoned. The settlement of Oropos Archaeological Site went into a decline as well.


Ancient times
Oropos in antiquity was the strong rural center of Graia in the city of Tanagra in Boeotia and originally belonged to the Pandionida tribe. The area is located in the current location of Skala, on the border between the administrative power of Thebes and Athenians. In 373 BC. the city destroyed by the Boeotians falls to the Athenians, while later it becomes an independent district of Attica. Geographically, it covers the area from today's Tanagra, Boeotia, to Kalamos, Attica.

Modern Times
In Byzantine times it was an active rural center, while during the Greek-Turkish war the area was looted and the Turkish supply base was installed on it.

After the first administrative division of the Greek state in 1833, the Municipality of Oropos was formed, which initially joined the province of Thebes. In 1840 the municipality of Oropos was abolished and merged with the Municipality of Perea in the province of Attica. The seat of this municipality, which covered the entire northern area of ​​Attica up to Parnitha and Marathon, was Oropos. In 1871 the municipality of Perea was renamed the Municipality of Oropia and its new seat became Skala Oropou. Within its administrative boundaries, the municipality included the settlements from Skala and Malakasa, to Kalamos and Agios Apostolos. In 1912 the Municipality of Oropia was divided into communities. Oropos was during this period the seat of the community of Oropos which was maintained until 2002. This year the Community of Oropos united with the communities of Skala Oropos and Nea Palatia forming the Municipality of Oropos based in Skala Oropos.

Settlements and neighboring communities
Today satellite villages of the traditional rural center are Skala, Markopoulo, Nea Palatia, Sykamino, Halkoutsi, Agios Konstantinos, the resort area of ​​Agioi Apostoloi, the village of Milesi and Avlonas, a town in Attica. The holiday settlements of Dilesi and Plaka belong to the Municipality of Tanagra in the prefecture of Viotia.