Akrata

 

The Municipality of Akrata was a Municipality of the Prefecture of Achaia that was established with the Kapodistrias program by the amalgamation of older Communities of the area, which then formed the 14 Municipal Districts of the Municipality that operated in the period 1997 - 2010 (population: 5,899, 2001 census) was abolished with the implementation of the Kallikratis program and joined as a Municipal Unit in the newly established Municipality of Egialia.

The seat of the municipality was the village of Akrata.

 

History

It was created for the first time in 1878 until 1912 and again in 1985 where it consisted of Akratas, Silivaniotika, Porovitsa and Krathio. In 1997, with the unification of the Communities provided by the "Kapodistrias plan", the Communities (Municipal Districts) Agia Varvara, Ampelos, Voutsimos, Valimi, Zarouchla, Kalamias, Mesorrougi, Platanos, Platanos Beach, Peristera were added.

The settlements of Vounaki, Chalkianika, Agridi, Ano Potamia, Kato Potamia, Tsivlos, Pyrgos, Goumaika, Fourni, Paleostafida and Kryoneri also belonged to the "Kapodistrian" Municipality (1997 - 2010).

 

They served as mayors
Angelis Deloukas: 1879 - ??
Nikolaos Papathanassopoulos: 1986 - 1994
Konstantinos Spiliotopoulos: 1998 - 2002
Panagiotis Melis: 2002 - 2010

 

Settlement of Akrata
The large settlement of Akrata had 1,781 inhabitants (2001 census). Its name is corruption of Krathis, name of the river that crosses it. Near the village are the ruins of the ancient city of Aegean and its ancient theater. It is 70 km from Patras.

Sights
Lake Tsivlou on the road from Akrata to Zarouchla. In Peristera there is the "Fountain of Golf" where the film of the same name was shot. In Akrata is the Holy Monastery of the Holy Trinity. At the border with the Municipality of Kalavrita are the springs Waters of Stygos.

Geography
The former Municipality is crossed by Krathis which springs near Solo at the foot of Helmos.