Astros

 

Astros is a town and seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria, in the province of Kynouria in the prefecture of Arcadia. It is located in a fertile and extensive plain that has an important strategic position. In the 2011 census it had 2,285 inhabitants. Its inhabitants are engaged in agriculture, olive growing, viticulture and animal husbandry, although in recent years tourism has accumulated the lion's share in the employment of its inhabitants.

 

History

The first official reference of the city with the name "Astros" is found in a gold bull of the year 1293 of the emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos. In this golden bull, the metropolitan of Monemvasia takes the office of the exarch of the Peloponnese and his ecclesiastical rights are determined. In the year 1256 on the hill of Paralio Astros, a few kilometers outside Astros, the Castle of Paralio Astros was built by the Frankish ruler, William Villehardouin, to subdue the disobedient Tsakonians who lived in the area. The older name (before 1961) as mentioned in various historical sources, was "Agiannitika Kalivia", because its first inhabitants came mainly from the mountain village of Agios Ioannis in the prefecture of Arcadia. In the area there were ancient cities such as Thyrea, Anthini, Niriida and Eva in which is the famous Villa of Herod of Attica.

The Archaeological Museum of Astros houses interesting exhibits from the villa of Herodes Atticus, such as inscriptions, marble sculptures, architectural members, statue heads, as well as a votive relief with Hermes and the nymphs. Also, ceramics from the cemeteries of Elliniko Kynouria and other interesting works of the 2nd and 3rd AD are exhibited. century as well as a tombstone of the 4th BC. Due to lack of space, many wonderful works are located in the courtyard. Today, where the Archaeological Museum is located in 1805, a branch of the Karytsiotis school of Agios Ioannis (1798) was founded in Astros, where young people from the surrounding areas studied. Together with the school, Dimitrios Karytsiotis from Agianni (1741 - 1819), donated a large area, the so-called Agrokipio (today a stadium). Astros played an important role in the Revolution: on March 29, 1823, the Second National Assembly was formed there, chaired by Petrobei Mavromichalis, to vote on the revision of the first Greek Constitution of Epidaurus.

With the first administrative division of the Greek state, it joined the Municipality of Thyreas, which had its original seat in Agios Ioannis. From 1912 the settlement was the seat of a community which developed into a municipality in 1985. Since 1998 Astros is the seat of the Municipality of North Kynouria.

The city
The city has three squares, two larger and one smaller, the main one, with many shops and stores. It has a Primary School, Gymnasium, Lyceum, EPAL, Archaeological Museum, which was the former school of Karytsioti (1805). It also has City Hall and municipal services, Health Center, banks and post office. It has a football pitch with artificial turf and an indoor gym.

Next to Astros is the village of Meligou, which is spatially integrated in the town. Most of the inhabitants of Astros come from the surrounding villages and especially from Agios Ioannis, and many live in Paralio Astros which is located at a distance of 4 km.

In the area and on the route from Astros to Tripoli through Kato Doliana, is the area of ‚Äč‚ÄčAncient Eva, where the ruins of the villa of Herodes Atticus lie. Nearby is the Monastery of Loukous.

It is the place of origin of the Deputy Minister of Health Vassilis Kontozamanis.

 

Geography

Climate
Astros is located in the central-eastern Peloponnese and has a Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers, as well as mild winters. The area is classified as category C in the Kepen climate classification.