Foinikounta

 

Foinikounta or Finikouda, and formerly known as the Tavern or Lachanada Beach, is a coastal settlement near Methoni and is administratively part of the Municipality of Pylos - Nestoros, in the Prefecture of Messinia. Finikounda is today a large fishing village on the homonymous beach, with significant tourist development and is located south of Lachanada, which is the port. It is built together with its neighbor Loutsa in the western corner of the base of an imaginary isosceles triangle, facing south, which forms the Cape of Akrita (also known as Kapo - Gallo or Kavogalo).

 

Location

Foinikounta is located southeast of Methoni, from which it is about 10 km, southwest of Pylos, from which it is about 20 km and west of Koroni, from which it is about 18.5 km. It is located on the 13th Provincial Road Harakopiou - Methoni, has an altitude of 0-5 meters and is bathed by the sea. Near Finikounda are also located, to the north Lachanada, at a distance of about 2 km, to the east, Iameia at 7 km, Akritochori at 4 km and Loutsa at a distance of about 2 km and to the west the Windmill , which is only about 850 meters.

 

History

The area of ​​the village Foinikounta has a long history that follows the history of Messinia and the wider area of ​​both Methoni and Pylia. In ancient times, it was part of the kingdom of Nestor, of ancient Pylos. It is claimed by researchers that it was founded by the Phoenicians who colonized the coasts of the Peloponnese at this point, although not everyone agrees with this estimate. In the recent past it was a small fishing village founded, at least from the middle of the 19th century, and according to local tradition, in the 1840s, by residents of nearby Lachanada, who were refugees from Crete. It was originally called "Tavern" (1879-1928), due to the tavern that existed there. This tavern is known based on local tradition as the "Tavern of Bagasa" (Panagopoulos), who is considered to have been the first resident of the village. In 1928 it was temporarily renamed "Lachanada Beach" (1928-1930), while in 1930 it received its current name as "Phoenicians". In recent decades it has developed into one of the most important tourist resorts in Messinia, taking advantage mainly of the fact that it is surrounded by long sandy beaches. The area has developed in recent years a complete tourist infrastructure, with numerous rooms and rooms for rent, five campsites and a large number of restaurants, cafes and tourist shops.

The Phoenician Port
In front of Foinikounta and its neighbor Loutsa was, in antiquity, the "Phoenician port", which Pausanias mentions in his "Messinian".