Karpenisi is the capital of the Prefecture of Evritania and the Municipality of Karpenisi. It is located in the center of the Prefecture, on the southwest side of Timfristos at an altitude of 970 meters. It is 78 km from Lamia and 111 km from Agrinio, via the Episkopi Bridge.
The word Karpenisi comes from the Aromanian word kárpinu (oyster,
gabbro) + comprehensive suffix -iş, also from the Latin carpinus,
which means gabbro, oyster; it is a phytonym. Therefore, the
etymologically correct spelling is Karpenisi. The -η- appears from
paretymology with the Greek word island. For the first time the
place name is mentioned in a Turkish inventory of 1454/5.
In the area there have been since ancient times various settlements on the outskirts of today's city. In one of them, at the northern foot of "Paliokastro" (hill of Agios Dimitrios), was found the famous "Treasure of Karpenisi", a collection of 35 masterpieces of Hellenistic goldsmithing.
It appears as a settlement from the Byzantine years. During the Turkish occupation, it held a dominant position in the region in terms of agricultural development. Residents of the area, took part in the uprising of 1600 and 1611, by the Metropolitan of Trikala and Larissa Dionysios the Philosopher. In 1645, the Teacher of the Genus Eugenios Giannoulis, founded a School where he also taught from time to time. In the period 1684 - 1699, in the area of Karpenisi, the armatolos Livinis rebelled against the Turks. He achieved a significant victory near the village of Goliani, in 1684 (the hill on which the battle took place took its name), while a year later he was killed in battle in the village of Arachova. Later, Slavs settled in the area and fell from the Peloponnese. The Venetians, for the better organization of the rebel armatols, set up a central camp in the city with their commanders Bosina and Lubozovic. Liberakis Gerakaris also settled in the city, when he decided to campaign against Central Greece. To please the locals, he started building various churches. Among them, the Holy Trinity in Karpenisi. When he decided to attack again in the Peloponnese, the Venetians attacked Karpenisi and looted it. After the Treaty of Karlovic, Karpenisi again fell into the hands of the Ottomans.
Karpenisi took part in the revolution of 1821. The Revolution was proclaimed in Karpenisi by the local chiefs of Gioldasai and Vraskas but superior Turkish forces from Lamia neutralized the besiegers. Soon, however, the rebels regrouped and drove the Turks out of the city. Near Karpenisi, at Kefalovrysso, Markos Botsaris, a fighter from Souli, was killed in a battle with the Turks, on August 9, 1823.
Karpenisi and one hundred other villages of Southern Evrytania were set on fire by three German battalions on August 10, 1944 and until August 17 of the same year.
Karpenisi, like the whole prefecture, is located in a mountainous area of important natural beauty, rich in vegetation. The traditional architecture has been preserved to a large extent, both in the surrounding villages and in the city, with a number of well-preserved buildings. The "Mountain Museum" and the "KIPE - Cultural History Center of Evritania" operate in the city, while in the surrounding villages there are many folklore museums.
At a distance of 11 km is the ski center of Velouchi.