Loutraki is a city in the prefecture of Corinth. It is 84 kilometers from Athens and 4 from Corinth and according to the 2011 census had 11,564 inhabitants. It is a recognized spa town since 1925, a tourist resort known for its thermal baths, mineral waters and casino. It is bathed by the Corinthian gulf, and is the seat of the municipality of Loutraki-Agios Theodoros, while above the city dominate the Geraneia mountains. It is located in the geographical region of Peloponnese.
In ancient times the area was known as Perea land and
in the place of Loutraki was the ancient village of Thermes or
Thermai, known since antiquity for its thermal springs. It was
considered a favorite city of the gods and its patron saint was
The current name of Loutraki is due to its thermal springs - baths.
Loutraki is a municipality of the Prefecture of Corinth, together with Perachora - of which it was originally a port - Agios Theodoros, Isthmia, Poseidonia, Schinos, Pisia and the holiday settlements around and near Lake Vouliagmeni.
The earthquake of 1928
Loutraki was completely destroyed by the strong earthquake of Corinth in 1928. Only a few buildings survived on the small rocky promontory between the park and the thermal springs. A reconstruction organization was then set up that constructed many anti-seismic buildings in accordance with the concepts of the technology of that time. These are simple, strict two-storey buildings made entirely of concrete. There are still many on the main road. With the rubble of the demolished buildings and the lands that receded from the Grava hill, a large part of the north side of the coast was excavated and the rich large municipal park was created. The thermal spring with the characteristic circular shape was also built, decorated internally with rich large mosaics created by artists and students of the School of Fine Arts.
On February 24, 1981, Loutraki was hit again by a triple earthquake resulting in some building collapses and a lot of damage. More impressive was the collapse of the eight-storey hotel "Apollon" which was located on the site where the casino was later built and another multi-storey hotel, "Kontis" on Corinth Street (which was later rebuilt and reopened). In the same earthquake we had almost complete destruction of Perachora. These damages were followed by extensive work to strengthen the load-bearing structures of most buildings. Now Loutraki is considered a city particularly shielded against the possibility of a new earthquake.
On Mount Geraneia just above Loutraki is the monastery of Osios Patapios, built in the 11th century. It is accessible by car and offers impressive views of the Northern Peloponnese, the Isthmus of Corinth and the Saronic Gulf. In the area of the thermal springs there is the church of Agios Andreas built in 1345 by Ioannis Kantakouzinos.
The first casino in Greece operated in Loutraki in 1930. The current casino has been operating since 1995. At a distance of 14 km to the West is Lake Vouliagmeni, a closed deep sea bay that communicates with the Corinthian with a narrow strait 6-8 meters wide where the phenomenon of water inflow and outflow due to tide is observed to a small extent. At a distance of 4 km to the south, in the direction of Corinth is the Corinth Canal.
Loutraki has a cosmopolitan beach of Loutraki. This is a beach of 3.5 km that starts from the Corinth canal and ends in the coastal park of Loutraki. It consists of small pebbles and deepens quickly. Many seafront cafes provide bathtubs with sunbeds and umbrellas at no extra charge. The municipality ensures safe swimming, with the presence of lifeguards. There are showers for bathers along the entire length of the beach, while the beach is accessible for people with mobility problems. Its orientation is west, so bathers enjoy the sunsets behind the coast of Corinth on one side and Cape Heraion on the other.
The most important buildings of Loutropolis
Remarkable buildings of the spa town are:
At 60 G. Lekka Street is the listed building-house built in 1928. It is a two-storey building of the 1930s and has the features of its time (simple volume and form, solid railing, interesting entrance door). It occupies a place in the urban fabric of the area and is an interesting ensemble with other buildings on the street.
Also, at 19 G. Lekka Street is the listed building of the hotel "PALLAS" which was built in 1923. It is a five-storey hotel of 1923. It was repaired in 1928 after an earthquake. The vertical axis of symmetry dominates. Two opposite marble stairs in the shape of an oval, pass under arched openings. The last two floors are morphologically integrated. Their central part protrudes from the building. line and ends in a raised end. The decorations are linear. The load-bearing structure consists of stone structure, slabs, reinforced concrete.
Loutraki is one of the few cities that still has a summer cinema,
one of the most beautifully located since it is located by the sea
and separates from it with a few clusters of oleanders and high
eucalyptus. This is the "Electra" cinema that has been operating for
over 60 years.
In recent years, an impressive boulevard has been built in the city and a ring road that allows motorists to avoid the city center. A large modern municipal hydrotherapy center in the city center has been operating since 2008. In the field of education, there are three Primary schools, one High School and one General Lyceum.