Ypati is a town of the enlarged Municipality of Lamia in the
Prefecture of Fthiotida, while it was the seat of the former
homonymous municipality from 1999 to the end of 2010. According to
the 2011 Census it had a population of 496 inhabitants. It is
located 22 kilometers west of Lamia, on the northern slopes of Mount
In the Middle Ages it was referred to as New Patras. From 1268 it was the capital of the autonomous hegemony of Thessaly and, between the years 1318 and 1390, it was the seat of the crusading Duchy of New Patras.
It was later referred to as Patratziki, a name that is also recorded in the minutes of the Revolution of 1821, such as in the Minutes of the Assembly of Salons, as the place of origin of George Ainian.
Ypati hosts, among others, the Byzantine Museum of Fthiotida and the Kakogianni Observatory of Ypati. Of interest is the church of Hagia Sophia, which has been built on the site of an older church dating back to the early Christian period. In the present church, which was adjacent to a 5th century Baptistery on its south side, fragments of the first complex can be seen. The church of Agios Nikolaos is also interesting, also built on the site of an early Christian basilica of the 4th to 6th century. Important is the Castle of Ypati, built on a hill above the settlement, in which restoration and fixing works are being carried out. The Castle was rebuilt or strengthened in various phases by Greeks, as well as Frankish and Catalan conquerors.
In May 1821, the chiefs of the Municipality of
Skaltsas (or Skaltsodimos), Giannis Gouras and Andritsos Safakas
took the position of Aetos in order to strike the Turks in Ypati,
but were surrounded by their men of 1500 Turkalvans and forced to
retreat. On April 2, 1822, Skaltsodimos together with Safakas,
Diovouniotis and Mitsos Kontogiannis defeated Dramalis in a battle
that took place in the wider area of Ypati.
The city suffered during the occupation of the Axis: 16 inhabitants were killed in retaliation for the sabotage of Gorgopotamos in 1942, while on Saturday, June 17, 1944, the Germans surrounded it and then 28 people were executed and 375 of 400 buildings burned. A relevant monument has been erected at the entrance of the village from the side of Lamia, while it has been declared a Martyr City.