Huis Bergh Castle

Huis Bergh



Location: 's-Heerenberg, Province of Gelderland  Map

Constructed: 13th century by Lord Van den Bergh

Open: May- Dec: 12:30pm- 4:30pm Tue- Sun

Info: Hof Van Bergh 8

Tel. 0314- 661281


History of Huis Bergh Castle

Huis Bergh is a medieval castle situated in a town of 's-Heerenberg in the Province of Gelderland in Netherlands. It was constructed in 1240 by Lord Van den Bergh. In the 16th century Huis Bergh underwent major restoration under orders of Count Willem IV ven den Bergh. But during the Dutch Revolt he sided with the his brother- in- law, Prince William of Orange. This alliance forced him to leave his native land for Germany and loose his possessions including his residence. Huis Bergh castle was badly damaged during sieges during the Dutch Revolt in 1568–1648. In 1735 it was completely burned down and left abandoned. Briefly it served as a seminary, but bad condition of the structure forced its transference to another building. Only in 1912 it was bought by businessman Jan Herman van Heek who began reconstruction of the citadel and archaeological digs that revealed older structures of the fortress. Today Kasteel Huis Bergh is open to the public. It features collection of Dutch paintings as well as a collection of medieval handwritings.


The construction history of the castle dates back to the year 1250 . Parts of the house date from the 14th, 15th and 17th centuries. In the early stages of the Eighty Years' War Huis Bergh suffered a lot from war violence. In 1735 it burned out completely. During the Dutch Mission between the years 1799 and 1842 a seminary was established in Huis Bergh. In 1912, the castle and all associated possessions became the property of Jan Herman van Heek , an industrialist from Enschede . In 1939Much of the house was destroyed by fire a second time. Much of the inventory was saved with the help of the local population. In the same year, the reconstruction began, which could already be completed in the autumn of 1941.

Art collection
There is a lot of early Italian painting on display in Huis Bergh. A very special work is a panel (the archangel Gabriel) from the world famous Maestà by Duccio . The painting was added to the castle's collection in the 19th century. The collection also includes several works from the school of Hieronymus Bosch , including a Wedding of Cana . Huis Bergh also houses an exceptional collection of medieval manuscripts . The foundation of the collection was laid by the purchase by said Jan Herman van Heek of the Collection FW Mengelberg in 1919.

Other information
There are regular concerts in the castle garden and in the reception hall.
The Boetselaersborg , a castle near Huis Bergh, is one of the castle's possessions.
Just west of Huis Bergh is the park forest De Plantage .
In 2016 the garden (sometimes referred to as the 'oldest garden in the Netherlands') was restored to the state of 1727.
Overnight stays have been possible at the castle since 2018, in the round tower and in the flat tower you can experience what it is like to sleep in a castle.