Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

Slot Zuylen

Slot Zuylen

 

 

Location: Tournooiveld 1, Oud- Zuilen, Vechtstreek   Map

Constructed: current castle is constructed in 1525

Tel. 030 244 0255

Open:

15 Mar- 15 May & 15 Sept- 15 Nov: Sat & Sun (groups by appoint)

15 May- 15 Sept: Tue- Thu, Sat & Sun

Closed: 15 Nov- 15 Mar

 

 

 

Description of Slot Zuylen

Slot Zuylen or Zuylen Castle is a historic residence situated in a village of Oud- Zuilen, just north of Utrecht in the province of Vechtstreek in Netherlands. Zuylen Castle was constructed in 1520 on a site of medieval 13th century donjon constructed by Lord van Suilen en Anholt. Original manor of Slot Zuylen was completely surrounded by a moat. A single draw bridge was the only way to get inside. The last remodeling in Zuylen Castle occurred in 1752. It gave Zuylen its present appearance. Additionally an English landscape garden was added. Today the residence is open to public. One of the most famous features in the castle is a beautiful tapestry, work of Delft carpet weaver Maximiliaan van der Gught. It is part of the collection of Van Tuyll van Serooskerken family that includes other tapestries, paintings, porcelain, furnishings, glassware and etc.

 

 

 

 

 

In the 13th century, a keep was built by the Lord of Suilen and Anholt. Not much is known about this tower.

In the 14th century, the keep was expanded with a hall house. The family of Zuylen divided into various branches: the family Van Zuylen remained ruler of the castle until the 14th century. Frank van Borssele inherited the castle in 1422 because he was married. The castle was razed to the ground in the same year during the Hoekse and Kabeljauwse controversies through the Utrechtse Hoeken.

The rebuilding of Slot Zuylen by the nobleman Willem van Rennenberg did not begin until 1510. Shortly after the commissioning, it was recognized as a city of knights. His descendants including George van Lalaing, and the Egmond family owned it until it was sold to the Amsterdam merchant Jasper Quinget in 1611. His fellow townman Adam van Lockhorst became the next owner six years later. Admiral Steven van der Hagen was a resident of the castle around 1620. [1] Eventually the castle came into the possession of the Van Tuyll van Serooskerken family.

The snake wall of 120 meters was built in 1742. The castle was last radically renovated in 1751-1752. The castle was given a U-shape: the weather wall was demolished and the associated canal muted, making the courtyard a forecourt. A left wing was added to achieve a symmetrical whole. An extra exterior wall was built so that a new porch was created at the new entrance door with new stairs, so that the rooms could be accessed separately. Since then, no major changes have been made to the main building.
From 1803-1808 Slot Zuylen was leased for economic reasons by Willem René van Tuyll van Serooskerken.
In the early 1950s, Frederik Christiaan Constantijn van Tuyll of Serooskerken brought the castle and gardens to a foundation. Several restorations then took place at Slot Zuylen. Today it has the function of a museum, among other things.

One of the most famous residents of the castle was writer Belle van Zuylen (1740-1805).

 

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus