Baarle is a village that extends over two municipalities: the
Belgian Baarle-Hertog and the Dutch Baarle-Nassau. The Belgian part
consists of 22 exclaves (the boundaries were definitively
established in 1995 and a former neutral grassland became the 22nd
exclave). The exclaves in turn enclose seven pieces of Dutch
territory; Belgium itself enclaves an eighth piece close to
Ginhoven. There are three quadripoints.
Because the national borders have divided some parcels, some buildings are right on it. This is the case, for example, for a Zeeman branch. The "front door rule" applies to these buildings: their address is in the country in which their front door is located. An exception to this is a house in the street Loveren with a Belgian (# 2) and Dutch (# 19) front door. For convenience, all house numbers were given a flag (see photos).
The name Baarle (in old sources Barle or Barlo) is explained in different ways. The last part certainly comes from loo, which means forest on sandy ground, close to a settlement. The first part comes from
bar: a bare, flat or undeveloped land.
barza: Primordial German word for coniferous wood.
Baro or Bera, an old personal name.
The suffixes Hertog and Nassau refer to the duke of Brabant, respectively the Huis Nassau, which owned the barony of Breda.
The name of the hamlet of Tommel comes from the Latin word tumulus, which means burial mound. Several prehistoric burial mounds are known at Tommel. Urns have also been found that indicate that the area around Tommel was already inhabited in the Bronze Age.
The Sint-Remigius Church, from 1640, in late Campine Gothic.
Villa at Pastoor de Katerstraat 3, from 1900, in neo-renaissance style.
Smugglers' monument, on the Prins Hendrik I square, from 1992. It was made by Constant Grooten on the occasion of the 1000th anniversary of Baarle. In 1996 it was inaugurated by Sjaak Mulders and Mon van Casteren, both retired smugglers, but very active during the period when butter smuggling was still lucrative. They still drove armored cars and scattered crow's feet.
The Franciscan Monastery, in a mansion at Kerkstraat 7, founded in 1879 by the Franciscan Sisters of Sint-Jozefsdal in Herentals, renovated in 1930.
The Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Bijstand church from 1879, enlarged in 1932 and 1958.
The former Baarle-Nassau station, from 1869.
Some service houses in Baarle-Nassau Grens, from 1905
The hard stone village pump, from 1809, on the Singel. Here are also four grazing posts.
A former tannery, at Chaamseweg 9A. It is a traditional tannery from the last quarter of the 19th century.
House at Singel 13, from 1639, a Kempen storey house.
Farmhouse at Boschoven 8, from 1636, with details on the facades that are swung in and out.
The Sint-Salvator Chapel in the hamlet of Nijhoven
Baarle's Museum at Kerkplein 3 in Baarle-Hertog, shows carved candles.
Museum Vergane Glorie, at Turnhoutseweg 10A in Baarle-Hertog, shows old crafts