Beesel is a place in the Limburg municipality of Beesel. The place had 2,485 inhabitants on January 1, 2020.
Beesel is first mentioned in 1275 and formed one alderman's bank together with Belfeld for centuries. It developed as a wreath field village. At the ends are the hamlets Bussereind, Ouddorp and Rijkel. The first church was built around 1400 in Ouddorp (more than two hundred meters northwest of the current church). For a long time Beesel and Belfeld belonged to the Overkwartier or Spanish Upper Gelre and were part of the Ambt Montfort. In 1713 Beesel joined the United Provinces together with several other municipalities as Staats-Opper-Gelre.
Belt mill De Grauwe Beer
Hoeve Oud Waterloo (1715, expanded in 1780) at Waterloseweg 6
Castle Waterloo (1922-1923) on Waterloseweg, designed by Caspar Franssen on behalf of the marquise Van Villers Grignoncourt from Nispen to Sevenaer.
Saint Gertrude's Church
Dragon statue, on the roundabout on the Rijksweg, the Bussereindseweg and the connection with the A73, made by Rik van Rijswick. This 3-tonne statue, which can breathe fire, was loaned to the municipality in 2009, eventually purchased and inaugurated in 2016.
Grietjens Gericht, where the gallows used to be. Now there are three restored burial mounds and a reconstruction of the wheel.
The Historisch Groentenhof in Rijkel, where rare and special vegetables are grown.
Nature and landscape
Beesel is located near the lower terrace of the Maas, at a height of more than 20 meters. In the neighborhood of Rijkel there is a gravel pond in a Meuse bend. There is also the nature reserve Donderberg, a wooded river dune area. The Beesels Broek, southeast of Beesel, is an area with seepage. The Huilbeek, which has its source there, flows into the Maas to the north of Beesel.
In the south of Beesel, the Swalm forms the border with Swalmen.
Beesel is best known for the Dragon Sign, an open-air spectacle about the legend of Saint George and the Dragon. Once every seven years, the whole of Beesel is dominated by this ancient battle between good and evil. In 2012, the Dragon sign was officially added as a tradition to the National Inventory of the Intangible Cultural Heritage in the Netherlands. A special recognition for this open-air spectacle, which is also the first Limburg tradition to be included on the heritage list.
The dialect group The Holy Goats, founded in 2000, has its origins in Beesel.
Beesel is also home to Harmonie St. Gertrudis Beesel.