Bunnik

 

 

Bunnik is a town in the Dutch province of Utrecht and part of the municipality of Bunnik with the same name. The core has approximately 7,020 inhabitants.

Bunnik is located near a railway junction and fast connections to the historic city of Utrecht. The Kromme Rijn flows through the place. The village of Bunnik is located on the N229, has an exit on the A12 and a train station, Bunnik station.

Bunnik has various sports associations, including a football association, VV Bunnik '73, and a hockey club, HC Kromme Rijn and a korfball association KV Midlandia. The clubs play at Tolhuislaan sports park.

There is a crater on Mars named after the village.

 

History

The history of the Bunnik municipality goes back about 2000 years. Shortly after the beginning of our era, the Romans built an important castellum near Fectio (Vechten) with a harbor on the then course of the Rhine, their border river. At the time, the Lek was less important. Most of the water flowed north from Wijk bij Duurstede, through Bunnik via Utrecht to Katwijk aan den Rijn (see Kromme Rijn, Leidse Rijn, Oude Rijn).

A trading place developed at the castellum. This continued to exist, even when the castellum was finally abandoned by the Romans in the fourth century. The area was then successively occupied by the Frisians and the Franks. In 723, the Frankish mayor Karel Martel donated, among other things, the remains of Fectio to the Utrecht church. Under ecclesiastical leadership, the area was completely reclaimed between the 8th and 14th centuries. Important for the exploitation was the dam that was laid in Wijk bij Duurstede in the Rhine in or shortly after 1122, so that the Lek became the through route. Since then, the water level in the Kromme Rijn can be regulated, but there is hardly any shipping left. In the 8th and 9th centuries the three church villages of Bunninchem (Bunnik), Iodichem (Odijk) and Wercundia (Werkhoven) developed. Small village churches were built in the 12th and 13th centuries.

At the end of the Middle Ages, a number of courts (administrative organizations) developed from the ecclesiastical division, which were replaced by municipalities in the French period. From 1817 to 1856 there were four municipalities on the territory of the current municipality of Bunnik, each of which provided a quarter of an hour of the municipal coat of arms: the red rooster of Bunnik; St. Nicolaas from Odijk; the White Horse of Werkhoven; and the Fleur de lis (from the Van Renesse coat of arms) from Rhijnauwen. The current municipality of Bunnik has existed since 1964.

In August 1974, the city council decided to establish a municipal flag. Three wavy bands of green, white and green represent the Kromme Rijn, flowing through the green fields.

Description of the municipal logo and flag
The municipal logo, which has been used since the new town hall was opened in 1996, shows a symbolic representation of the municipality of Bunnik. The three green rings refer to the three villages Bunnik, Odijk and Werkhoven, which make up the municipality. The two blue, wavy lines refer to the Kromme Rijn as the connecting element between these three villages. The traditional coat of arms of Bunnik, in stylized form, has also been incorporated into the house style of the municipality. The flag consists of three wavy bands: green, white, green. These lanes symbolize the Kromme Rijn that flows through the green fields of the municipality of Bunnik.