Haaksbergen (Low Saxon: Hoksebarge) is a municipality and village in Twente, in the Dutch province of Overijssel. The municipality has 24,275 inhabitants (August 1, 2020 source: Statistics Netherlands). Haaksbergen is close to Hengelo (11 km) and Enschede (12 km). The total area is 105.55 km² (of which water: 0.27 km²). The municipality of Haaksbergen, which calls itself Ster in Twente, works together with other municipalities in the Twente region.



The municipality of Haaksbergen is located in the south of Twente. Besides the main town, it consists of the villages of Buurse and St. Isidorushoeve and a number of hamlets. The municipality borders in the north on the Overijssel municipalities of Hof van Twente, Hengelo and Enschede. In addition, the boundary of Haaksbergen in the southwest simultaneously forms the provincial boundary with Gelderland and the municipality of Berkelland. The German municipalities of Vreden and Ahaus are located in the south and southeast.

South of the village of Haaksbergen is the Lankheet estate, where the water of the Buurserbeek is purified using reed filters.

The earliest traces of habitation within the current municipal boundaries of Haaksbergen have been found along the Buurserbeek. They probably date from around 800 BC. The village of Haaksbergen was created much later, around 800 AD, as an agricultural settlement further downstream on the Buurserbeek. Remains have been found of a wooden church from around the year 1000, predecessor of the current St. Pancratius Church. The first mention of Haaksbergen dates from 1188. In a 12th-century property register, Count Hendrik van Dale, who also owned Diepenheim and Ahaus, listed property in the parish of Hockesberghe. At the beginning of the 14th century, the Marches were created, which continued to exist until the mid-19th century. The marches Brammelo, Langelo, Eppenzolder / Stepelo, Holthuizen, Boekelo and Haaksbergen / Honesch belonged to Haaksbergen.

Around 1400 the Buurserbeek, which until then flowed through the village, was relocated and connected to the Schipbeek south of Haaksbergen. This created a water connection with the IJssel and the Hanseatic cities of Deventer, Zwolle and Zutphen could be reached by water. In the 18th century, a flour mill was built, called De Korenbloem.

The textile industry was of great importance from the middle of the 19th century. The factory of D. Jordaan & Zonen provided a lot of employment. At its peak, 80% of Haaksbergen's workforce was employed in the textile sector. The textile industry collapsed in the early 1970s, and the factory in Haaksbergen also closed.