Klundert is a Dutch fortified city in the municipality of Moerdijk, in the province of North Brabant. Klundert is located between Zevenbergen, Moerdijk and Fijnaart.
The name Klundert is said to be traced back to kluun, clod, which means black peat.
the village Die Overdraghe was created, situated on favorable
waterways. It was situated on a small river of the same name,
between the Mark and the 'Buttervliet', which would later develop
into the Hollandsch Diep. When the river silted up, a new waterway
was dug: De Niewervaert. The village was subsequently named
In 1357 Klundert, which until 1813 belonged to the region of Holland, received city rights from the lord and lady of Strijen. In 1362 it became its own Lordship, which fell to Jan I van Polanen. He was also lord of Breda and through him passed on the manor to the Nassau's, later princes of Orange. Until 1881, much of the land remained within the municipality of one or more members of this noble, royal house from 1815 onwards. In that year the lands became state property.
Early in its history, Klundert was plagued by disasters. In 1420 the city burned down. The following year, the entire area was flooded during the St. Elisabeth flood. But soon the reclamation of land on the water began. In 1558 a dike was built along the Hollands Diep and the Groote Polder was created at the place where Niervaart had once been. The village of De Clundert was founded at that location. It was planned with a regular street pattern. Although Klundert was later adopted as the place name, the town is still locally called De Klundert.
The Klundert foundation was originally a project to generate profit through rent and taxes. In 1568, at the start of the Eighty Years' War, the strategic position on the border of Holland and Brabant came to the fore. In 1572 the Reformation entered Klundert and a preacher arrived.
In 1583 the city was given a wall, the Fortifications van Klundert, built by order of William of Orange. From then on, Klundert, together with nearby Willemstad, was part of the Defense Line of the Hollandsch Diep and the Volkerak. However, Klundert was never besieged by the Spaniards: it was well protected, including by a war ship that was located in the Roode Vaart. Prince Maurice also had a soft spot for the city: he donated it to his town hall. All this had to do with the fact that the princes had personal belongings here. The steward was seated in the Prinsenhof.
In 1793, the advancing French troops encountered the first resistance here, which would eventually force them to withdraw. The Netherlands subsequently remained independent for about two years.
Towards the end of World War II, Klundert was set on fire in 1944 by
retreating German troops. After the site had just been somewhat
restored, 90% of its territory was flooded in the 1953 Flood. In the
years that followed, recovery again and major expansions took place.
The ramparts were thoroughly restored from 1931 to 1979. The ramparts have become an attraction.
The location on good waterways encouraged activity. Originally it was possible to sail from the north of the Hollandsch Diep to Klundert. When the harbor in Klundert silted up, a harbor was built in Noordschans. In the past it was also possible to sail to the Dintel via Roode Vaart and Mooi Keene via Klundert. In 1840 there was economic activity in the place in the form of a sawmill, an oil mill, a soap factory and a beer brewery.
From around 1970, the Moerdijk Port and Industrial Area was largely built on Klundert's territory. From 1997 Klundert has been part of the municipality of Moerdijk.