Nederweert

 

Nederweert is a village in and the capital of the Dutch municipality of Nederweert of the same name. Nederweert was originally called Merefelt, which would mean 'in the middle of lakes'. Later it became 'Weert van den nedersten eynde'. From there 'Nederweert' arose, in relation to (Over) weert (or Weert).

 

History

Nederweert was originally one whole with the alderman's bank of Weert.

After the Peace of M√ľnster in 1648 Nederweert remained with the Spanish Empire. In 1703, during the War of the Spanish Succession, the manor was taken over by the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands. Nederweert was awarded to the Austrian Netherlands at the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. After the French Revolution, the Austrian Netherlands were conquered by the First French Republic in 1794. One year later, the Nederweert estate was abolished as an administrative unit and replaced by the municipality of Nederweert. This municipality was assigned to the new French department of Nedermaas. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the municipality of Nederweert had 3,688 inhabitants. After the fall of the French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, in 1815 the municipality was assigned to Limburg, a province in the United Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Nederweert sided with Belgium during the Belgian Revolution in 1830. Yet in 1839, after the recognition of Belgium by the Dutch King William I, the municipality was assigned to the Netherlands. This happened under a lot of protest from the inhabitants. In the 19th century, the water board Het Land van Weert was established to curb the flooding in the area.

The village was damaged during the Second World War. Nederweert was liberated on 21 September 1944, but until 14 November the front line lay along the Zuid-Willemsvaart and the Wessem-Nederweert Canal.

In the second half of the twentieth century, the population increased rapidly, partly due to the construction of new residential areas near Nederweert and the Budschop district.

In 2013 Nederweert was declared the greenest village in the south of the Netherlands.

 

Sights

Saint Lambert's Church, with a striking tower.
Neo-Gothic cemetery chapel from 1892, by Johannes Kayser.
Old rectory, at Schoolstraat 5, from 1883, by Johannes Kayser.
Sacred Heart statue, from 1920.
Former town hall, at 65 Kerkstraat, from 1921, by Louis Kooken.

The center of Nederweert is attractive, there are some old houses:
Kerkstraat 56, from 1659.
Kerkstraat 64, probably from 1672, with a tilted facade from 1700, renovated in 1905.
Kerkstraat 41, with Art Nouveau features.
See also the hamlets of Roeven, Schoor, Strateris, Bouet for some other details.

Nature and landscape
Nederweert is located at a crossing of canals. The Zuid-Willemsvaart comes from the north and makes a bend in a south-westerly direction on the spot. On the other hand, the Noordervaart runs to Beringe. The Wessem-Nederweert Canal runs in a southeasterly direction. A number of locks, bridges and casemates can be found near these canals.

Nederweert itself is located at a (maximum) height of approximately 33 meters above NAP. The village is separated from the eastern core of Budschop and also from the southern hamlets of Roeven and Schoor by the Zuid-Willemsvaart. To the northwest lies an agricultural area with the hamlets Boeket and Strateris, followed by a larger-scale agricultural area, and further in this direction lies the Weerterbos, a large nature reserve with moist to dry mixed forest.