Schiedam is a city and municipality in the Dutch province of
South Holland. The municipal council participates in the joint
scheme Metropolitan Region Rotterdam-The Hague.
Schiedam is located between Rotterdam and Vlaardingen, originally on the Schie and later also on the Nieuwe Maas. As of August 1, 2020, the municipality had 79,003 inhabitants (source: CBS). The city is known worldwide for its gin production, the historic city center with historic harbors (in other Dutch cities these would be called 'canals') and the highest windmills in the world.
The history of the city of Schiedam dates back to the 13th
century. Near the mouth of the Schie, a dam was probably built
around 1230 by Mr van Wassenaar and / or Mr Dirk Bokel of Mathenesse
craftsmanship to protect the polder land against seawater. In 1247,
Aleid van Holland received the eastern part of the dam (and the
small polder) as a bridal gift when she married Jan van Avesnes. In
1275 city rights were granted by Lady Aleid of Holland (Aleida van
Avesnes), the sister of Count William II of Holland.
The eighteenth century was Schiedam's Golden Age: the stalled drink import from France made the emergence of the Schiedam gin distillery possible. Schiedam gin was exported all over the world from dozens of distilleries and distilleries. The gin industry gave Schiedam the nickname 'Black Nazareth'. The industry has largely disappeared, but six mills still determine the cityscape: Molen De Walvisch, Molen De Drie Koornbloemen, Molen De Vrijheid, Molen De Noord, Molen De Palmboom, the Noletmolen built in 2008 and the Molen De Kameel rebuilt in 2011, the tallest windmills in the world. A large number of former distilleries also recalls the time of the burner. The Jenever Museum has been located in one of these distilleries, located on the historic Lange Haven, since 1996.
In 1941 the municipality of Kethel and Spaland was annexed, leaving room for large-scale housing to the north of Schiedam. The districts of Tuindorp, Sveaparken, Kethel, Groenoord, Woudhoek and Spaland are now located here.
Old town hall (Schiedam)
Schiedam's Old Town Hall is located on the Grote Markt. The building, built in 1538, was rebuilt in 1606 after a fire (1604), and provided with the current gables in 1637. The double staircase dates from 1717-1718. In 1782 it was modernized by the then city architect Rutger van Bol'es. The last meeting of the city council was held here in January 1973. Nowadays there is a restaurant in one part of the town hall, the other part is used for weddings, meetings and representative purposes.
Prof. Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven opened the restored Town Hall on October 22, 2004, a restoration that took a year and a half and was made possible by a Kanjers subsidy from the National Agency for the Preservation of Monuments. During the restoration of the old town hall, both the interior and the exterior were discussed. The paintwork, the ceilings and the furnishing of various rooms have been overhauled. The exterior facade has also been restored and the turret restored.
Grote or St. Janskerk
Seven scaffolding mills: the "six classic mills" (Mill De Walvisch, Mill De Drie Koornbloemen, Mill De Vrijheid, Mill De Noord, Mill De Palmboom, Mill De Kameel) and the new "energy mill" De Nolet (2006); the mills shown in the picture are the tallest classic mills in the world
The ruin of Huis te Riviere
St. Liduina Basilica with Sacred Heart statue
The canals of Schiedam (called "harbors": Lange Haven, Korte Haven and Nieuwe Haven)
Babbersmolen (stone house mill 1710-1888) Stelling mill (1888-1924) Stelling mill (2014 - Present)
Bag carrier house
Former Sint-Jacobs hospital, now the Stedelijk Museum Schiedam
Office building for the then HAV Bank by architect Dudok from 1935, converted into apartments in 1997
Saint John the Baptist Church (Harbor Church)