Sittard

 

Sittard (Limburgish: Zitterd) is a city in Dutch Limburg, in the transition area between Central Limburg and the South Limburg hills. It is one of the oldest places in the Netherlands and the second oldest city (a place that once had city rights) in Limburg, after Maastricht.

Since 2001, Sittard, together with the southwestern adjoining municipality of Geleen and the municipality of Born, has formed the municipality of Sittard-Geleen. As a result of this merger, the municipality of Sittard-Geleen has become the third largest in the province in terms of population (approximately 91,928).

 

Etymology

The name Sittard is derived from Siter, from the Old High German sîte, height or mountain slope and the place was therefore situated on a slope, the Kollenberg. This area was conveniently located between the Geleenbeek and the Roode Beek.

 

History

The original hinterland of Sittard forms the historic Land van Zwentibold around the Graetheide. The history of this area dates back to the seventh century. However, the city and the region have not shared this history with the present-day South Limburg. Sittard, Born and Susteren were only part of the Duchy of Limburg for a relatively short time. These three places have a Gulik history from 1400 onwards.

The original settlement that later became the city of Sittard is believed to have originated in the Carolingian period, between 700 and 1000, although there are also clear traces of settlement in the Merovingian period. She is first mentioned as Sitter in 1157. Three settlements arose at the place in question at the time: Haagsittert, Broeksittard and the current city of Sittard.

Sittard grew strongly from the 11th century and received city rights in 1243. In the centuries that followed, the city regularly suffered war damage. In 1677, at the time of the Dutch War, it was almost completely destroyed in a city fire started by French troops.

Over the centuries, Sittard was in turn a member of the Duchy of Jülich, the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands, Belgium (in the period 1830-39) and the German Confederation. Only in 1867 the city was definitively added to the Netherlands.

In the 60s and 70s of the 20th century, the center of Sittard was thoroughly renovated, with many old buildings being replaced by modern ones. A completely new shopping center has also been built.


Sights
Part of Sittard is classified as a protected townscape. The old street plan in the center of Sittard is still clearly present. The walls are also largely visible and a walking path leads over part of this route.

Churches and chapels
The Basilica of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, from 1877, in Sittard-Center
The St. Peter's Chair of Antiochiëkerk, from the 14th century, in Sittard-Center
The Sint-Michielskerk, monastery church from 1660, in Sittard-Center.
The former Reformed church, from 1680, in Sittard-Center
The Gemma Church in the Sanderbout district, from 1952.
The Anthony of Padua Church in the Ophoven district, from 1918.
The Christ's Ascension Church in the Vrangendael district, from 1965.
The Saint Joseph's Church in the Stadbroek district, from 1954, demolished in 2001
The Church of Our Lady of the Nativity in the Broeksittard district, from 1934
The Bernadette Church in the Baandert district, from 1966
The Saint Paul's Church in the Limbrichterveld district, from 1986
The Christ the King Church in the Leyenbroek district, from 1928
The Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in the Overhoven district, from 1929-1931
The Saint Rosa's chapel from 1675, on the Kollenberg
The Jesuit Chapel, neo-Gothic former cemetery chapel near Ursulinenhof, with fresco by Jo Havenith from 2017 and a memorial stone with the names of Jesuits once buried here.
The Chapel Queen of Heaven, brick chapel at De Wieer, counter oven number 4.
The Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows, brick and stone chapel, on the Kollenberg
The Mariapark, neo-Gothic building from 1891, on the Oude Markt in Sittard-Center
The Johanneskerk, Protestant church from 1966
The New Apostolic Church, from 1936
The Church of the Apostolic Society, 1955

Monasteries
Watersley House, 1752 and 1897, monastery complex southeast of the center, mainly Franciscans, from 1967 care home, near the Kollenberg
Dominican monastery, 1657, monastery and school, connected to St. Michael's Church, in Sittard-Center.
Monastery Sint Agnetenberg, at Plakstraat 24 in Sittard-Center, originally a Dominican monastery.
Monastery of the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of the Apostles at Weidom 2, in Broeksittard
Convent of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart at Leyenbroekerweg 111-113 in the Leyenbroek district
Gemma Monastery, at 52 Leyenbroekerweg, in the Leyenbroek district
Convent of the Sisters of Divine Providence, at 23 Walramstraat, in the Sittard-Centrum district
Monastery of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, at Oude Markt 18-20 in Sittard-Center, from 1890
Monastery of the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus, from 1925, at the intersection of Kollenberg and Leyenbroekerweg, with stained-glass windows by Jos Hermans.
Ursuline Monastery, from 1642 and 1860, at Oude Markt 5 in Sittard-Center
Monastery Mariahof, from 1936-1937, at Geldersestraat 26 in the Overhoven district
Monastery of the Fathers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Bétharram, from 1926, at Geldersestraat 39 in the Overhoven district

Defenses
Fortifications of Sittard with Fort Sanderbout.

 

Residential houses
The Kapittelhuis, a former canon house from the 17th or 18th century.
Gruizenstraat 7-9 is a half-timbered house with a cut-out top floor, dated 1593.
Markt 20, a corner house from about 1600, with a half-timbered side gable overhang, restored in 1971-1972.
Limbrichterstraat 16, two adjoining houses with a half-timbered upper floor from the 17th century and a modern facade.
Ophoven 3, with cantilevered half-timbered floor and brick basement.
Kloosterplein 4, originally a 17th century chapter shed in the tenth century, with three grain lofts. Part of it was restored after a fire in 1880.
Kritzraedthuis at Rosmolenstraat 2, from 1620.
Helstraat 3, from 1630. Brick house with gabled facade.
Helstraat 39-41, from 1627
In addition, numerous other monumental houses, partly of a later date, partly with elements of an older date only at the core.

Farms
Dorpstraat 35 in Broeksittard, farm from 1781,
Dorpstraat 42 in Broeksittard, originally 17th century closed farm, half-timbered in the courtyard.
Kruisstraat 28 in Broeksittard, closed farm, possibly 1747, half-timbered in the courtyard.
Hoeve Lahrhof, at Lahrstraat 93, from 1760, at the foot of the Kollenberg
Hoeve Bergerhof, closed farmhouse with gatehouse, in Stadspark Sittard.
Ophoven 3, in Ophoven.
Ophovenerhof, at Molenweg 53 in the Ophoven district. Brick enclosed farm, from 1763.
Molenweg 22 in the Ophoven district. Brick farmhouse with half-timbering, core 17th century, facade with entrance gate from 1802.
Watersleyhof, at Watersley 2. Closed brick farmhouse, listed in the 16th century, current buildings 18th and 19th century, barn of 1856.

Museums
Museum De Domijnen, until 2015 "Het Domein": urban archeology and history, at Kapittelstraat 6.
Museum De Domijnen: contemporary art, at Ligne 2.
Toon Hermans museum, opening unknown.

Mills
Ophovenermolen, watermill on the Geleenbeek. This is located on the edge of the Stadspark Sittard, at Molenweg 56.
Stadbroekermolen, watermill on the Molenbeek, at Jacqueline Roufsweg 1.
Hochstenbach mill, at Paardestraat 40.