Zundert

 

Zundert is a place in the Dutch municipality of Zundert, in the province of Noord-Brabant. As of January 1, 2020, the place has 8,210 inhabitants (CBS). Zundert is located south of Etten-Leur and Breda along the Bredaseweg, south of Rijsbergen.

 

Etymology

The name 'Zundert' is first encountered in a deed of 1157, in which the bishop of Liège confirms the donation of tithes of Sunderda to the Abbey of Tongerlo. Declarations of names as originating from the Germanic goddess Sandraudiga, or isolated, are nowadays rejected. The meaning is sought today in: south earth, land in the south. The current village of Zundert originated from the reddish Groot-Zundert, which existed next to Klein-Zundert.

 

History

The area around Zundert has been inhabited for a long time. Archaeological finds show settlement in the 2nd century BC. Finds from Roman times have also been found. Presumably there was hardly any occupation for a longer period of time afterwards. In 1157 the name appears for the first time in written sources. There would then be a chapel at Raamberg.

In later times there were three manors: Zundert-Hertog, Zundert-Nassau (belonging to the Baronie of Breda since 1388 and thus in the possession of Huis Nassau since 1404) and Wernhout. Only Wernhout had the high glorious rights. Zundert-Hertog only comprised the core of today's Zundert. There was an alderman's bank in Zundert until 1810.

The parish of Zundert is younger than that of Klein-Zundert and that of Rijsbergen. It must have originated between 1233 and 1278. The parish church was dedicated to Saint Trudo and dates from the 16th century. It was demolished in 1928 when the new church was dedicated. The tower was owned by the municipality and was initially preserved. However, this was also demolished in 1940.

In 1842 the Franciscan Sisters came to Zundert. There they founded the Sint-Anna Monastery with boarding school at 13 Molenstraat. In full, it concerned the Franciscan Sisters Penitents Recollectins of the Immaculate Conception of Mary. The sisters founded a number of schools for the education of girls and a kindergarten. Although the sisters left in 1999, the monastery is still present and is listed as a national monument. The house, which dates from the year of foundation at the front, has features of neoclassicism and neo-Renaissance style. It was expanded to include a chapel (1900) in chalet style. After 1950, a number of schools were also built. In 2011, after 12 years of vacancy, the monastery was renovated into a multifunctional complex with shops and restaurants, and apartments. The chapel remains reserved for cultural events.

The Protestants, who lost their church in the French era, were given a Napoleon's church in its place. This later became the Van Goghkerkje, built in 1805. This church is at the service of the Protestants in the entire municipality of Zundert.

 

Sights

The Van Goghkerkje, at Vincent van Goghplein 1, is the Protestant church from 1805. Theo van Gogh, Vincent van Gogh's father, was a minister here. The church is located at Vincent van Goghplein. In front of the church is a statue of Vincent and Theo van Gogh by the French artist Ossip Zadkine, from 1963.
The Van Gogh House, at Markt 26-27, is an art center and documentation center related to Vincent van Gogh.
The Roman Catholic church at Molenstraat 7 is a neo-Romanesque church to a design by Jan Stuyt from 1927. The accompanying rectory at Molenstraat 9 is a mansion from 1775, partly in Empire style. In 1777, D. Verrijk applied painted wall hangings in an anteroom of this house. Next to the church is a Sacred Heart statue (1949) by Steph Uiterwaal.
The Town Hall, at Markt 1, is a building from 1966. The front part is a copy of a neoclassical building from 1830, designed by Pieter Huijsers. The façade has a pediment resting on pilasters.
The former St. Anne's Monastery at Molenstraat 13, partly from 1843 and with a chapel from 1900.
Maria Toevlucht Abbey, a Trappist abbey from 1899, near the De Moeren estate.
The Akkermolen, a post mill at the Akkermolenweg 13, originally from 1625.
Country houses on the De Moeren and Wallsteijn estates.
Farms include:
The long gable farm at Moersebaan 2, with an 18th century wooden barn
Huis Vredeoord at Moersebaan 8-10 is a long-standing rancher farm from about 1800.

Nature
Zundert is located near the stream valley of the Aa or Weerijs. This river runs southeast of the village. The village is surrounded by agricultural and horticultural areas. A little further from the village are a number of nature reserves and estates, namely:

Nature reserve Wallsteijn with the Oude Buisse Heide, located 4 km west of Zundert.
De Moeren nature reserve, 3 km west of Zundert.
Nature reserve De Reten, 5 km west of Zundert.
Lange Maten nature reserve, 6 km northwest of Zundert.
Private estates: De Moeren, Veldekensberg, and De Biekorf, in total 228 ha, consisting of forest, heathland and cultivated land. Nesting area for Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Eurasian Falcon, Long-eared Owl, Little Owl, Stone-breasted Wheatear and Firecrest. Located approximately 4 km west of Zundert.
Private estate Klein-Zundertse Heide, 3 km north of Zundert. A young heathland cultivation with coniferous forests and cultivated land, pools, road plantings and plantings along plot boundaries. Partridge and yellowhammer breed here.
Nature reserve Gooren and Krochten, 2 km southeast of Zundert.

 

Economy
From an economic point of view, Zundert has traditionally depended on peat extraction. Originally there was an extensive moor area here, as a result of stagnant drainage. After the peat became exhausted at the end of the 17th century, from the 18th century, a start was made with reclamation to meadows and forests. The first tree nursery was established in 1846, initially a job creation project, to which the then mayor Gaspar van Beckhoven also contributed a lot. From 1870 this branch of horticulture became very important and Zundert even became internationally known as a result. Initially, conifers were grown. Today there are 400 growers who use a total of 1,500 hectares. 40% of the working population works in arboriculture. They specialize in crops for tree and hedge plants. However, the 33 ha of dahlia fields are not used for trade, but these provide the dahlias for the flower parade.

Zundert also had a modest industry. This included the brewery "Cambrinus", cigar factory "'t Moortje" ", the brick factory of Kennis at Egeldonk, and the straw tube factory of Pillot & Van Beek. Of the older factories, only the printer of W. Vosselmans, from 1902, remains.

Most shops, which may be open on Sundays, are located in the center of Zundert (Molenstraat). For further purchases, the inhabitants are particularly oriented towards Breda, Etten-Leur and Roosendaal. The late night shopping is on Friday until 9 p.m.

The weekly market is on the Nassauplein in Zundert on Thursday mornings from 11:00 to 16:00.