Asti (Ast in Piedmontese) is an Italian town of 75 528 inhabitants, the capital of the Piedmontese province of the same name and former capital of the ancient Astesana, today more commonly defined as Asti. It is the fourth largest municipality in the region by number of inhabitants and the sixth by area. Roman "Municipium" known as Hasta, it was the seat of the Duchy of Asti, the Longobard Duchy of Neustria. Free commune in the Middle Ages, with the right to "coin money", it was one of the most important commercial centers between the 12th and 13th centuries, when its merchants developed trade and credit throughout Europe.

It is known all over the world for its wines, in particular Asti spumante: every year, in September, one of the most important wine competitions in Italy is held here, called the Douja d'Or. Also famous is his historic Palio, one of the oldest events in Italy, which takes place in September and culminates with a horse race mounted "a pelo" (without saddle).

In recent years, the Festival of the Asti festivals has also assumed considerable importance at national level, a food and wine event held in Asti the week following the Palio di Asti, where over 40 pro loco of the province of Asti offer their gastronomic from Asti DOCG wines, in a large open-air restaurant, now the destination of thousands and thousands of people coming for the occasion from all over Italy.


How to orient yourself

The railway station is located south of the historic centre, a few hundred meters from it. Leaving the station, going straight along the square in front, Piazza Marconi, you arrive in Via Cavour which leads to Piazza San Secondo, a pedestrian area, where the Church of the city's patron saint and the Town Hall stand. Turning right into Via Garibaldi, you arrive in Piazza Alfieri. Exactly opposite, under the arcades of the more modern Palazzo della Provincia, is the tourist office (tel:+390141530357). If, on the other hand, you cross Piazza San Secondo, then take Via Palazzo di Città or Via Gobetti, you reach Corso Alfieri: the most important and well-known street in the city, the Contrada Maestra, formerly the decumanus maximus from the Roman era, which crosses it from east to west. From here, going to the right you reach Piazza Alfieri and continuing along the course you arrive, after about 800 m, which can be covered in about ten minutes, at the Complex of the Baptistery of San Pietro. If, on the other hand, you cross the Corso and take Via Della Valle, after just 50 m you reach Piazza Medici, where the Troyana Tower stands. Turning left along the Corso instead, after about 300 m you arrive in Piazza Roma. A little further on, on the right, is Palazzo Mazzetti, which houses the Pinacoteca. After about fifty metres, on the opposite side of the street, is Palazzo Ottolenghi, seat of the Museum of the Risorgimento, and continuing, after another 150 metres, you arrive at the birthplace of Vittorio Alfieri, located on the corner with Piazza Cairoli, from which Via Caracciolo starts which ends in Piazza della Cattedrale. Continuing along Corso Alfieri we arrive at the Torre Rossa, which marked the ancient western limit of the Roman city.

The city is divided into 6 "Rioni" - the districts within the first circle of the ancient thirteenth-century walls called the "enclosure of the nobles" - and into 8 "Borghi", originally included within the second circle of the fourteenth-century walls called " city walls". These 14 entities, each with its own statute and order, participate in the social and religious life of the city which culminates in the patronal celebrations of San Secondo and in the race of the ancient Palio.

Parking lots
1 Piazza Campo del Palio (Partly usable on Wednesdays and Saturdays for the weekly market. Not usable, at the beginning of May, on the day of the Asti Fair, on the second Sunday of September for the Festival delle Sagre and in case of other events.) . free.
2 Piazza Alfieri (Not usable on Wednesdays and Saturdays for the weekly market, during the Palio period for setting up the track and grandstands and in the case of other events.). for a fee.
3 Former Barracks "Colli di Felizzano", Corso Alfieri (Convenient for visiting the Complex of the Baptistery of San Pietro. In front of the University headquarters.). Paid, and partly free. Entrances from Corso Alfieri, Via Bocca and Via Arò.
4 Babilano, near Piazza Leonardo Da Vinci. free parking / and with a parking disc.
5 Piazza d'Armi, Viale Pilone. free parking.
6 former Way Assauto area, Corso Pietro Chiesa. free parking.
7 Piazza San Giuseppe and surrounding areas. toll parking.
8 Municipal Swimming Pool Parking, Via Gerbi. free parking.
9 Urban Cemetery, Viale Don Bianco. free parking.
10 Lidl supermarket, Corso Venezia 93. free parking.
11 Pam supermarket, Corso Torino 30. free parking.
12 Esselunga supermarket, Corso Ivrea. free parking.
13 Esselunga supermarket, Corso Casale 319. free parking.



Asti has numerous monuments of historical and artistic interest from different eras and various possible itineraries, in the city and in nature. The local cuisine, based on traditional dishes, and the local wines make your stay even more pleasant, which can last just one day, for those with little time, or several days to learn more about what the area has to offer and relax in one of the many farmhouses in the Asti countryside.

1 Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, ☎ +39 0141 592924. Free admission. 8:30-12:00 and 15:00-17:30. The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and San Gottardo is the main place of Catholic worship in Asti, located in Piazza Cattedrale. One of the largest churches in Piedmont, it is the highest expression of Gothic architecture in the region and is one of the most significant examples of Lombard Gothic in all of northern Italy. It is probable that its first construction dates back to the V-VI century. In 1095, following the fire of 1070 which caused the collapse of the building, the new Romanesque-Lombard style cathedral was consecrated by Pope Urban II. Between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries the building was enlarged and completed by enriching it with various works, including the grandiose side portal in flamboyant Gothic style. In the following centuries the building underwent various alterations, linked to the stylistic fashions of the moment, which altered the purity of the Gothic style. Inside are the central altar by Benedetto Alfieri (15th-16th century), various works by Guglielmo Caccia known as Moncalvo (16th-17th century) and by Gandolfino da Roreto, including the Madonna of the "Banker" and the Marriage of the Virgin (16th century).
2 Church of Santa Caterina, Corso Alfieri 424, ☎ +39 0141 592428. Admission free.. The current building of the Church of Santa Caterina, built on the site of the Romanesque church of San Secondo della Torre Rossa, dates back to the 18th century. and is dedicated to the cult of St. Catherine of Alexandria. In Baroque style, with neoclassical elements, it has a terracotta and lime plaster facade, with a triangular tympanum supported by Corinthian columns. Four chapels radiate out from the oval plan. The large painting depicting Saint Catherine, Saint Second and the seven founding saints of the Servite Order in the presence of the Virgin is valuable. In the center rises the dome and the cupola, which reaches a height of 35 meters.
3 Church of San Paolo, Via XX Settembre (near Via Cavour), ☎ +39 0141 53477. admission free. The Church of San Paolo stands in Via XX Settembre, the ancient Contrada Carrera, in the district of the same name. In Baroque style, it was built by the Filippini Fathers at the end of the 1700s near an ancient 13th century church, formerly dedicated to Saint Paul. The facade is in terracotta and has a tympanum supported by four pilasters. The interior, with a single nave, is enriched by a fresco from the end of the 18th century by Carlo Gorzio from Moncalvo depicting the conversion of Saint Paul, by the canvas of the Virgin of the Rosary, probably a work of the Moncalvo school, by the wooden sculptural group of Sant'Anna and Mary as a child attributed to Giovan Battista Bonzanigo, as well as from the 16th century sculptural group of Jesus crucified, with Mary and Saint John, coming from the ancient church.
4 Church of San Martino, Piazza San Martino, ☎ +39 0141 557185. admission free. The parish church dedicated to S. Martino, bishop of Tours, stands on the square of the same name, one of the most beautiful Baroque spaces in the city. Already mentioned in an exchange of goods in 886 AD, it was considered the third most important church in Asti, after the Cathedral and the Collegiate Church of San Secondo. Over the centuries it has undergone various passages between religious orders and numerous modifications, up to the end of the 1600s, when the fourteenth-century building, with three naves, was demolished and rebuilt in Baroque style with a single nave, a large presbytery area and numerous side chapels. Inside, noteworthy are the frescoes by Giovanni Carlo Aliberti, the beautiful eighteenth-century wooden crucifix on the high altar, probably the work of the Bonzanigo workshop in Asti, and the valuable sacristy with eighteenth-century walnut furnishings, the work of Antonio Manzone. The 14th century bell tower, the only remaining building of the ancient church, was raised by one floor in the second half of the 1700s.
5 Church of San Silvestro, Via F. Morelli 13 (near Piazza Medici), ☎ +39 0141 530760. admission free. The Church of San Silvestro rises in the district of the same name, one of the oldest in the city. Its origins date back to the first decades of the 11th century and it is dedicated to Pope San Silvestro. Over the centuries it has undergone numerous changes, up to the reconstruction in the second half of the 19th century, in Baroque style, which led it to be like we see it today. Inside it is possible to admire many frescoes, including those of Michelangelo Pittatore.
6 Church of San Rocco. The Church of San Rocco rises in the village of the same name, to the left of the old gate of San Martino, in place of a smaller church in the ancient contrada dei filanti. The current building, dating back to 1720, was built on a project by the architect Carlo Giulio Quadri and is in Baroque style. The interior has a single large nave with a dome and side chapels which house numerous works including Christ at the Column by C.G. Plura, life-size wooden statue. Over the centuries the Church has undergone various damages and restorations: in 1793 it was chosen as a place to house the French soldiers prisoners, in 1800 it was used by the Austrian troops, while in 1943 and 1994 it was hit by two floods. The church was the seat of the Battuti Verdi confraternity.
7 Confraternity Church of the SS. Trinity and Sant'Evasio, Via Cavour. Free admission. The church of the Confraternity of the Santissima Trinità and Sant'Evasio stands on a pre-existing medieval building and the current appearance dates back to the Baroque modifications of the second half of the 1700s and to the alterations of 1851. The interior, with a single nave, with a barrel ceiling and with two side chapels, it has numerous frescoes from the 18th century, while among the statues the one of the Redeemer by Bonzanigo stands out. The church is still the headquarters of the Confraternity of the Battuti Rossi, the only one still active in Asti. Born before 1570, the confraternity also took care of the adjacent hospital of the Pellegrini di Sant'Evasio. In memory of the ancient paliophile tradition of the brotherhood, documented in 1648, during the period of the Palio (third Sunday of September), an ex voto painting dated 1677 is exhibited, which represents the oldest iconographic representation of the "long race", i.e. the Palio that took place along the Contrada Maestra, the current Corso Alfieri.
8 Church of the Consolata, V. Orphanage on the corner with V. Hope. Free admission. The church of San Teobaldo, known as della Consolata, stands a short distance from the church of S. Silvestro, next to the former Cistercian monastery, which in 1803 became the home of orphans and today houses a nursery school. Documents of 1801 by S.G. Engraved speak of the existing complex in the seventeenth century. In the first half of the 1700s, the monastery was rebuilt in Baroque style and the interior, which still retains the eighteenth-century staircase leading to the upper floors, was totally modified in the 19th century. The church too underwent remodeling in the eighteenth century, acquiring the currently visible neoclassical façade, while the building and bell tower were restored in 1995. The interior with a single nave, with a barrel ceiling and two side chapels, has a valuable rococo style altar.
9 Collegiate Church of San Secondo, Piazza San Secondo, ☎ +39 0141 530066. Mon-Sun 10:45-12:00 and 15:30-17:30. The Collegiate Church of San Secondo is one of the most important Romanesque-Gothic examples in all of Piedmont. Located in the homonymous square in the heart of the city. the basilica is dedicated to San Secondo, the patron saint of the city, whose bones are contained in the sixteenth-century reliquary located inside the crypt. On 25 September 1993 it was visited by John Paul II. The facade is austere, in line with medieval architecture, even if its construction dates back to the fifteenth century. Suggestive are the pinnacles and the wrought iron cross, evidence of the nineteenth-century restorations. The interior is presented as a unitary environment without further stylistic additions. Of particular value are some paintings by Gandolfino d'Asti (the adoration of the magi) and the wooden crucifix placed on the altar, the work of Giuseppe Badarello. Also noteworthy is a Madonna of the rosary from the Moncalvo school. Of great value is the choir, whose stalls are in carved walnut from the 17th century (work signed by Bonzanigo and dated 1702). The last restoration dates back to 1980 by the Mascioni family.


Secular buildings

Medieval buildings
10 Palazzo Catena, Via XX Settembre 16 (not far from the Church of S. Paolo). Palazzo Catena is one of the oldest buildings in Asti: it dates back to the medieval period and is said to have been inhabited by Iginia d'Asti, protagonist of the homonymous tragedy by Silvio Pellico. Historians from Asti do not agree on the succession of the various owners: in 1815, canon Incisa attributes the property to the Solaros, while Gabiani, in 1900, speaks of ownership by the Catena family, hence the name of the building, and finally further studies from 2004 point to yet other owners. From an architectural point of view it has two orthogonal arms, the older one (XXIII century) inside and the one parallel to V. XX Settembre, obtained from pre-existing buildings, joined by a tower. The facade has a typical "ogival" entrance with four frames in alternating "cotto" and sandstone and a sumptuous cornice of terracotta tiles simulating trilobed arches, and bearing zodiac, astrological and apotropaic symbols, unique for the city. The tower corresponding to about a third of the facade on the east side, towards the church of S. Paolo, most likely had mullioned windows, but during the 15th century it was "lowered" and "uniformed" to the rest of the building.
Currently on the ground floor of the building is "La vie en rose", a Provençal furniture and gift shop, with an adjoining restaurant (reserved for members), from which it is possible to admire architectural details from the medieval era of the building.
The building is privately owned.
11 Palazzo Zoya, Via Carducci 65. Palazzo Zoya is a fine example of a stronghold, which belonged to the Zoya family, who developed the house-making business in the 1300s in Savoy and for this activity they underwent a lawsuit for usury in 1356. The The building was born from the unification, at the end of the 1200s, of other pre-existing medieval buildings, which were joined together and raised by one floor. Six large single-lancet windows were built, three of which are decorated in terracotta and alternating bricks. In the 16th century the noble floor was restructured, with the raising of the vaults and the painting of the wooden ceilings according to the Renaissance canons and the loggia with a double order of arches was built internally. The central portal dates back to the seventeenth century while the lower side openings gave access in the Middle Ages to the "fondaco", the large basement rooms that served as warehouses in merchant residences. The terracotta cornice on the facade is valuable.
12 Palazzo del Podestà (Town Hall), via Incisa at the corner with via dei Cappellai (at piazza San Secondo, after the Lo Stregatto bar). The Palazzo del Podestà is among the most beautiful medieval buildings, its name derives erroneously from Gabiani who, having documented himself on the writings of canon Incisa, considered the palace as the residence of the podestà in the communal era, who in reality lived either in private houses or in the Casa del Popolo, next to the Collegiate Church of S. Secondo. Built in the 13th century, probably as the third municipal building, after the one built near the cathedral and the one next to the Collegiate Church of S. Secondo, corresponding to the current Palazzo Civico, it was used as a warehouse for the "saint market" and a representative office. when many of the functions of the city were moved to today's Piazza S. Secondo, then also the market square. In the 15th and 16th centuries it was the seat of the municipality. In the eighteenth century it housed the secretariat of the Notary College, hence the name Palazzo dei Notai. From 1810 it ceased to be municipal property. From an architectural point of view, it has the typical structure of a stronghold, even if the current appearance is affected by the numerous modifications undergone by the initial medieval construction. It is a massive quadrilateral with a trapezoidal base with a basement and three raised floors from different periods. The latter, in fact, derives from the raising of the battlements and the construction of the roof. On the ground floor it has single-lancet windows, while on the noble floor there are mullioned windows. Two round arched entrances, with a two-tone white-red ring, allowed entry into the building. Inside, a sturdy square brick pillar supports the cross vaults. The basement, which according to Bera, must have served as a warehouse for the municipality's salt or grain, is now occupied by the Il Podestà restaurant.
13 Palazzo Antichi Tribunali, on the east corner between Piazza San Secondo and Piazza Statuto. Its construction dates back to the first half of the thirteenth century, even if the historical information is very scarce. The palace was the seat of trials in judicial disputes and, most likely, also of prisons. Together with the Municipality complex located opposite, it constituted the area of the institutional buildings of the city. Of the original structure, the porch remains, albeit much altered, and two floors with large windows decorated in terracotta and sandstone.
14 Palazzo Verasis-Asinari, Via Natta 22. The building dates back to the 14th century and was part of a larger building complex of Gothic architecture, including Via Cattedrale, Via Giobert, Via Natta and Via Milliavacca, of the Recinto dei Nobili. The sandstone and brick building featured a tower, which is no longer visible, to the left of the door. On the noble floor there are Renaissance "crusader" windows, similar to those of Palazzo Mazzola, dating back to the renovation that took place in that period, which also saw the creation of the internal portico. Currently the building is owned by the Municipality of Asti which uses it as the seat of the "G. Verdi" Institute of Music.
15 Casaforte dei Roero di Cortanze, Via Quintino Sella 21, at the corner with Via San Martino. It stands opposite Palazzo Gazelli and belonged to one of the branches of the powerful Roero family, whose properties ranged from the Asti area to the Langhe, in the area which took the name of "Roero" from the family. The ancient stronghold, whose construction dates back to the first half of the 13th century, has two floors delimited by the stringcourse, elegant mullioned windows with terracotta and sandstone decorations and a central column with a capital with acanthus leaves. The massive corner tower measures 7.50 m on each side and was probably lowered in the 18th century. Inside, of particular interest is a room with pointed arch vaults delimited by cylindrical ribs typical of medieval architecture of the thirteenth century.
16 Stronghold of the Roero di Monteu, Via Roero, at the corner with Piazza San Martino. The original nucleus of the complex consisted of three buildings from the mid-13th century, whose entrance was on the alley that separated them from the Church of San Martino, at that time with the facade facing the palaces. The construction of the 7.50 m side tower, probably 37 meters high, now lowered to the level of the building, dates back to the end of the 13th century. Above an ogival arched entrance in terracotta and sandstone, there were mullioned windows, also decorated and with a painted upper lunette, of which only that of the top floor is preserved today. Inside the building, the beautiful wooden coffered ceiling painted with jousting scenes with the Roero knights as protagonists is valuable. In the Napoleonic period the palace became the seat of the prefecture and in 1804 hosted Pope Pius VII on his journey to France to crown Napoleon Bonaparte emperor of the French.
17 Torre Comentina, Piazza Roma at the corner with Corso Alfieri. The tower that has come down to us intact is located in the San Martino-San Rocco district. It is the second civic tower of the city, measuring 3.32 meters per side at the base, while its height is 38.55 meters. It ends with a terrace with dovetail Ghibelline battlements and has an underlying decoration with a double order of terracotta and sandstone arches. The ogival windows that open on all four sides, on the last order, are decorated with the same chromatic motif as the arches above. Due to the type of structure and decoration, the tower dates back to the second half of the 13th century. Its name derives from studies by Gabiani who attributed its construction to the Comentina family, while more recent research by Bera indicates it as the property of the powerful Ghibelline family of the Gardinos, who had their own district in the area.
18 Torre e Palazzo Gazzelli, Via Quintino Sella 46, corner of via San Martino (between Piazza Statuto and Via Roero), ☎ +39-348-7152273. The current complex belonged to the "Ponte di Lombriasco", then to the "Cotti di Ceres", then from 1840 to the "Gazelli di Rossana", and now privately owned, includes a group of buildings whose medieval origins are highlighted by the shape of the walls of the ground floor, by the vaults and by the presence of the sturdy thirteenth-century severed tower with a square base of 8 meters on each side, now 24 m high, but originally 38 m high. However, the origins of the building are much older in consideration of the traces of Roman walls present in the cellars. The currently existing complex consists of the building renovated in the mid-18th century to a design by Benedetto Alfieri and the adjacent building, also of medieval origin, modified in the mid-19th century by the architect. Valessina, according to the building typology of the "income house", including, in the courtyards, the rustic appurtenances. In fact, in the second internal courtyard, the service courtyard, there are large cellars for the vinification, which was carried out here until the mid-1900s, the stables, the granary and the remittances. The main floor of the building has three rooms with "lambriggi", wooden paneling with gilded frames and mouldings, typical of 18th-century Piedmontese furnishings. At the center of the sidings in the second room there are frescoes, very important for the city's history, dating back to 1758, the year in which Count Cotti di Ceres was the owner of the horse that won the Palio for the Confraternity of the Annunziata. They depict the fireworks in Piazza San Secondo and scenes from the Palio. For information on visiting hours and on the events that are organised, use the website.
19 Torre De Regibus, Via Roero at the corner with Corso Alfieri. The thirteenth-century tower stands on the area that was owned by the Re or De Regibus family, a noble Ghibelline family dedicated to lending and trading in Metz, Lorraine and Piedmont. The only example of an octagonal tower existing in the city, originally 39 m high, with Ghibelline battlements on the top, it is currently 27 m high, following the demolition, in the 18th century, of three of the original nine floors. The tower was part of a defensive complex formed by two other towers: the Quartero tower and a smaller one, the "turret". For this reason, the area is still known today as the "corner of the three kings".
20 Guttuari Tower, Piazza Statuto, at the corner with Via XX Settembre. The tower stands on what is now Piazza Statuto, one of the most important city market centers of the Middle Ages, originally called Piazza dei porci or del fieno or del vino, which became Piazza delle Erbe or dell'Ortaglia towards the second half of the fifteenth century, because it was the seat of the fruit and vegetable market. Gabiani attributes the property to the Guttuaris, hence the name, but according to the most recent studies by Bera, the tower belonged to the Bertramenghi and Scarampi families, already present in the area when the Guttuaris arrived. Built between 1225 and 1235, it has a square base of 5.80 m on the outside and 4 m on the inside. The upper part and the Ghibelline crenellation date back to the end of the 19th century, a period in which the rectangular windows were also opened and the still existing shop was created on the ground floor. The tower is still inhabited today.
21 Natta Tower and Palaces. The tower is located in V. Natta at the corner with V. Milliavacca, in the cathedral district, it was probably built in the 11th century. with red bricks and only became the property of the Nattas in the 17th century. The style of the tower, although cut off and modified over time, is Gothic and together with the adjacent building it must have been a very solid stronghold. The ground plan is a square of 5 m on each side, the barrel is smooth and closed, decorated with a double band of droplet friezes. The door of V. Natta dates back to the Renaissance, while that of V. Milliavacca, surmounted by an arch with ashlars and white-red bricks, retains the characteristics of the Asti Middle Ages. Other palaces of the Natta family, with medieval characteristics, are located in P. Statuto, on the corner with V. Q. Sella, which in the 17th century was called Contrada delli Signori Natta. In one of these buildings, for 200 years, before moving to V. Testa, there were the Royal Prisons.
22 Torre Quartero, Via Roero, corner with Corso Alfieri (opposite the Torre De Regibus). Tower built in the first half of the 13th century, in Gothic style and with a square plan, it is an example of a habitable tower. In fact, according to Bera's studies, in the medieval period it was the residence of da Uberto De Regibus. It derives its name from Lorenzo Quartero, owner of the building in the eighteenth century, a period in which it was lowered to the level of the roofs.
23 Torre Solaro, Via Giobert, at the corner with Via Carducci. Originally certainly higher, it was erroneously attributed by the historian Gabiani to the powerful Guelph family of the Solaro, who had some homes in that area. At the moment it is impossible to trace the original owners of the tower in the Middle Ages: according to Bera, in the 16th century. the tower and the adjacent buildings belonged to the Ponte family. From an architectural point of view, the building dates back to the second half of the 13th century, in Gothic style. At the base it measures 8.10 meters on each side, it has a smooth square barrel with single-lancet windows on the upper floors. The two mullioned windows with pointed arches probably derive from the "reconstructive" restoration of 1932.
24 Torre Civica (Torre Troyana), Piazza Medici, ☎ +39 0141 399489. Full ticket €2.50, reduced €1.10.. from April to October Saturday and Sunday 10:00-13:00 and 16:00-19:00 ( in October 16:00-18:). The Troyana tower or clock tower is one of the symbols of Asti and is located near the Palazzo Ducale or Del Governatore, in Piazza Medici. The building dates back to the end of the XII century. And in the 13th century it belonged to the Troya family, a rich line of bankers. The tower is 44 m high, perfectly preserved, and is the tallest medieval tower in Piedmont. It is characterized by three orders of elegant mullioned windows and decorations with terracotta and sandstone arches. In the fifteenth century. it became a civic tower and the clock was installed, present in the municipal tower of Piazza S. Secondo, which collapsed in 1680, which was protected with the construction of the sloping roof and with the spire used as a belfry. Inside, a staircase of 190 steps allows you to climb to the level of the battlements from which you can enjoy a complete view of the city and the surrounding hills. The bell, which still marks the hours today, dates back to the 16th century. and is one of the oldest in Piedmont. In the past it sounded the closure of the shops, the punishments in the public square and, in the nineteenth century, the retreat for the night and the opening of the schools. The tower, recently restored, can be visited by telephone reservation.
25 Torre Rossa, Corso Alfieri 424 (Near the Church of Santa Caterina). It is one of the two towers which constituted one of the ancient Roman gates of access to the city. Its Roman origins are evident in the lower part, made of fired bricks, while the uppermost part, made up of the last two orders of windows, is the medieval part, also recognizable by the alternating use of terracotta and sandstone, typical of Piedmontese Romanesque . According to tradition, the tower was the prison of San Secondo before his martyrdom and for this reason, once it lost its function as a palatine gate, it survived and was used in the 11th century as the bell tower of the new church of San Secondo, called precisely of the Red Tower. The modifications, carried out according to the taste of the time, which led to its elevation date back to this period: a first floor, in terracotta, probably older, with round arched windows and a second floor, dating back to the XII - XIII century, in terracotta and sandstone with 8 windows, with a second arch inside which restricts the opening. The two floors both end with an order of arches. The tower has a slight slope most likely due to the elimination of the Roman structures and buildings that surrounded it until the 1930s.


Baroque buildings

26 Palazzo Ottolenghi, Corso Vittorio Alfieri, 350, ☎ +39 0141 399050. The current building is the result of the 1754 renovation by Benedetto Alfieri, who on behalf of Count Giuseppe Antonio Gabutti unified two adjacent buildings, one already owned of the family of Count Carlo Gabutti of Bestagno and the other purchased by the Ramelli family of Celle. In May 1815, after the fall of Napoleon Bonaparte, he was a guest of the Pope Pius VII palace. The room in which he stayed is still called the "papal room". The building's current name comes from the richest Jewish family in Asti who took possession of it in 1851 and completely renovated the noble floor, according to the taste of the time, adding internal decorations and overdoors. In 1932 the Ottolenghi family donated it to the city of Asti, which used it as the seat of the Prefecture. Palazzo Ottolenghi was for years the seat of the authorities' stage and the arrival point of the historic Palio race in the long run. Now some municipal offices reside in the building and the main hall is used for conferences and exhibitions during cultural events.
27 Town Hall, Piazza San Secondo. The Palazzo di Città or Palazzo Civico is the seat of the municipal council of the city of Asti, of the offices of the mayor and of the Council of the Palio. Its origins date back to the medieval period, even if today it appears as a Baroque building, following the restructuring of the eighteenth century. by Benedetto Alfieri. The facade of the building has three orders of openings, in which the central block prevails, tympanums of the windows with corbel keystones equipped with a drip. The decorations of the staircase date back to the 20th century and are the work of Ottavio Baussano: four famous personalities from Asti are represented on the ceiling: the architect Benedetto Alfieri, the playwright Giovan Giorgio Alione, the cabinetmaker Giuseppe Maria Bonzanigo and the mathematical engineer Alberto Castigliano . On the walls are reproduced a map of Asti taken from the Theatrum Sabaudie of 1682, the map of the city of 1929 and the representation of the city in the seventeenth century. with the ancient route of the Palio in the long run. In the reception hall, the frescoed ceiling by Paolo Arri is remarkable. In the entrance hall there is the touchstone for the linear measurements of bricks and roof tiles, in use on the Asti market until the late Middle Ages.
28 Church of the ex Confraternity of San Michele, Piazza San Martino 4, ☎ +39 0141 355699. The church of the ex Confraternity of San Michele is a Baroque church, of modest dimensions, with a single nave. On the eighteenth-century facade, above the door, there is a frieze depicting the Archangel Michael. Previously a place of Catholic worship, then deconsecrated, it was restored at the end of the 20th century and since 2000 has become the headquarters of the Associazione Diavolo Rosso, a non-profit association which offers shows, art exhibitions, literary meetings, fundraising, food and wine events, tasting and promotion of gastronomic specialties, allocating the proceeds to local and international solidarity activities and projects. Diavolo Rosso was the battle name of the famous cyclist from Asti Giovanni Gerbi (1885-1954). The church is open in the evening from Thursday to Sunday, but often also at other times and days of the week. For information and calendar of events, visit the website.
29 Centro Giraudi (former church of San Giuseppe), Piazza San Giuseppe 1, ☎ +39 0141 351874. It is located in the Church of San Giuseppe, a Baroque building from the 17th-18th century, now deconsecrated. The Center organizes exhibitions, cultural events, musical and theatrical performances. There is currently a plan for the creation, in some adjacent rooms, of the Museo della Scenotecnica, the only one in Italy, with the aim of teaching and disseminating the art of theatrical scenography.



30 Monument to Vittorio Alfieri, Piazza Alfieri. Dating from 1862.
31 War memorial, Piazza I Maggio. Dating back to 1930.
32 Monument to Federico Cotti of Ceres, Piazza S. Maria Nuova. Dating from 1855.
33 Fountain of the Cantarana aqueduct, Piazza Medici. Dating back to 1908.
34 Monument to Umberto I, Piazza Cairoli. Asti was the first city to erect a bronze equestrian statue of Umberto I, assassinated in Monza about a year before the inauguration of the monument, which took place on 4 October 1903. The square was named after the king and later after the Cairoli brothers, but known all as "Piazza del Cavallo", it was built together with the monument at the behest of a committee chaired by Count Leonetti Ottolenghi, who paid the costs. The statue is the work of the sculptor Odoardo Tabacchi and cast in bronze by Corrado Betta.
35 Monument to the Unification of Italy, Piazza Roma. Dating back to 1898.
36 Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II (Public Gardens). Dating back to 1884.
37 Monument to Paolo Lugano - Bersagliere, Piazza Lugano. Dating back to 1986.



38 Jewish Museum, Via Ottolenghi, 8 (Near Piazza Roma), ☎ +39 0141 399489, +39 0141 399466, +39 0141 399508, +39 0141 590003, fax: +39 0141 558338, Visits by reservation. The Synagogue dates back to 1600, but was enlarged and restructured in the 19th century, when the Jewish community present in Asti played a significant role in the economic and cultural development of the city. The museum, set up in the winter temple, houses silverware, fabrics, objects of religious and non-cultical use, furnishings, prayer books, photographs, manuscripts and other evidence of the Jewish presence in Asti.
39 Museo Alfieriano, Corso Alfieri, 375, ☎ +39 0141 399489. The museum is housed in the birthplace of Vittorio Alfieri (1749-1803), a building of medieval origins, but renovated in Baroque style by the poet's cousin and tutor, Benedetto Bishops. The museum includes the writer's apartment, with the original furniture, many documents on his activity, engravings and lithographs from the 18th and 19th centuries. In the building there are also the National Center for Alfieri Studies and the Eugenio Guglielminetti Foundation Center for theatrical studies and figurative art which hosts temporary exhibitions. After years of restoration, the Alfieri museum can be visited again.
40 Crypt and museum of Sant'Anastasio, Corso Alfieri 365/A, ☎ +39 0141 437454. November-March Tue-Sun: 10am-1pm; 3pm-6pm. April-October Tue-Sun : 10:00-13:00;16:00-19:00. The complex has the dual role of archaeological site and museum. The archaeological evidence, present in the western part of the museum, ranges from the 1st-2nd century AD. until the early 1900s. In fact, there are visible remains of the pavement of the Roman forum, traces of houses from the late ancient period, tombs dating back to the 7th-10th century, the foundation wall of the first early medieval church of Sant'Anastasio (7th century), remains of the subsequent Romanesque church ( 11th century) and a part of the perimeter wall of the seventeenth-century Baroque church demolished in 1907. The church of Sant'Anastasio was part of the homonymous Benedictine female monastery already documented in 1008, but probably of Lombard origin, which was for centuries not only a spirituality, but economic and political power due to its vast land holdings and links with the Asti aristocracy, from which its abbesses usually came. In the Napoleonic period, it was privatized and purchased by the Cotti Ceres counts, who donated it, in 1835, to the municipality of Asti which used it for educational activities until its demolition in 1907, when the new classical high school was built. Very suggestive is the crypt of the church dating back to the 11th-12th century, with a basilica plan with three naves with cross vaults, where you can admire recovered columns and capitals from the Roman and early medieval periods. In the eastern part of the museum, stone elements belonging to the site of S. Anastasio are conserved, cantonal stones and coats of arms from strongholds and noble palaces of the city and other finds dating mainly from the period between the eighth and sixteenth centuries.
41 Palazzo Mazzetti and Pinacoteca Civica, Corso Vittorio Alfieri, 357, ☎ +39 0141 530403, fax: +39 0141 599678, variable depending on the exhibitions. Tue - Sun, 10.30am – 6.30pm (last admission at 5.30pm). Palazzo Mazzetti derives its name from the Mazzetti family of noble origins, coming from Chieri, who settled in Asti after the purchase of the Turco stronghold in 1442, enriched by the mercantile activity and by lending money and with the right to mint coins, a privilege which he kept until 1614. The palace is the result of the unification, starting from the end of the 17th century, of adjacent buildings, gradually acquired by the family. In the middle of the eighteenth century. the building was renovated by Benedetto Alfieri who created the representative rooms, the facade, the atrium and the staircase. It is currently owned by the Cassa di Risparmio di Asti and houses the Museum and the Civic Art Gallery. In the basement you can visit the pantries, the icebox and the permanent archaeological exhibition "Souvenir m'en doit".
42 Museum of the Risorgimento, Corso Alfieri 350 (at Palazzo Ottolenghi), ☏ +39 0141 353072 (Municipality Museum Office), +39 0141 399489 (booking). Sat-Sun 10am-1pm and 4pm-7pm. Mon-Fri by reservation. The origin of the Museum dates back to 1898, when on the occasion of the celebrations for the fiftieth anniversary of the Albertine Statute, Count Leonetto Ottolenghi commissioned the best painters of that period to paint paintings depicting events and characters of the Risorgimento. The exhibition was set up at the Alla del Foro Boario in Piazza Alfieri, a building demolished in the 1960s to make way for the provincial building. At the end of the exhibition, the finds were transferred to Palazzo Alfieri, and from here, after the establishment of the Centro Studi Alfieriani, they were moved to Palazzo Mazzetti where they remained on display until 1984. After years of archiving, in correspondence with the celebrations for the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the unification of Italy on 23 March 2012 the museum was inaugurated in its current location under the high patronage of the President of the Italian Republic Giorgio Napolitano. The Museum presents pictorial works by Pontremoli, Morgari, Cerruti Bauduc, Pittatore, Arri, Badoni, which depict historical figures and battles of the Risorgimento epic, relics, collections of weapons, coins from the period between 1797, the year of the Astese republic, and 1870, the result of donations from Asti families. From the Risorgimento rooms on the ground floor, you go down to the Second World War air-raid shelter where an engaging projection illustrates the history of the air-raid shelters and the Asti events of the period. In the rooms on the first basement floor, a series of educational panels and display cases complete the history of the city during the first and second world wars. The layout of the Museum pays particular attention to visitors with disabilities: thanks to a multimedia station and two visual-tactile devices, everything visible on the underground floors is illustrated to them.
43 Territorial Paleontological Museum, Corso Alfieri, 381 (at the Palazzo del Michelerio, near Palazzo Alfieri.), ☎ +39 0141 592091, Mon-Thurs 10am-4pm. Sunday 10:00-13:00; 15:00-18:00 standard time, 10:00-13:00 16:00-19:00 summer time. Closed on Friday and Saturday. The Museum offers two itineraries: one which concerns the general and territorial palaeontology inherent to the geological events of the last 25 million years and another which presents the fossil skeletal remains of Asti cetaceans, whales and dolphins, dating back to the Pliocene, between 5 and 2 million years ago, when the entire Po Valley was occupied by the sea. There are very important finds: the whale of Valmontasca (Vigliano d'Asti), the whale of Portacomaro, the "Tersilla" whale of S. Marzanotto d'Asti and the dolphins of Belangero and Settime.
44 Archeo-paleontological museum, Corso Alfieri 2 (near the baptistery of San Pietro in Consavia), ☎ +39 0141 353072, +39 0141 399489 (Museums and reservations office), +39 0141 399466 (Museums and reservations office), +39 0141 399508 (Museums and reservations office), Only visits by reservation are possible for schools and groups. The Museum is housed on two floors. Various fossils are exhibited on the ground floor, mainly from the Asti area: shells and fossilized animal remains. On the second floor there are archaeological finds: pre-Roman metals, Greek, Magna-Greek and Etruscan ceramics and many Roman remains, such as terracotta vases and oil lamps, cinerary urns, glass and bronzes. Among the materials of Egyptian origin, two mummies are exhibited with the relative sarcophagi and various objects of a religious-funerary nature.
45 San Giovanni Diocesan Museum, ☎ +39 0141 592176 ext 56, fax: +39 0141 326941, The museum, still under construction, is located in V. Natta 36, on the spaces of the cathedral complex. The project involves the restoration of the Cloisters of the Canons, where the treasures of the cathedral will be kept, the already completed restoration of the church of San Giovanni, a versatile space capable of fulfilling various functions, the restoration of the tower of Santo Stefano, the enhancement of the archaeological emerged during the excavation phase, the formation of a bank containing a space which, in addition to becoming an archaeological site, will act as a link between the museum spaces. The construction of the first covering slab of the underground spaces allowed the protection of the archaeological structures that emerged during the excavations and the creation of a first part of the museum. The spaces open to the public, equal to 700 square meters, include the hall of the former church of San Giovanni, the beautiful 8th century crypt below and allow you to see part of the treasure of the Cathedral and the splendid wooden choir by Baldino di Surso (1477). Substantial historical reasons lead us to affirm that the church of San Giovanni was the first early Christian cathedral of the diocese of Asti, dating back to the V-VI century, rebuilt with three naves in the 9th century, probably destroyed in the fire of 1070, when the whole city it was put to fire and sword by the Countess Adelaide of Susa. The Church of San Giovanni underwent major alterations in the 15th century, with the demolition of the apse and part of the 8th-century crypt and the construction of the current façade with an east entrance. The north nave of the church (insisting on the current via Natta) had already collapsed in the XIII century, while the south nave was used as a residence for the canons and then demolished in the XVIII century. The surviving central nave of the San Giovanni was covered with cross vaults and then decorated in the mid-19th century. What remained of the cathedral of San Giovanni in the last few centuries was used as a parish church and then as a theater until the recent restorations.
46 Domus Romana dei Varroni, ☎ +39 0141 437454, +39 0141 399489. It is located in the basement of the "Canuto Borelli" home for the elderly, owned by the municipality, in V. Varrone 30, about 80 meters north of the western city gate , or the Torre Rossa, in the area of the Varroni castle. The Domus Romana, dating back to the second half of the 1st century AD, at the time was a private residence, usually on one floor, used by wealthy families. In the white cocciopesto flooring, there is a valuable mosaic built with the opus tesselatum technique combined with opus sectile delimited by an internal herringbone frame and another, more external, with a braided motif. The black and white mosaic is decorated with geometric figures in colored marble alternating with zoomorphic figures and aquatic plants. A very short distance away is also the mouth of an oven which fed the domestic heating by means of cavities in the floors (called "hypocaust" heating). On a small surface of the wall you can see traces of the ancient decoration which must have been very rich. The orientation of the walls is perpendicular to the Via Fulvia, the current Corso Alfieri (the ancient decumanus maximus). Other remains of "Roman domus" have come to light in recent years: to the east of the domus in via Varrone, still in correspondence with corso Alfieri, in the underground rooms of the Palazzo della Rovere in via Giobert and even further east, in the area of via Carducci, near the tower of the Vescovado.
47 Palazzo Mazzola (Historical Archive of the Municipality of Asti). The palace is one of the few examples of Renaissance architecture in Asti. Of medieval origins (13th century), as evidenced by the foundations and the three pointed windows facing via Buon Pastore), it owes its current appearance to the works completed in 1500. In 1710 Filippo Mazzola donated the building to the Opera pious "Buon Shepherd", an institution that housed abandoned children and young people or in situations of poverty and degradation. Since 1979, with the suppression of the Opera pia, the building has become the seat of the historical archive of the Municipality and preserves important documents of the medieval period, the oldest of which dates back to 947. There are also documents relating to the period of Savoy domination, to the Napoleonic period and the Restoration, as well as evidence of festivals, fairs, demonstrations, censuses, various statistics and the archives of the suppressed municipalities that became part of the municipality of Asti between the end of the last century and 1929.
48 Church of San Pietro in Consavia, Corso Alfieri 2, ☎ +39 0141 353072, fax: +39 0141 399507, free entry. November-March: Tue-Sun 10:00-13:00; 15:00-18:00. April-October Tue-Sun 10:00-13:00; 16:00-19:00. The church of San Pietro in Consavia, or Complex of the Baptistery of San Pietro dates back to the 12th century. and was the seat of the Gerosolimitano Priory of Lombardy until 1798. It consists of four buildings. The oldest part is the Rotunda of the Holy Sepulchre, a copy of the holy place, created to respond to the spiritual needs of pilgrims who could not afford a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. The brick and sandstone building has a polygonal perimeter on the outside, while inside it has a circular plan, with a central space circumscribed by eight columns, with cubic capitals with rounded corners, connected to each other by round arches. It was used as a baptistery only at the end of the 13th century: in the center of the Rotunda there is a 16th-century marble baptismal font. To this first building was added between the 13th and 14th centuries, a church made up of three buildings, arranged in a "U" to form an internal cloister, divided into the Pellegrini Hospital and Casa Priorale. In the fifteenth century there was a new expansion with the addition of a square-plan building on the eastern side, the chapel of San Pietro in Consavia, also called the Valperga chapel from the name of the client, with a cross vault decorated with a complex array of tiles figures in terracotta, the richest example of this ornamental technique preserved in Asti.
Scassa Tapestry Museum (At the Scassa Tapestry Shop at the Certosa di Valmanera).

Art gallery
50 Giov-Anna Piras Fund Association, Via Angelo Brofferio 80, ☎ +39 0141353111, free entry. The Giov-Anna Piras fund enhances its collection fund through exhibitions and events of modern art and photography.
51 Soria Mario, Piazza Roma 11, ☎ +39 0141354176. Contemporary carpet art.
52 Art is light, Via Bonzanigo 34, ☎ +39 3355384984, Thu and Fri 16:00-20:00; Sat 10am-1pm; you receive at other times by appointment.


Events and parties

In Asti events are organized throughout the year, some aimed at a wider audience, others more niche, but there are events in all seasons.

In spring
Spring Fair, Via Cavour, Piazza San Secondo, Via Garibaldi, Piazza Alfieri, Viale alla Vittoria and Corso Alfieri, between Via Rossini and Piazza Alfieri. From 7:00 to 19:00. On a Sunday in early spring, between the end of March and the first week of April, more than 200 stalls invade the streets of the center offering goods of various kinds: clothing, footwear, household items and furnishings, games for children and many gastronomic delicacies both from Asti and from different regions of Italy. A section of the Fair, between Piazza Statuto, Piazza San Secondo, Via Garibaldi and the first stretch of Via Cavour is dedicated to the 0 km products of the Coldiretti farms. In the public gardens, in parallel, Asti Florum takes place, dedicated to plants, flowers and garden furniture.
Carolingian fair. Around the Alfieri squares and the Palio square in Asti, every year, on the first Wednesday in May, on the occasion of the patronal celebrations of San Secondo, the Carolingian Fair is held, the oldest, best known and largest of the Astigiane Fairs. a whole day all the streets and squares of the center of Asti are invaded by over 600 stalls of all kinds with many types of goods and typical products that always manage to meet the tastes of the visitors.
14 Vinissage, Corso Felice Cavallotti 45. €10 with pocket, glass, free tastings and €5 discount voucher on the purchase of the products on display. Reduced €5 for ONAV members; FISAR and SLOW FOOD. Sat 3pm-8.30pm; Sun 10:30-19:00. Exhibition-market of wines from organic and biodynamic agriculture, products, cellar respecting the naturalness of the grapes, without the use of chemicals. The purpose of the event is to promote conscious viticulture: by meeting small producers from all over Italy, it is possible to dialogue, confront them and taste their products. Alongside the wines, other organic products are offered: preserves, jams, cheeses, cured meats, oils, biscuits. Other initiatives accompany this event: Bio Wine Street tasting, organized by CreATive: on Friday evening and Saturday evening in the restaurants and bars in the center of the city you can taste the organic wines accompanying them with typical dishes. On Saturday afternoon the Nordic Walking and the treasure hunt take place; on Sunday you can go to the discovery of Asti, visiting places usually not open to the public or take part in the tour of the Unesco heritage hills.
Europe in Celebration, Piazza Campo del Palio. Event organized by Confesercenti with the Municipality, sees the participation of operators from all over Europe who, for 5-6 days at the end of May, offer the characteristic products of the different nations: from beers, to paella, from handicraft products to perfumes and with spices.
Gustadom, Cathedral District. First weekend of June: Friday evening, Saturday evening, full day on Sunday. It is a food and wine walk in the streets of the cathedral district: traditional Piedmontese dishes, paired with DOC and DOCG wines are distributed in the refreshment points set up in the historic squares and palaces of the district, combining gastronomic proposals with artistic and cultural ones. Some gluten-free dishes are also offered to allow everyone to taste the excellence of the local cuisine. On Sunday, the Mercà dij Busiard, an antiques market, takes place in Piazza Cattedrale, accompanied by the great Piedmontese mixed fry. Part of the proceeds from the event is donated to the Red Cross to assist the city's needy people.

In summer
Passepartout Festival, Courtyard of Palazzo di Collegio, Via Carducci 64. Free admission. The Passepartout Festival organized by the Fondazione Biblioteca Abstense Giorgio Faletti takes place in the first half of June. Distinguished guests give lectures on a specific theme, chosen each year. The title of the 2015 review is “1945-2015 Is the war over?”
Asti Music, Cathedral Square. Some concerts are free, others have a variable price depending on the artists performing. It is a series of concerts of different musical genres that are held in the Cathedral Square in the month of July. For the detailed programme: municipality of Asti.
Cinema Cinema, Corso Alfieri 381. Exhibition of open-air cinematographic performances, located in the Palazzo del Michelerio.
Douja d'Or, Corso Felice Cavallotti, ☎ +39 0141 535211, The Douja d'Or is a national wine competition that takes place in the Palazzo dell'Enofila, from the second to the third weekend of September. It owes its name, which is pronounced "dùja", to the dialectal term used to indicate an ancient and pot-bellied Piedmontese mug. The event was born in 1967 to promote knowledge of the best Italian wine productions, educating on the right way to drink. ONAV experts and technicians award the D.O.C. wines with the "Douja d'Or" stamp. and D.O.C.G. who have reached the score of 85/100 and assign the Douja Oscar to those who exceed 90/100 points. The event is not only a showcase of prestigious wines to taste and buy, but it is an important appointment with exhibitions, events, meetings, concerts and with refined menus of Piedmontese signature cuisine. In recent years, to enhance the local products, the Douja della Barbera and the Douja dell'Asti are held in parallel with the competition.

The Festival delle Sagre, Piazza Campo del Palio, ☎ +39 0141 535211, The Festival delle Sagre takes place in the same period as the Douja d'or wine fair, during the second weekend of September and constitutes " the truest representation of rural life in Asti" of the past. On Saturday evening, from 18:30, and from 11:30 to 22:00 on Sunday, over 40 proloco in the province of Asti offer their gastronomic specialties, from appetizers to desserts, accompanied by DOC wines from Asti in a large indoor restaurant 'open which occupies the entire square of the Palio. The menu, made up of more than 80 proposals, presents all the heritage of the poor and bourgeois gastronomy of the Asti and Monferrato areas. A symbolic event of the Festivals is the evocative parade which on Sunday morning, starting at 9:15, winds its way through the city, animated by more than three thousand participants in authentic period clothes, tractors and tools of the trade that recall the various moments of life peasant woman of the local villages between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and show the taste for the simple things of the past.
N.B.: Given the large influx of people, it is advisable, if possible, to reach the city by train. On this occasion, special trips are made to/from Turin. If you are using your own vehicle, we recommend parking on the outskirts of the city: Piscina Asti Lido di Corso Torino, near the ASTI OVEST motorway exit, and Piazza d' Armi (Pilone area), near the ASTI EST exit. Free shuttle buses, every half hour, both on Saturdays and Sundays, connect these car parks with the city centre.

In autumn
Palio of Asti. Asti's annual festival which falls on the first Sunday of September. It is a traditional festival that has medieval roots, born as part of the patronal celebrations of San Secondo and culminates with a race of barebacked horses, or without saddles. It involves the participation of 14 districts and 7 villages, each with a horse and a jockey. The race takes place in Piazza Alfieri and includes three heats plus a final; in all phases you have to do three laps of the track. To qualify for the final, you must finish at least in the first three positions of a heat. When the final is over, various prizes are given: the prize (a standard) is given to the first classified, a purse of silver coins to the second, spurs to the third, the "live rooster" to the fourth, a rosette and lastly the anchovy with the salad (traditionally, it is considered a joke).

Palio of the flag-wavers. The Palio degli Sbandieratori, also called "Paliotto", aims to perpetrate, through the ages, the secular game of the flag, in all its historical, cultural and traditional expressions. The musicians and flag-wavers of the various districts perform on the Thursday evening immediately preceding the Palio (third Sunday in September), in Piazza San Secondo, in front of a jury of experts in the art of the flag, under the supervision of the Captain of the Palio. It is a real explosion of sounds and colours. The winning district is awarded the "frontal", a cloth with the city's insignia, and wins the right to participate in the most important national events.
Autumn Fair. After the Spring Fair and the Carolingian, on a Sunday in the first fortnight of October, another of the traditional events that involve the entire historical center of the city returns. More than 250 operators offer products of various kinds: from food to clothing, from handicrafts to accessories. The 2015 edition will take place on 11 October.

Kitchen and Cellar and Regional Truffle Fair, Centro Storico, ☎ +39 0141 399486. The Regional Truffle Fair takes place on the weekend of mid-November in the historic center of the city. The "trifolau" (truffle hunters) offer, on their small but very precious and very fragrant stalls, the trifule to be thinly sliced on raw meat, on tajarin or on fondue. Many side initiatives (conferences, tastings, musical performances ....) are the corollary to the event. Above all "Cucina e cantina", a grandiose event dedicated to good drinking and good food, offered by the city's restaurants, obviously with dishes based on truffles. For 2015 the fair will take place on 14 and 15 November.

In winter
Christmas Markets, Porticoes of Piazza Alfieri. Christmas items of handcrafted production and food and wine products are offered to give away on the occasion of the holidays.
Passepartout en hiver, Casa del teatro, via Goltieri 3. free admission. Organized by the Astense Library and the CNA Asti, it is divided into a series of meetings that take place on Sunday afternoons from mid-January to mid-March. It is a "cultural salon" in which different topics are illustrated and discussed.



Getting here

By plane
Turin airport, about 80 km away (1h). From the airport buses and trains leave for the Porta Nuova railway station in Turin where it is possible to take the train to Asti.
Milan Linate airport 135 km away (1.5 hours).
Milan Malpensa airport 150 km away (1.5 hours).
Genoa airport 110 km away (1h).
The city can be reached from the airports by renting a car, which is then useful for visiting the Asti countryside, or by shuttle bus and train.

By car
Along the Turin - Brescia motorway, take the Asti Est and Asti Ovest exits.
state road 231 from Ventimiglia, Cuneo, Bra and Alba.
state road 457 from Vercelli and Casale Monferrato.
state road 458 from Ivrea and Chivasso.
state road 10 from Turin and Alessandria.

On the train
The Asti railway station is on the Turin-Alessandria-Genoa line. The connections with Turin and Alessandria are frequent, every 30 minutes, those with Genoa every 60 minutes. From Milan it is necessary to change in Alessandria or Voghera.

By bus
Troiolo Bus, Corso Garibaldi, 185 - Siderno, ☎ +39 0964 381325, fax: +39 0964 381325, The company allows the direct connection of Asti with Africo, Ardore, Badolato, Bianco, Bovalino, Brancaleone, Catanzaro, Catanzaro Lido, Caulonia, Davoli, Guardavalle, Isca sull'Ionio, Lamezia Terme, Locri, Marina di Gioiosa Ionica, Monasterace, Montepaone, Polistena, Riace, Roccella Jonica, Rosarno, Sant'Andrea Apostolo dello Jonio, Santa Caterina, Siderno, Soverato, Squillace, Taurianova and Vibo Valentia; not all connections are daily.


Getting around

In the historic center it is advisable to get around on foot.

By public transport
Urban public transport is managed by ASP. There are 7 bus lines and they reach the different parts of the city and the hamlets. The service starts at 6.30 and ends at 20.30, following the winter timetable and the summer timetable. The one-way ticket costs €1 and lasts 1 hour. It is possible to purchase a carnet of 10 tickets for €8. It is also possible to purchase a daily Park & Ride voucher for €5 which allows parking in paid areas for the whole day and gives a daily bus ticket. For timetables and lines, refer to the ASP website. There is a network of suburban buses that connects the city to the towns of the province. The departure is from Piazza Medaglie d'Oro, near the railway station.

By taxi
Taxis can be found outside the train station, in Piazza Guglielmo Marconi 8, and can be booked by calling +39 0141 592722.



Ancient Romans in 129 BC e. founded the military camp Colonia on the site of the Ligurian settlement, designed to guard the road from Rome to Gaul, which later became a city called Hasta Pompeia, since, according to legend, the commander Pompey the Great (106-48 BC) stuck in place its bases are its spear.

During the Great Migration of Peoples, the city more than once took the first blow of the barbarians rushing into Italy. The Lombards, who captured Northern Italy in 568, divided it into 36 "counties", one of which made Asti the capital.

Under the Carolingians, power in the district passed into the hands of local bishops. The XI century was marked by an armed confrontation between Bishop Otto and Countess Adelaide of Susa. In February 1155, the city, which joined the Lombard League, was burned by its worst enemy - Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. Since then, the inhabitants of Asti, who ruled the city on their own, skillfully balanced between the emperor, the pope and the Genoese.

In the XIII century, the city entered into a struggle with Milan, Alba, Alessandria, the Savoy dynasty and the margraves of Montferrat and Saluzzo for the commercial primacy in Piedmont. In the middle of the century, Alba fell into political dependence on Asti, and Turin and Chieri into commercial dependence. Charles of Anjou took the side of the Duke of Savoy against the inhabitants of Asti.

This era also saw the emergence of the custom of annually holding a palio - horse racing festival in the city, first mentioned in 1275 by the local chronicler Guglielmo Ventura.

The struggle for independence exacerbated the contradictions between the "best citizens", and in 1314 Solaro's bankers handed the city over to the Neapolitan crown. In 1339-1342, the republic was briefly restored, after which the inhabitants of Asti succumbed to the hands of the Milanese Visconti. Later, John II Palaeologus (Margrave of Montferrat) and Louis of Orleans, to whom, along with the hand of Valentina Visconti, Asti departed, also claimed their rights to Asti.

Until the Italian Wars, the city remained a French enclave in Italy. According to the Peace of Cambrai (1530), the French crown ceded the rights to Asti to Emperor Charles V, who transferred it under the control of his commander Charles de Lannoy. After the death of the latter, the emperor appointed Asti a dowry for Beatrice of Portugal on the occasion of her marriage to Charles of Savoy. Since then, Asti became the possession of the Savoy dynasty.