Montalto Dora


Montalto Dora (Montàut in Piedmontese) is an Italian town of 3,401 inhabitants in the metropolitan city of Turin, in Piedmont. In Roman times a Roman consular road built by Augustus passed the Via delle Gallie to connect the Po Valley with Gaul.


Monuments and places of interest

The castle
The castle of Montalto Dora, which stands at an altitude of 405 meters on Mount Crovero in Montalto Dora, dates back to the mid-twelfth century; over the centuries it has undergone numerous destructions, rebuildings and renovations, until it assumed, in 1890, with the restoration designed by Alfredo d'Andrade, the appearance it has roughly preserved until today.
Today privately owned, the castle is an integral part of the Roman village on which it stands and has an irregular square plan with a double wall. A high tower dominates the internal part around the keep, the annexed chapel, the rooms that can be partially visited and the guard walkway. In ancient times it functioned as a fortress to guard the Ivrea lake plain and the road leading to Valle d'Aosta.
The castle was used by the director Dario Argento for the shooting of the Dracula 3D movie.

The parish church of Sant'Eusebio
From the year 1242 Montalto was a parish under this title. In 1812 the parish church of Sant'Eusebio was restructured and embellished during the construction of the Napoleonic road to Aosta. Inside the church there are paintings by Visetti di Montanaro and the tomb of the Vallesa.

The Casana villa
The villa was built by Baron Valesa who had received as a gift in 1589, from Duke Vittorio Amedeo I, the fiefdom of Montalto Dora as a reward for his services as governor during the siege of Turin. The palace was initially a very modest residence castle with little garden. Around 1818, Count Alessandro, major general of the armed Regie and minister of state, with the help of the architect Giuseppe Maria Talucchi, transformed that residence into a large and grandiose palace.

The church of San Rocco
Built between the end of the fifteenth and the beginning of the sixteenth century, the church finds its own historical and artistic interest by virtue of the cycle of frescoes that almost entirely covers the internal walls

The Pistono and Nero lakes
In the municipal area there are two small lakes created in the Pleistocene by the ancient glacier that ran through the Dora valley, the Nero lake (299 m aboce sea level, north of the town) and the Pistono lake (280 m a.s.l., east).

The airfield
In the municipal area, parallel to the river, there is an airfield surveyed and reported in the international aeronautical cartography. Due to its position it is an important aeronautical point of interest for those who enter or leave the Aosta Valley in flight. The track has a grass surface, a length of 620 meters and a width of 30 meters, with an orientation of 14-32.


Getting here

By plane
The city is 54 km from Cuneo International Airport, which is connected to the city by aerobus; domestic and international flights depart from this airport.

Domestic flights: Alghero, Cagliari, Trapani.
International flights: Bacău, Bucharest-Otopeni, Casablanca, Međugorje (Mostar), Palma de Mallorca, Rhodes, Tirana.

By car
The city of Neive can be reached via the A33 Cuneo-Asti motorway and the A6 Turin-Savona motorway.

On the train
The closest station is Alba, from where there are bus connections to Neive. The Neive station, located on the Alba - Castagnole line, has not been in service since 2014.

By bus
Neive is connected with other localities through the Bus Company.



There are four types of wine that are produced on the Neivesi hills: Barbera and Dolcetto d'Alba, Barbaresco and Moscato d'Asti.


Physical geography

The municipality of Neive occupies an area of 21.3 km² in the north-eastern sector of the province of Cuneo, on the border with the province of Asti, and is immersed in the wine-growing landscape of the Langhe. The capital Neive rises at 308 m a.s.l.

It is 10 km from Alba (the main town of reference), about 79 km from Cuneo and 27 km from Asti.



It seems to owe its name to the gens Naevia, a noble Roman family of which it was a possession: around 100 BC. it was already a significant Roman settlement, crossed by the via Aemilia Scauri, so called from the name of its builder, the consul Emilio di Scauro.

In the Middle Ages a fortified castle was erected there (destroyed in 1274) and in Borgonuovo the monastery of Santa Maria del Piano was built in the 10th century by Benedictine monks, it depended on the abbey of Santa Croce in Mortara; of the ancient monastic building which fell into ruin starting from the 17th century, today only the Romanesque bell tower and the adjacent sacristy, transformed into a chapel, remain.

The Neivese feud, between the 11th and 13th centuries, was divided between some local lords, in particular the De Revellos. Long disputed, in the communal age, between Asti and Alba; in 1242, however, it was Asti that secured its definitive possession and permanently included it in its territorial structure, of which it followed all the historical events and passages to the various lordships. At the end of the 14th century, Luigi di Valois, duke of Orléans and lord of Asti included Neive in the Captaincy of Astesana, an administrative division of strategically important municipalities placed to defend the County of Aste. On this occasion the village was completely surrounded by good and solid walls. At the beginning of the 16th century, in the context of the conflicts between Francis I and Charles V, it alternately passed under the dominion of France and Spain.

In 1531 Neive, together with the whole County of Asti was annexed by Charles III to the Duchy of Savoy. After a new parenthesis of French domination, in 1560 it returned permanently to the Savoy with Duke Emanuele Filiberto. Only towards the middle of the 17th century, following a general reform of the provinces of the Duchy, Neive was separated from that of Asti and assigned to that of Alba which had just been established. Following the Napoleonic campaign in Italy and the establishment of the Cisalpine Republic, in 1800 it obtained the recognition of "Municipality". He returned to the Savoy in 1814 and followed the historical events of the family until the establishment of the Italian Republic.



The coat of arms was recognized by decree of the head of government of July 14, 1936. It can be blazoned:

«Red, to the trofogliate cross, set aside by four similar crosses, all of silver. Commune exterior ornaments.

The gonfalon is a white cloth.



The roads leading to Neive cross the typical landscape of the Langhe, made up of white hills planted with vines: we are in an area where great wines are produced. Neive is in fact also a destination for visits to its wineries, often housed in stately homes, such as the eighteenth-century Palazzo dei Conti of Castelborgo.

There are four types of wines that are produced on the Neivesi hills:
Barbera d'Alba;
Dolcetto d'Alba;
Moscato d'Asti.



It has been included in the club of the most beautiful villages in Italy, it also boasts the orange flag of tourist-environmental quality awarded by the Italian Touring Club.

Infrastructure and transport
The municipality can be easily reached thanks to the Castagnito tollbooth on the A33 motorway, only a few kilometers away.



La società di calcio Ivrea Montalto milita nel campionato di Terza Categoria. Il campo ha sede presso la zona delle regioni Ghiare e ha una capienza di 2100 posti. La società vanta un discreto settore giovanile a level regional.

La squadra di basket cittadina, Pallacanestro Montalto Dora, gioca nel campionato di Serie D.

La squadra di volley femminile, A.S.D. Pallavolo Montalto Dora, Milita nel Campionato di Serie C.