Moncalieri (Moncalé in Piedmontese, Mons Calerius or Mons Calerii in Latin) is an Italian town of 57 465 inhabitants in the metropolitan city of Turin in Piedmont, conurbed in the metropolitan area of Turin. It is the first municipality of the metropolitan city by population after Turin. It is considered a town of historical and cultural interest, both for the presence of the Savoy Castle and for the ancient name of "City of Proclamation" from the name of the famous document that was an episode of the Italian Risorgimento.


How to orient yourself

The historic center of Moncalieri develops around Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, located a few tens of meters south of the Royal Castle, and located on a hill about 50 meters above the rest of the city. The square, the most important in Moncalieri, is overlooked by the churches of S.ta Maria della Scala and San Francesco, the town hall and numerous medieval buildings. A short distance from the square is the Real Collegio Carlo Alberto.

The street that connects the station to the square is called Via S. Martino and, together with Via Alfieri and Via Real Collegio, it represents one of the three axes that cross the centre.

The historic center is bordered to the south by Piazzale Caduti per la Libertà and Via Cristoforo Colombo, here is the church of S. Egidio, founded by the Templars in the 13th century. To the west, the historic center is bordered by Via Torino, to the north by Viale del Castello and to the east by Viale Rimembranza.

Other neighborhoods
Borgo Navile located at the foot of the historic center is the railway station
Borgo San Pietro located beyond the Sangone river borders directly with the city of Turin. It will be connected to the center of Turin by line 1 of the Turin underground at the end of the extension works, currently underway.

The territory of the Municipality of Moncalieri is very extensive and includes several hamlets. Among the most important we mention:

Testona where the Romanesque church of Santa Maria is located, built at the beginning of the 11th century, with a crypt, bell tower and side elevations in pure Romanesque style.
Revigliasco where a castle built in the eighteenth century stands


Monuments and places of interest

Castle of Moncalieri
It is the best-known building in Moncalieri, standing out halfway up the hill, which has always been used as a Savoy residence, starting as early as the 12th century, embellished and reinforced several times at the behest of the Savoys over the centuries, the most important from 1710 to 1775 around, by Benedetto Alfieri, Francesco Martinez, Baijs, Mosso and Revelli; here, an important page of the Italian Risorgimento was written, with the signing of the Proclama, an event also represented on the Porta Navina. Today, inside, there is the Carabinieri Alfredo Serranti barracks. In the night between 4 and 5 April 2008, a fire engulfed the southeast tower of the Castle, losing most of the original furnishings; five rooms destroyed, including fire and water used for extinguishing. The original of the Moncalieri Proclamation of 1849 was saved, being kept in the State Archives. The destroyed wing was rebuilt in 2010-2011.

Most of Moncalieri's sites of historical and cultural interest are concentrated in the ancient village, perched halfway up the hill and developed around the central and pedestrian square Vittorio Emanuele II (formerly Piazza Maggiore). The square offers the northern access to the Palazzo Comunale, the work of the architect Enrico Mottura in 1888, built on the already existing building of 1778, property of the Duc - or Ducco nobles from Asti, designed by Pietro Mosso d'Andorno, when it was also placed in front the current statue, called Saturnius and depicting the pagan god Neptune, placed on the ancient public well. About twenty years later (1778), the historian Carlo Tenivelli from Moncalieri was executed right here.

The Piazzetta also houses other elegant porticoes of the noble palaces of the Duc, Grana, Vassallo da Dogliani and Provana families, giving it a suggestive medieval appearance.

Collegiate church of S. Maria della Scala
Located north-east of the Piazzetta Vittorio Emanuele II, next to the Palazzo Comunale, the façade was built in the Gothic style at the beginning of the 14th century and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Since 1458 it has kept the remains of the patron, the blessed Bernard of Baden Baden. The church was then remodeled in the 19th century, with the addition of the rose window and the balustrade. There are numerous works inside, such as the terracotta statue group of the Lamentation over the dead Christ, the choir stalls (G. Riva, 1749), the Life of the Virgin (Milocco), the Assumption (Beaumont and Molinari, 1766), Madonna with child and saints (Moncalvo, 1615), then a precious statue of Princess Clotilde of Savoy in prayer, who died here in 1911 (by Pietro Canonica, 1912).

In the 20th century, the Collegiata also included the Church of Sant'Egidio, located further downstream towards Borgo Navile, in Via Colombo at the corner with via Aporti, from the Baroque period (of which the original bell tower remains) and remodeled in the 18th century, dedicated to the patron precedent of Moncalieri, Sant'Egidio abbot.

Church of San Francesco
On the opposite side of Santa Maria della Scala, on the south-eastern side of the Piazzetta Vittorio Emanuele II, stands the austere facade of the Church of San Francesco, the work of Filippo Castelli, from the Juvarrian school of 1787, in late Baroque and covered in terracotta . Inside it contains paintings by the Moncalieri painter Tommaso Juglaris and a Deposition by Domenico Molinati. The current church replaces the previous Gothic one, in serious decay and demolished in the 18th century, whose architecture is remembered with the pointed shape of the bell tower behind it, which stands at a height of 50 metres.

Royal Charles Albert College
The eastern back of the aforementioned Church of San Francesco connects, with an arched overpass, above the very narrow via del Real Collegio, which in turn gives access to the homonymous educational structure commissioned by King Carlo Alberto of Savoy in 1840, and managed by the clerics barnabites. The original structure was a convent of the Capuchin friars from the 12th century, later enlarged at the beginning of the 18th century. However, the major interventions of the current structure were completed only in 1858, by Pio Domenico Taccone, with the expansion up to Via Colombo. In addition to the historic meteorological observatory already mentioned, the building now houses the historic library, a natural history museum, an archaeological collection (which is largely due to Fr. Luigi Bruzza), a collection of scientific instruments, an art gallery and post-graduate teaching areas of economics.

Church of Jesus
It is still located on via del Real Collegio, at the corner with via Carlo Alberto. The full name is "Confraternity of the Holy Name of Jesus", built in 1619, in Baroque style. The facade has two empty niches, formerly housed by the statues of San Rocco and San Silvestro, which later fell into ruin. Inside, paintings and frescoes by Milocco, Bianchi and Beaumont.

Porta Navina (or Arch of Borgo Navile)
It is the most important historical monument of Moncalieri after the Castle. In ancient times, this entrance was called Navina or Navile since boats departed from here to cross the Po. From the small port, one entered the rudimentary medieval gate (originally called Mediolanensis), which led to the western side of the ancient village. The other access gates, which do not exist today, were called Rivigliasca (towards the hill), Taurinensis (now Borgo San Pietro) and Piacentina (Santa Croce). The first arched structure of Porta Navina dates back to the 16th century, then remodeled several times, up to the Baroque interventions carried out by architects of the Castellamont school, which took place in 1619, on the occasion of the wedding of Vittorio Amedeo I of Savoy with Madame Cristina of France. The Gate was further modified and enriched throughout the 19th century. The bronze bas-relief of Amateis (1882), which represents King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoy delivering the Proclamation to Massimo d'Azeglio, is valuable.

Other churches and historic buildings
Carmelo San Giuseppe, a convent built in 1703 by the Blessed Maria degli Angeli Fontanella, wife of a descendant of the Tanas, cousins of San Luigi Gonzaga (1591). In fact, both the church and the convent are still managed by the barefoot Carmelite nuns.
Santa Croce, a church that you meet coming from Borgata Testona going up the viale di Porta Piacentina, a building dating back to the 16th century managed by the Cavalieri Gerosolimitani, who gave their name to the Confraternity of Santa Croce and therefore the name of this area, where the hospital of the same name in the 20th century.
Santissima Trinità, which rises in the decentralized Borgata Palera, located much further south (a name that meant a long palisade built to defend against the flooding of the Po). The church was designed by Don Giuseppe Canonica, a surveyor who, at the beginning of the 20th century, asked for the intervention of the well-known architect Giuseppe Gallo, to create the current splendid neo-Gothic façade.
Santa Maria di Borgata Testona, of very ancient origin, commissioned in 1030 by Bishop Landolfo, in Romanesque style, is linked to Cavour. Not far away is the Castelvecchio, a fortress built in the same period, then reinforced in the 15th century, with clear medieval features.
Castello di Revigliasco, an ancient hilltop hamlet independent of Moncalieri until 1928, dates back to the 11th century and was remodeled several times, located in via Beria, the name of the last Counts who owned the structure until 1950. The Church of San Martino is annexed to it in Florentine Baroque style and dating back to 1620.
Castello de La Rotta, in the locality of the same name, under the southern hamlet of Tetti Sapini, or almost on the border with Villastellone, important not so much for its architectural value, as for the historical legends on the alleged presence of ghosts.
Abbey of Santa Maria di Carpice ex-monastic building located in strada Carpice, 10.

The villas:
The Moncalieri hilly area, thanks to the southern exposure and the climate favorable to the cultivation of vineyards above all, was an important holiday resort for the Piedmontese nobility and upper middle class since the seventeenth century when the old farmhouses became real estates with adjoining villas of important historical and artistic value.

villa Barolo Silvio Pellico: illustrious villa built by the Falletti di Barolo family in typical Piedmontese Baroque. It is famous for hosting the poet Silvio Pellico and for having a magnificent garden designed by the architect Russel Page. Becoming the property of the Nasi family, it passed to the Ajmone Marsan until it was sold
villa Major: imposing villa on the Moncalieri hills. The villa is now annexed to a religious building built in the sixties
villa Treves-Cravotto known as "la Majolica" is an elegant villa built by the Rossetti family, owners of the Turin Majolica factory. It was designed and built in the 18th century by Count Carlo Giacinto di Guarene in the Baroque style with a clear Juvarrian influence. Sold to the Ceppi family, it then passed to the Dumontels and Sambuys until it was bought by the Treves bankers in 1930
villa Mirafiori: the villa was donated by Vittorio Emanuele II to his famous lover Rosa Vercellana known as Bela Rosin, who later became Countess of Mirafiori and Fontanafredda. The villa was strategic for the sovereign because the Castle of Moncalieri was attached to his residence and therefore easy to reach. A legend also says that in order not to be seen by the Queen and the court, Rosa passed through a passage still visible today that separates Villa Treves from Villa Mirafiori.


Getting here

By plane
The nearest airport is Turin.

By car
The city is served by the Turin South Ring Road through three junctions:
SS20 - The Loggia
South Turin - Corso Unità d'Italia - Lingotto Fiere - Moncalieri
A6 Turin-Savona motorway

On the train
Moncalieri is served by two railway stations:
the Moncalieri station (located near the historic centre), located on the section common to the Turin-Genoa and Turin-Savona railway lines, served by the SFM1, SFM4, SFM6 and SFM7 lines of the Turin metropolitan railway system;
the Moncalieri Sangone station, located on the Turin-Pinerolo line, served by the SFM2 line of the Turin metropolitan railway system.
The journey time from Turin is approximately 10 minutes from the Turin Porta Nuova and Turin Porta Susa stations and 4 minutes from the Turin Lingotto station.

By bus
Troiolo Bus, Corso Garibaldi, 185 - Siderno, ☎ +39 0964 381325, fax: +39 0964 381325, The company allows the direct connection of Moncalieri with Africo, Ardore, Badolato, Bianco, Bovalino, Brancaleone, Catanzaro, Catanzaro Lido, Caulonia, Davoli, Guardavalle, Isca sull'Ionio, Lamezia Terme, Locri, Marina di Gioiosa Ionica, Monasterace, Montepaone, Polistena, Riace, Roccella Jonica, Rosarno, Sant'Andrea Apostolo dello Jonio, Santa Caterina, Siderno, Soverato, Squillace, Taurianova and Vibo Valentia; not all connections are daily.


Getting around

Once in Moncalieri, given the small size of the historic centre, it is advisable to get around on foot.


Physical geography

The municipality embraces a vast territory located south-east of Turin, tracing, for certain geographical aspects, that of the capital. In fact, it is distinguished by both a hilly part and a flat and fluvial part, the latter crossed by the river Po in its central and southern part. The territory is therefore essentially divided into three parts:

a medium-high hilly area, rich in woods and vegetation, whose highest point (716 m asl) laps the "Faro della Vittoria", located in the Parco della Rimembranza, on the Maddalena hill, and also includes the underlying detached hamlet of Revigliasco.
a medium-low hilly area, including the center (or ancient village), the area of ​​the Santa Croce hospital and the area of ​​the Royal Castle located, in fact, halfway up the hill.
a fluvial-flat area, constituted to the north by a right-hand hydrographic stretch of the river Po (the lowest point, 220 m asl), or the southern stretch of the Parco del Po Torinese-Corso Moncalieri, plus a hydrographic left stretch river, or Corso Trieste-Equipped Area "Le Vallere" of the Po Torinese Park, where the Sangone stream flows into the Po river (border with Turin). Another river area extends even further south, in the area known as Molinello, where in the Freylia-Mezzi region the Chisola stream flows into the Po. Also to the south, compared to the ancient village, in a flat area, there are numerous other areas branches of Moncalieri: among the most important, Borgo Mercato, Borgata Testona, Borgo San Pietro, Santa Maria, Pecenasco, Barauda, ​​Tagliaferro, Moriondo and the industrial-commercial area towards Trofarello (areas of the Rossi, Marsé, Ceresole, Pecenasco, Via Postillion).
The town is crossed by the 45th parallel, the equidistant line between the North Pole and the Equator.


Climate and meteorological observatory

Moncalieri follows the climate of Turin, typically temperate with a sub-continental character. A separate mention deserves the historic meteorological observatory of the tower of the Real Carlo Alberto college, located in the ancient village. It was established in 1859 by Father Francesco Denza, an illustrious meteorologist. In decay after the Second World War, it was renovated in the nineties thanks to the contribution of the Italian meteorologist Luca Mercalli with the help of the Compagnia di San Paolo, and still provides important meteorological data on the metropolitan city of Turin.

It also preserves some historical artifacts, such as the historical series of temperatures, recorded since 1859, many meteorological and astronomical instruments of the past, including a Campbell-Stokes heliophanograph, a Hicks barometer, a Richard thermograph. It has recently been equipped with a webcam, which looks towards the Alps, a modern anemometer and an incident solar radiation detector. Since October 2008, the old manual rain gauge has also been replaced with an electronic rain gauge. Also noteworthy is the historical library inside the study where there are books on atmospheric physics and meteorological bulletins dating back to the nineteenth century, written in French, German, English and Italian.


Origins of the name

There are many hypotheses on the origin of the city's name, the most probable leading back to its Latin name, Calierus, or "quail", from which popular tradition then leads it back to the Piedmontese mon dle quaje, or "mountain of quail", also if it is more probable that, rather than birds, it refers to the name of predials, the ancestors of the current surnames Cagliero or Quaglia, but also of the ancient Roman families De Caleris, Scaleri or Scaleris. Another opinion believes that it derives from Monte dei Cavalieri, as the ancient bridge over the Po was first owned by the Knights Templar and later by Gerosomiliani. Still other hypotheses would bring the name back to the Piedmontese expression monta e cala (up and down), due to the irregular hilly profile of the place.



Four bridges over the Po
The first bridge over the Po, dating back to the High Middle Ages, was built in stone, with six arches and seven pillars, the first documents of which date back to the 11th century, left in the custody of the order of the Knights Templar, from which the its name Bridges of the Knights. The latter, in the fourteenth century, ceded it to the Knights of Jerusalem, who had to rebuild it due to two floods, those of 1425 and 1454. Its main function was to connect the road coming from Genoa with that of France, without necessarily having to enter in the center of Turin. Other reconstructions of the bridge, due to the various floods and changes to the river bed, followed the following centuries, in particular that of the year 1700, when it was lengthened almost to Porta Navina (Borgo Navile area, south of the old town ). Due to subsequent floods, the bridge was entirely rebuilt in masonry in 1880; a few decades earlier, a second bridge was built further south, to allow the passage of the Turin-Genoa railway (1853).
However, other floods partially ruined both the railway bridge and almost totally that of the Templars, which collapsed disastrously, causing nine victims, on May 31, 1939.

In-depth analyzes of the river bed led to the construction of a new, safer road bridge, i.e. the current one, with only five large arches, slightly further south, thus connecting the current Corso Trieste. Despite the ongoing war, work on the new bridge had to proceed rapidly (1940-1941) in order to facilitate supplies to the city. For the railway bridge however, also unsafe, the end of the war was expected, temporarily replaced by a wooden bridge in 1943-1946, pending the reconstruction of the current one (1948). To allow a quick connection to the motorways, a fourth viaduct and more recent bridge (1957-1972) was therefore built further south, and which passes both over the Borgo Mercato area and over the river itself.

old village
Always a strategic position for the southern access to Turin, the first village dates back to 1228, founded by a group of inhabitants of the oldest Testona, the current Moncalierese fraction, who sought shelter in the highest part of the territory, to escape the onslaught of the I wondered. In fact, Count Tommaso I of Savoy had just had a primitive fortress built, laying the foundations for what, in the 15th century, would become the future castle, located halfway up the hill. The historic village developed rapidly towards the beginning of the 14th century.

In 1458, traveling to Germany, Bernard of Baden Baden died here of the plague, a German prince who, following some miracles, was beatified and became the patron saint of the city
Until the 16th century Moncalieri controlled a vast territory, including the current Turin districts of Lingotto-Nizza-Millefonti, then the current municipalities of Nichelino (up to Stupinigi) and La Loggia. Moncalieri also housed many religious orders, including the Templars, the friars of the Carmelite Order and the Capuchin friars, as well as the minor friars of San Francesco, the humiliated of San Giacomo and the canons of Santa Maria della Scala. Likewise, the Castle acquired political prestige, as the first residence of the Duchess Jolanda (wife of Amedeo IX of Savoy) who, in 1475, signed a political treaty here with Charles I of Burgundy, known as "the Bold" and Galeazzo Sforza.
In the following years, the city experienced a remarkable development thanks to the easy access to the Po, of which it controlled the strategic bridge, and to the easy defensible, as it was placed on the hill. In particular, Moncalieri proved to be strategic against the offensives of the nearby County of Asti, which lasted at least until the beginning of the 16th century. Protected by the Savoys, thanks to the Castle, during the 17th century Moncalieri boasted the title of city. Carlo Emanuele I, on the occasion of the wedding of his son Vittorio Amedeo I (1619), decided Moncalieri as the wedding venue. The castle of Moncalieri hosted various members of the royal house throughout the summer period, one for all the duke Vittorio Amedeo II, who died there in 1732. Important episodes of the Italian Risorgimento also took place in the city, such as, for example, the traditional education of the royal offspring through the establishment of the Royal College Carlo Alberto, and the enunciation of the famous Proclamation, divided into a first proclamation of July 3, 1849, in which the King dissolves the Royal Chamber of Deputies, and a second, more important proclamation , of 20 November 1849, together with the then councilor Massimo d'Azeglio, for whom the government was reconstituted.

Recent years
Over the last three centuries or so, Moncalieri had some success in the Piedmontese beef butchery market, establishing the traditional fat ox fair, and a boarium forum in the current area under the motorway viaduct. However, the livestock market was closed in the early nineties, but the area continued to be called "Piazza Mercato del Bestiame" or more simply "Borgo Mercato".
Likewise, starting from the 19th century, various industries developed, such as the historic Limone foundry, particularly in the sectors of car prototyping, industrial design, publishing and graphics. This development was accompanied by sericulture and textiles, as well as keeping alive the horticulture of the typical Moncalieri specialties of pyramid-cabbage and chrysanthemum-cabbage. Throughout the 20th century, the whole territory of Moncalieri was enriched with several residential areas, especially in the high hills, near the renowned hamlet of Revigliasco.
With the economic crisis of the early 21st century, the historic Moncalieri factories were partially abandoned. In this regard, in addition to the area along the Carignano road, the detached industrial-commercial area of via Postiglione, located further south, on the border with Trofarello, is still economically active.



in October we remember the Fera dij subjet, the festival of whistles, established in 1286 by Amedeo V of Savoy for his people, who had to acclaim him through whistles. During the Middle Ages the temporary exemption from gabelles during the celebrations was even regularized, including the ancient toll for crossing the Po bridge
every first Sunday of the month, in the ancient village and Navile, there is an open-air antiques market
in recent years, always in the ancient village, various fairs and open-air musical events take place, one for all the Jazz Festival in November

Antonio Arduino Civic Library, leader of the SBAM project (interlibrary system for the metropolitan area), with the aim of creating exchange relationships between the libraries of the Turin metropolitan area to create a single large library. Founded in 1914 by the teacher Erminia Arduino and since 1995 located in the former SAFFA match factory, today it has a heritage of 14,300 volumes and brochures.
Civic Library of Revigliasco Torinese
Library of the Real Collegio Carlo Alberto, founded in 1840.
"Victor Del Litto" European Cultural Library of history of comparative civilization and travel culture, founded in 1979.

C.I.R.V.I. (Interuniversity Research Center on Travel in Italy)

In the area there are numerous kindergartens, private institutes and lower secondary schools such as "Pirandello, Canonica, Costa". At the Pirandello middle school there has been a CTP (Permanent Territorial Center for Adult Education and Training) for years. There are also three public high schools: the "Pininfarina" Industrial Technical Institute, the "Majorana" Scientific High School, the "Marro" Commercial Institute. In 2003 Marro and Majorana joined the I.I.S. Majorana. We should also mention the important role played by UNITRE, the University of the Third Age.

Museo dij Subièt, which collects about 1500 whistles
Piedmontese Museum of Information Technology
Teatro Matteotti, managed by the municipality
Teatro Fonderie Limone, managed by the Teatro Stabile of Turin



Moncalieri is mentioned in the song The FIAT worker «la 1100» by the Calabrian singer-songwriter Rino Gaetano, contained in his first album Free admission of 1974
The city is also the subject of the Turin folk song "Spunta il sol" (also known as "La luna 'd Moncalè")
In Strada Santa Brigida, at the crossroads of three roads, there is an erratic boulder called "Roc di Santa Brigida" which popular belief holds to be a fertility stone for women who are unable to have children: a tourist plaque on the spot explains the origin of the legend
An old popular saying reads: "From Turin to Muncalè la ligera la và a pè" (From Turin to Moncalieri the vagabond goes on foot) to indicate the proximity of the city to the Piedmontese capital



In Moncalieri there are two power plants managed by IREN Energia: one hydroelectric and the other thermoelectric, the latter equipped with a cogeneration plant which, in addition to producing electricity, supplies heat to the district heating network of the Turin metropolitan area.

The city continues its industrial vocation, particularly in the sectors of car prototyping, industrial design, publishing and graphics. In fact, the presence of Italdesign should be remembered, where an internationally renowned car "designer", Giorgetto Giugiaro, works. It also keeps floriculture and horticulture thriving: pyramid-shaped cabbage and chrysanthemum are still local specialties today.

Furthermore, the culinary art recognizes in Moncalieri the excellence of the bovine tripe, for which a brotherhood was born. It can be tasted in November, when it is cooked in large quantities in the central square of the city, on the occasion of the Fera dij Subiet (Whistle Fair).



The sport that most satisfies the people of Moncalieri is basketball. Pallacanestro Moncalieri, active in the area since 1973, merged with Libertas San Mauro in 2009, giving life to Pallacanestro Moncalieri San Mauro abbreviated to PMS Basketball. To highlight the new company, the home games moved to the PalaRuffini in Turin, also changing the name two years later to PMS Turin, while the PMS Basketball youth teams and the PMS women's team continued to carry out their activities in Moncalieri , Libertas Moncalieri.

In 2012 the PalaEinaudi was inaugurated in via Einaudi 44, the result of the expansion of the existing structure.

Since 2014, the Pallacanestro Torino women's team acquired by the PMS and militant in the first national category has also played at the PalaEinaudi.

The main football team of the city is the A.S.D. Moncalieri Calcio which experienced a good period in the recent past arriving in Serie C2 in the 2000/2001 season. So much so that the historic sports facility located in the hamlet of Testona seemed to no longer be adequate for the needs of an already important series, which is why it underwent a series of redevelopment interventions. He currently plays in the 2nd category Piedmontese and Valle d'Aosta group G.

The other football club in the city is A.P.D. Filadelfia Moncalieri Calcio which plays in group I of the 2nd category. In 2017 another football team, the Sporting Club San Pietro, was founded and currently plays in the first Piedmontese category. As far as women's football is concerned, there is the A.S.D. Filadelfia Moncalieri Calcio Feminine which plays in the Serie D championship and has red and yellow as its social colors.