Savigliano (Savian or Savijan in Piedmontese; Savilianum in Latin) is an Italian town of 21665 inhabitants in the province of Cuneo in Piedmont. Savigliano is located 50 km south of Turin and 35 km north of Cuneo. The built-up area is between the Maira streams to the west and Mellea to the east.



The artistic testimonies of its historic center and its territory are the consequence of a past rich in history: at first inhabited by Celtic-Ligurian populations, it was then subdued by the ancient Romans, whose domination left, in addition to archaeological finds and epigraphs, traces in the toponym "Salvianum" from which the name Savigliano is derived.

Mentioned as "villa Saviliani" in an imperial placet of 981, it was later a free municipality; in the civic coat of arms he adopted the red cross on a silver field and the motto "Fidelis Deo et hominibus".

Due to its geographical position it was particularly exposed to disputes with the Marquisate of Saluzzo.

It followed, from 1349, the ups and downs of the House of Savoy, with long periods of French domination.

An important military stronghold, it experienced, at the end of the 16th century and during the following century, a period of true territorial supremacy, which corresponded to the flowering of the arts, documented, in particular, by the painting of the Saviglianese school, which imposed itself throughout the province.

The local nobility, having risen to authoritative functions at court, restored palaces in the city and villas in the countryside, in late mannerist or baroque forms, while convents and monasteries competed to modernize churches and clauses.

In the 16th and 17th centuries it was the provincial capital.

With the demolition of the fortified walls - which took place at the beginning of the eighteenth century - Savigliano lost its function as a military stronghold and also the position of prestige it had occupied among the Piedmontese centers.

With the French occupation, which began in 1798, it was part of the Department of the Stura and was the seat of a sub-prefecture, a rank it maintained until 1814.

In the mid-nineteenth century, under the dominion of the Trossarellos (also called Trossarelli, on some occasions), the city found its own role as the seat of important textile and mechanical factories, to which the arrival of the railway (1853) offered new possibilities for traffic and connections.

After the Second World War, the administration of the city was of the Christian Democrats, until the disappearance of this party.


Monuments and places of interest

Religious architectures

St. John the Baptist (parish)
Santa Maria della Pieve (parish church)
Church of Sant'Andrea (parish), preserves the ancona of 1727 with the Martyrdom of St. Sebastian by Giovan Francesco Gaggini da Bissone; in the chapel of the Compagnia di San Giuseppe or degli Agonizzanti, the Transit of San Giuseppe, by Giovanni Antonio Mari
Church of San Pietro (parish)
Church of San Salvatore (parish)
San Filippo
Sanctuary of the Apparition, preserves the altarpiece depicting San Grato, a work of 1662 by Giovanni Battista Carlone
Medieval church of San Giuliano
Sanctuary of Health
Sanctuary of the Assumption (Savigliano), preserves eight oils on canvas by Giovan Francesco Gaggini
Church of the Madonnina della neve
Church of Santa Chiara: the frescoes on the vault are by Giovan Francesco Gaggini
Church of the Madonna della Consolata, "the first church, outside Turin, dedicated to the Madonna della Consolata"
Church of the Archconfraternity of the Risen Christ or of the Pietà (1708-1722), in Piedmontese Baroque style, completely frescoed with wooden statues of 1700, including the Risen Christ by Carlo Giuseppe Plura.


Civic towers

With a precedent, probably of the thirteenth century, the present tower, made of bricks, dates back to after 1303. In 1447 it regained ownership of the city, which added the top.

Among the "Open Castles" of Lower Piedmont:
Muratori-Cravetta Palace
Palazzo Taffini d'Acceglio, seat of the Savigliano savings bank
Miretti Palace
Palazzo del Maresco

The Milanollo Civic Theater, inaugurated in 1836 with Gaetano Donizetti's exile of Rome, is the main one in the city.

The area on which the Milanollo Theater stands was the seat of the ancient hospital or lazaretto, from 1579 to 1709. Following the move of the hospital to the new location, the space left free was occupied by a precarious theater hall in masonry and wood then redesigned in 1745.

In 1834 a society of citizens commissioned Maurizio Eula (1806-1883) to draw up a project for the construction of a new theater, whose opening was authorized in July of the same year by King Carlo Alberto.

The Eula project was carried out in the years 1834-1836 by the Lugano entrepreneur Poncini. The architectural structure of the theater is linked to the compositional canons of neoclassicism. The façade is sober: it is composed of a forepart, 2 side wings and ended by a cornice with an overhanging attic. In the niches, on the sides, there are statues of comedy and tragedy, while the genius of glory, which crowns music and poetry, dominates the front. Inside, the curtain opens on 2 tiers of boxes, beyond the gallery and gallery. The hall of the foyer is particularly spectacular, with the loggia of the musicians.


The paintings involved, among others, famous artists, active in the orbit of the great Pelagio Palagi, such as Pietro Ayres and Angelo Moia. The first created both the rose window and the curtain, representing Apollo and the 9 inspiring muses on Mount Parnassus (1835). The ornaments are elaborated, silvered and painted in mecca.

It has been owned by the municipality since 1864 and is dedicated to the Saviglianese violinists Teresa and Maria Milanollo.

In the following decades the theater was the subject of recurrent renovations directed by the municipal engineers Clodoveo Cordoni and Guido Jaffe.

In the second half of the twentieth century the building was declared uninhabitable and closed twice, from 1952 to 1972 and from 1884 to 1989.

Recently, new restoration works have been completed on the façade, the foyer and the performance hall, and the theater, once again restored to its original beauty, reopened its doors on November 28, 2011.

Piazza Santorre di Santarosa: the square and related buildings date back to the Middle Ages and is the oldest and most historic in the city, with the presence of covered arcades on four sides and many shops



Savigliano is located in the sub-continental temperate climate area, with average temperatures in the coldest month of -2 ° minimum and 5 ° maximum; in the hottest month of minimum 17 ° and maximum 27 °.

Precipitation is distributed throughout the year, with peaks in spring and autumn. The average rainfall over the last 30 years was 948 mm.

Summer is characterized by alternating periods of sultry heat and refreshing storms.

Winters can be lacking in precipitation, if the currents are arranged in such a way as to place the NW under the alpine rain shadow.

In the past, fog and snow were much more frequent and persistent.