Madona is a city in Vidzeme, the administrative center of Madona region. The 24th largest city in Latvia in terms of population. The name of Madona comes from the nearby Lake Madona or from the name of Biržai manor (German: Madohn, Modohn). Therefore, in 1903, the station of the narrow-gauge railway line Pļaviņas-Valka and the settlement, which began to form near the station, were named Madona.
The name of Madona comes from the nearby Lake Madona or from the name of Biržai manor (German: Madohn, Modohn). Therefore, in 1903, the station of the narrow-gauge railway line Pļaviņas-Valka and the settlement, which began to form near the station, were named Madona.
Madonna was first mentioned in writings in 1461, when
the Archbishop of Riga Silvestrs Stodevešers leased the land in the
Cesvaine Castle district. During the reduction of the Swedish
Vidzeme manors, it became the Swedish crown manor. Empress Elizabeth
of the Russian Empire presented Biržai manor to Count Alexander
Buturlin, and Empress Catherine II to Major General Maxim Zorich of
Madona started to develop as a populated center only after 1900, when the first wooden and stone buildings were built in the vicinity of Biržai manor Leivere pub. In 1903, the Pļaviņas-Valka narrow-gauge railway line was built through Madona. Madona was granted municipal rights on 1 July 1921 and city rights on 7 June 1926. Since April 1, 1925, Madonna has been the center of the newly established Madona district. In 1925, Madona had a population of 1,357.
In 1959 Madona had a population of 5,700, but in 1967 the population reached 7,200, an area of 10 km2.
The city of Madona is located in a hilly area, a slope runs through the city in a North West-South East direction. Several small rivers and streams flow through the city: Lisa, Leivārīte, Ridzīte, Mucenieki river, Rieba and Madona river, in the course of which you can see beautiful ravines - Love ravine, Marriage ravine, Divorce ravine. A park has been created in the love ravine, one of the tallest fountains in Latvia is located in the artificial reservoir of the river.
Madona Local History Museum (founded in 1944) is located in the
historical center of Biržai manor with more than 107,000 museum
units. A ravine of love on the banks of the river Madona, a dam with
a fountain has been created in the park. Madona Secondary School No.
2 building (1924-1926). Former hotel building (1901) at the
intersection of Poruka and Saules streets.
Lazdona Lutheran Church (1802—1805), Lazdona St. Trinity Orthodox Church (1863-1866), Madona Catholic Church (1931-1934).