Pavilosta is a port city in the west of Latvia at the mouth of the Saka River in the Baltic Sea, 240 km from Riga (180 km in a straight line), 54 km (40 km) north of Liepaja, 70 km (60 km) south of Ventspils and 80 nautical miles ( about 150 km) east of the island of Gotland. Pavilosta district center. Pāvilosta port is one of the smallest ports in Latvia.



Pāvilosta is located on the site of the ancient Curonian port of Piemare Saka, which was first mentioned in the agreement of April 4, 1253, concluded by the Bishop of Kurzeme Heinrich and the master of the Livonian Order. After that, it reached the territory of the diocese of Kurzeme, but from 1795 the port of Sackenhausen was in the territory of the province of Kurzeme.

On May 16, 1879, Otto Friedrich von Lilienfeld, the owner of the river manor, wanted to build a harbor, laid the foundation stone of the pilot house in a solemn ceremony at the mouth of the Saka River, and on the same day Paul von Lilienfeld, (Павел Лилиенфелд) on Paulshafen or Pāvilosta. O. Lilienfeld leased building plots in the territory of the next town, but his building plan was slowly implemented at first. Only ten houses were built in ten years. The port was used only by a few fishermen, three small sailors of the manor and a tugboat, which supplied the goods of Upesmuiža to the Liepāja market.

The development of Pāvilosta was given a new impetus by the commencement of the construction of the Liepāja War Port in 1893. The stones necessary for construction were transported from the Pāvilosta area to Liepāja by sea. The mouth of the Saka River was adapted for stone handling, and port builders, workers, loaders, sailors, carpenters and merchants came to Pāvilosta from near and far. When the stones were no longer transported, shipping, fishing, trade and shipbuilding had already developed in Pāvilosta.

Before the First World War, there were three shipyards in Pāvilosta, where small sailing ships were built - single-masted "firewood jacks", as well as two-masted gaffons for further voyages. During this time, 15 ships were built in Pāvilosta. After the war, shipbuilding was not resumed. During World War II, Pāvilosta's motorboats and ships were sunk, sold and confiscated. After the war, only 2 out of 26 motorboats and 4 out of 26 sailboats remained in Pāvilosta. The port trade slowed down. The main users of the port and the economic basis of the village became fishermen, whose catches were sold by the collectors and the fishermen's cooperative founded in 1930 in Aizpute, Skrunda and Saldus.

In 1940, at the beginning of the Soviet occupation, fishermen were forcibly united into an artel, which in 1947 was given the name "Amber Sea". 1944/1945. In the 1930s, with the proliferation of re - Soviet rule, several fishermen fled to Sweden in motorboats with their families and friends. Until 1949, when Artel bought the first fishing vessels, fishing in Pāvilosta was done by motorboats. In 1951, the artel became a fishing collective farm "Dzintarjūra", which in 1975 was added to the Liepāja fishing collective farm "Bolsheviks", becoming its Pāvilosta branch. At the end of the 1970s, during the heyday of the collective farm, there were about 20 fishing trawlers in Pāvilosta. In 1990, the fishermen's collective farm "Bolsheviks" was renamed the fishermen's collective farm "Kursa", whose Pāvilosta branch was separated in 1994, establishing a joint stock company "Pāvilosta". Most of the fishermen not related to the joint-stock company "Pāvilosta" are currently fishing again with motor boats.

In 2006, the yacht berth Pāvilosta Marina and a 128-meter-long fishing berth were built in the port. In 2010, the piers of Pāvilosta port were completely reconstructed, the historic lighthouses at the ends of the piers were restored and dredging works were carried out to a depth of 4.5 meters. Currently, the length of the North Pier is 287 meters, the South Pier - 297.5 meters. In 2011, the guest yacht berth was reconstructed on the right bank of the Saka River and a 90 m long multifunctional berth was built, which allows small passenger ferries to enter Pāvilosta port.