Ermak Travel Guide


The World at your fingertips 




Latvian National Theatre (Latvijas Nacionālais teātris) (Riga)

Latvian National Theatre in Riga




Kronvalda bulvāris 2  Map






Description of the Latvian National Theatre

The Latvian National Theater in Latvia, Latvijas Nacionālais teātris, is the national theater of Latvia, and is located in the city of Riga, the capital of the country. The building was built between 1899 and 1902 by the Latvian architect Augusts Reinbergs, becoming the second Russian theater of the capital. It was closed during the First World War. On November 18, 1918, the independence of Latvia was declared in this building, where a year before the first theatrical performances in Latvian had been carried out. As National Theater was formally founded on November 30, 1919, just one year after the country's independence. The first artistic program was carried out by Jānis Akurāters, a Latvian writer, head of the Latvian Ministry of Education department. The current director is Viesturs Rieksts and the artistic director is Edmunds Freibergs.








blog comments powered by Disqus