Līvu Laukums (Riga)

Livu Laukums Riga


Meistaru iela 19


Description of Līvu Square

Livu Laukums Riga

Līvu Laukums or Līvu Square is a popular destination for tourists. In summers it contains restaurants and beer gardens. In winter it gets a skating ring. A yellow house known as a Cat House (Meistaru iela 19) is one of the famous structures here. It seems quite unbelievable, but in the 16th century, at the place where the Livs Square is now, the river Riga, which was once sailing, was flooded along the "rye road" from the countryside. Later it was called the river Rīdzene, but, narrowing it, it was Rīdzinieku. On the other hand, nowadays countless soles of the Rigans and the guests of the city are sewed cobblestones on this site, but the flower beds made by the past show up.

Līvu Square is located between the Zirgu, Mistars and Kaļķu streets. It was "created" by the Second World War - buildings destroyed during that time were demolished thus clearing the area. In 1950, an area was set up on this site, which was dubbed the Philharmonic Square, bringing new sounds to the musical architecture ensemble. Since 1941, the Great Guild Hall was constructed at this place that was renamed into a Latvian Philharmonic Concert Hall, where music continues to sound till nowadays.

There is also the Small Guild building and the peculiar Cat House, the Riga Russian Drama Theater. In the summer, there is an outdoor cafe, but the waves created in the caverns of flowers hold the memory of the river, whose name continues to live in the name of Riga. In the winter, you can go skiing on the Līvu Square - then there is a skating rink running here. Moreover, this is the place Riga, which, like New York, never sleeps. The youthful life of Old Riga is always pulsating!


Līvu Laukums or Līvu Square was arranged in 1950 (project by P. Seletsky) after the demolition of the city buildings destroyed during the Second World War. Originally it was called "The Square at the Philharmonic", since the building of the Great Guild overlooking the square has occupied the concert hall of the Latvian Philharmonic since 1941.

In 1974, the Līvu Laukums or Līvu Square was reconstructed according to the project of K. Ya. Barons: paths were laid, recreation areas were equipped, a swimming pool with a fountain was arranged in the central part.

In summer, the decorative lawn and paving stones imitate the undulating surface of the Riga River that once flowed here (along the line of Meistaru - Kaleju Streets). In winter, a skating rink is poured on the square.

The Līvu Laukums or Līvu Square received its modern name on February 29, 2000. The Livs are now a small Baltic-Finnish nation who in ancient times inhabited a significant part of the territory of Latvia.