Salacgriva is a city in the north of Vidzeme, the center of Salacgriva district at the mouth of the river Salaca. Distance from Salacgriva to Riga - 103 km, to Limbazi - 50 km, to Valmiera - 95 km. Exports of wood, wood processing, food production and trade play an important role in the city's economy.
Salacgriva already existed as a settlement in the 5th
century, when the Liv settlement Saletsa was located at the mouth of
the Salaca. On the right bank of the Salaca, on the right bank of
the Salaca, several centuries later, the Archbishop of Riga, the
Salaca Castle, was built, which was first mentioned in 1391 in the
Lübeck Chronicle as Saltze. The castle was a frequent target of
attack during the Livonian War, but during the Great Northern War of
1702-1703. was blown up and not rebuilt. Around the castle mound you
can still see where the canal through which the ships sailed was.
The formation of Salacgriva goes hand in hand with the development of coastal shipping in the Gulf of Riga. In order to allow ships to enter the port instead of the existing barges, the Salaca bed was deepened and a pier was built of boulders at the mouth of the river. Salacgriva became an important transshipment site for the further transportation of North Vidzeme products - timber, flax and grain - to Pärnu and Riga. During the year, up to 200 ships entered the port, which contributed to the growth of the population, so at the end of the century there were more than 70 residential and 40 warehouse buildings. 20th century At the beginning of the 19th century, the flow of goods to Salacgrīva decreased due to the development of railway construction in Vidzeme, and most of the goods were transported to the newly built port of Ainaži, which was connected to the hinterland by rail. In the end, the people of Salacgrīva reoriented only to floating trees along Salaca and their further transportation.
After the proclamation of independence, cultural life began to develop, and on the initiative of H. Edemans, in 1921, the first secondary school was established in Salacgriva. On February 7, 1928, Salacgrīva was granted the status of a city. Major changes in economic life took place during the Soviet era, when a fish factory was established in Salacgrīva, which was originally visited in Ainaži, as well as the fisherman's artel "Brīvais vilnis" was established. Thanks to the development of the fishing industry, the port was rebuilt and the increase in population led to the construction of new housing. Over the years, the fishermen's collective farms became more prosperous and tried to improve the city, therefore in the northern part of the fishermen's park was established with one of the best stadiums and an open-air stage, where every year at the beginning of July
Today's Salacgriva is a growing small town in Latvia. Timber exports, wood processing and food production and trade continue to play an important role in its economy.
19th century At the end of the 19th century, the Salacgriva Public Society began to operate in the city, with the help of which the library of the Salacgriva Public Society was established on August 4, 1902, and in 1912 the society house was built, where the library also found a home. Initially, it contained 300 books of various contents, but later the number increased to 700 volumes. In 1957, the library was divided into Salacgriva City and Salacgriva Children's Library. In order to preserve the history of the county, a regional research room has been operating in the Salacgrīva City Library since 2003.
Since the museum was founded in 1998, it has served as the county's history center for locals, tourists and historical researchers. The museum's archive contains materials: on fishing and fishermen in the lower reaches of the Salaca River, as well as on the coast of the North Vidzeme Sea; for fishing for ancient lamprey but; on the history of Vecsalaca and Svētciems manors, on whose lands Salacgrīva was formed; on the economic and political life of the city; surrounding schools, churches and congregations; for the people of Salacgrīva, who glorify the city and the region and considerably with their merits in pedagogy, science, culture and art, business, politics and economy.
After the restoration of
independence, the Salacgriva District Tourism Information Center was
the first tourism information center in Latvia. It began its work on
June 21, 1993, but was officially founded on November 3, 1994. Over
the years, the tourist center continues to provide travelers with
useful advice to make their adventure in Salacgriva come back again
The top 5 countries from which foreign tourists enter Salacgriva are Estonia, Germany, Finland, Lithuania and Russia.
The most popular tourist attractions:
Lamprey tacis - a unique fishing technique with several centuries of history, which is used today only in Salacgriva. A lamprey trail is a specially constructed footbridge, from which lamprey traps are immersed in the river stream and fishing takes place. Taci is re-installed every year from spruce timber that has been cooked for several years, and no nails or screws are used for fastening, but special ties.
Luggage room - a place where you can view various magazines,
books, toys, dishes and interior items, as well as Soviet-era audio,
video and camera equipment from the first models.
Museum - an opportunity to see the permanent exposition "Zutiņš murdā", which shows the history and traditions of fishing in Vidzeme seaside, as well as the ancient method of lamprey fishing, when a dam or tacis is built across the river.
Salaca promenade and lighthouse - the lighthouse is a rectangular white tower with a red lantern at its end. Unfortunately, it no longer works today, but in the past it served all fishermen to find their way home. The lighthouse was built due to the many shoals on the coast between Salacgriva and Ainaži, which was the most dangerous area for navigation on the entire coast of the Gulf of Riga. To protect the coast of Salaca from erosion, it was decided to build a promenade. It was made by bringing stones to the locals. The renovated Salacgriva promenade was opened in May 2014.
Naborigama kiln - ceramic kiln or Naborigama built in the summer of 2007. In this oven it is possible to reach the porcelain firing temperature above 1300 degrees. To achieve the required heat, the chamber furnace is heated for a whole week in July. A week after the opening of the kiln, the artists gather to see the results of their artwork.