Delčevo (Делчево, Delchevo)

 

Delčevo (until 1950 Carevo Selo) - a town in the eastern part of Macedonia located in the area of Pijanec, near the border with Bulgaria.

 

History

Delčevo , according to a legend in Byzantine times, was called Vasilevo, as a Greek variant of the Slavic Tsarevo. For the first time as a settlement Carevo Selo is mentioned in a charter of Tsar Dushan from 1347 to 1350. With it he gave several places and fields from Pijanec to the monastery from Lesnovo.

Ottoman period
In Turkish times Delčevo was also called Sultania, by analogy with the original name.

Until the 17th century, the settlement lay on the right side of the river Bregalnica on the present toponym Selishte, more precisely under the hill Ostrec near the road leading to Bulgaria. From the first centuries of Turkish rule there is not much information about the position of Delcevo. In the middle of the 17th century, Sultan Mehmed IV lived in its vicinity. Mass Islamization was carried out on the population at the time of his visit to Pijanec. Due to the oppression and pressure, many Macedonian settlements were deserted, including the then Tsarevo Selo. It is assumed that at the time of that sultan the settlement was moved to its present place on the left side of the river Bregalnica. The city mosque built in the 17th century is also cited as evidence.

However, it is thought-provoking that the Turkish travel writer Evliya Çelebi spent here only a few years later in 1670 and wrote in his Travelogue:

"From Vinica we climbed the Kocani mountain ore, moving through the gorge and after four hours we arrived in Carevo Selo. "This is a Muslim village at the foot of a mountain and is decorated with about 100 houses and a magnificent mosque mined by a minaret."

We should also mention the folk tradition that says that the settlement under the hill Ostrec was deserted when the plague reigned and the surviving population settled on the place where today Delčevo is.

The oldest part of the city is considered to be the Turkish colony that was created around the mosque. According to Jaranov, until the 19th century Delčevo was a village, a Turkish colony, inhabited by purebred Turks and a large part of the Islamized Macedonian population, called Pomaks, who did not know the Turkish language. Only a few families were Orthodox Macedonian.

Towards the middle of the 19th century, the bazaar began to develop and the settlement to grow, and at the same time the Macedonian population to increase. After the space in Sredno Maalo was filled, the spread through Gocho Potok started, ie. upper neighborhood or today's I region. In 1863 there were 75 Macedonian houses in Delčevo, and in 1873 109.

In 1856, the construction of the church was completed, which was mainly inhabited by Macedonians fleeing Turkish oppression in the surrounding villages. Greater emigration of the Macedonian population from this area took place in 1878 after the Russo-Turkish war. After the end of the war, the famous Macedonian duke Ilija Markov (Grandfather Iljo Maleshevski) created the little-known Pijanec Republic, and after its destruction, the Macedonian Christian population, fearing for their safety, fled en masse seeking refuge on the territory of newly created Bulgaria. About 150 Macedonian households from the villages and the city moved to the Kyustendil region. A small number of those refugees later returned. Turkish refugees from Bulgaria and even Bosnia and Herzegovina settled in the place of the emigrated Macedonians. The invading Turkish population, called "Madzirci" settled in Madzirsko maalo, today's III district of the city.

On the left side along the river Bregalnica, on the narrow flat space where the squares and inns were, the construction of the trade and craft shops along the two narrow streets started. With that, the bazaar was finally formed and Delčevo grew into a city settlement.

The Balkan and World Wars
During the Balkan Wars a large number of Turks left the city, so that in 1914 the population was 1,701. After these wars, a new Macedonian population came from the surrounding villages, mostly from the passive villages of Bigla, Selnik and Dramche, which bought Turkish properties.

In 1931. the population increased to 3,746 inhabitants. After this year, the emigration of the Turkish population to Turkey continued voluntarily, especially in 1953. In 1935, the construction of the first houses on the right side of the river Bregalnica began.

After the liberation, on April 23, 1950, the Presidium of the National Assembly of the People's Republic of Macedonia decided that Tsarevo Selo be renamed Delchevo, in honor of Goce Delchev.

In the sixties the town expanded on the right side of the river Bregalnica, and in the seventies on the hill Milkovo Brdo. With the increase of the employees in the working organizations in Delcevo, the number of the population in it also grew. Today Delčevo is a modern city settlement with wide asphalt streets and boulevards, sewerage network and parks and greenery.

 

Location

164 km east of Skopje, at the foot of Mount Golak, spread on both banks of the river Bregalnica lies the town of Delčevo. It is the largest settlement in the Pijanec area, which stretches over an area of ​​585 km 2, located between the Osogovo Mountains (north) and Maleshevo (south). The city lies at an altitude of 590m to 640m. Despite being located in the easternmost part of the country, Delčevo has a relatively good geographical position and traffic connection. It is a crossroads for eastern Macedonia. Through Pehchevo (27 km) and Berovo (34 km) it is connected with Strumica to the south, and through Makedonska Kamenica (24 km) and Kocani (51 km) it is connected with Stip to the northwest. To the west, 39 km, is Vinica, and to the east is the border crossing "Arnautski Grob" (11 km), through which you can reach the capital of Pirin Macedonia - Gorna Dzumaja (34 km)

 

Climate

The climate in Delčevo is continental Eastern European with a modified pluviometric regime. The average annual temperature in Delčevo is 11 ° C, with an absolute minimum of -26 ° C and an absolute maximum of 39 ° C, while in higher areas the average annual temperature drops to 3.5 ° C. The warmest month is August, and the coldest is January. Spring is always colder than autumn.

The clouds are not large, so the year is dominated by sunny and clear days. The average annual rainfall in Delchevo is 548 mm, and in the mountains over 1,600 meters above sea level. and up to 1,000 mm. Precipitation, although relatively low, their distribution in the vegetation period (April-September) is favorable and is over 50% of the total annual precipitation.

The vegetation period with a temperature higher than 10 ° C lasts 191 days during the year. This favorable climate allows the growth of various plants, and is also a very suitable natural condition for the development of tourism in this area.

The vegetation period with a temperature higher than 10 ° C lasts 191 days during the year. This favorable climate allows the growth of various plants, and is also a very suitable natural condition for the development of tourism in this area.

 

Cultural and social facilities

Churches
Church "Assumption of the Most Holy Mother of God" - a church in the higher part of the city;
Church "St. Cyril and Methodius ”- a new church in the lower part of the city;
Church "St. Kliment Ohridski ”- a new church on the location where in 1961, by a decision of the then government, a church was demolished;
Church "St. Naum Ohridski ”- baptistery church. It was consecrated on August 4, 2013;
Church "St. Bogorodica ”- grave church;
Church "St. Bogorodica Balaklija ”- the main monastery church of the Delčevo monastery;
Church "Shroud of the Most Holy Mother of God" - a monastery church in the Delčevo monastery;

Schools
SU "Metodija Mitevski Brico" - Delčevo
"Vancho Prke" primary school - Delčevo
Primary school "St. Kliment Ohridski" - Delčevo