Gevgelija - a city in the southeastern part of Macedonia, located in the Gevgelija-Valandovo Valley, Bojmija district, in the immediate vicinity (3 km) on the border with the municipalities of Kilkis and Meglen in Aegean Macedonia, today in Greece.
Origin of the term
The word Gevgelija probably comes from the Turkish word gölgeli, which means a place with many shadows.
According to a legend about the origin of the name Gevgelija, it is considered that a dervish who came and did not want to leave Gevgelija, because he liked the place very much. The inhabitants did not want to receive him and decided to persecute him by force. Enraged by this, the dervish began to angrily curse the frightened residents and called him back with the words gel-ger meaning "come back". Although a legend, the people of Gevgelija consider this as an oath of the ancestors, ie. always welcome those who decide to pursue their ideas in the city.
Gevgelija as a
city is first mentioned in official Turkish documents from 1664.
Located along many important roads that led from Thessaloniki and
Dojran to Strumica and Skopje, around the 19th century, Gevgelija
marked a significant economic boom. Gevgelija as a city began to
develop in the middle of the XIX century, when the population of
these areas felt the need to create a modern settlement to help
passers-by and to host their travels to the Middle East with
numerous inns. Thus, from 1871 to 1886, the first craft shops were
opened in Gevgelija. Such economic and population growth of the
settlement to get a city physiognomy, ie the registration in the
cadastral books as a city settlement was officially done in 1886,
when in administrative terms it became the center of a special kaza
The Church of the Ascension of Christ dates back to 1842.
Gevgelija gets a real city image in 1886. In a referendum held on April 23, 2017, the citizens of the Municipality of Gevgelija voted against opening mines for metallic raw materials.
This area has always been an important crossroads for travelers and goods traveling from Europe to the Middle East or vice versa. With the construction of the Skopje-Gevgelija-Thessaloniki railway in 1873 and the Skopje-Gevgelija highway, it became an important transit corridor. Gevgelija is located only 70 km from Thessaloniki, and 165 km from Skopje, the capital of R. Macedonia. Exactly because of the important roads, the roads from the north and the south intersect here, so that Gevgelija is a European gate for all those who went north.
Gevgelija is located at 64 meters above sea level and is influenced by the Mediterranean climate, above all, by the Mediterranean climate influence from the Aegean Sea. Kozuf Mountain with its highest peak "Zelen Bey", which is located at 2,167 meters above sea level, is a natural border between the Mediterranean and continental climates. Gevgelija has 240 sunny days a year, with an annual amount of 2,392 hours of sunshine. The average annual temperature is 14.3ºC, the average annual minimum temperature is 8.6ºC, while the average maximum annual temperature is 20.6ºC. The highest maximum temperature was measured in July 2004 and was 44.6 ° C, and the lowest minimum temperature was measured in December 1999 and was -16 ° C. The average annual rainfall is 649 mm / mW. The highest rainfall is in October and November, while the driest are July and August. However, on June 4, 2004 alone, 213 l / mW fell. The average number of days with snow cover is 4, and with fog 7 days. Such climatic conditions allow Mediterranean fruits, such as figs, pomegranates, olives, tangerines and lemons, to grow under this Mediterranean climate. Along the valley of Konska Reka, west of Gevgelija, there is a rare and unique evergreen tree in the Balkans, known as the "naked man" (Arbutus andrachne), whose trunk is covered with reddish and scaly bark.
The Church of St. Spas is the oldest church in the region, built in the early 19th century, where people from Thessaloniki even came for the fair in honor of the patron saint. In 1873, with joint funds, the people of Gevgelija built the church "Holy Trinity", and on the place where the chapel was built, in 1895 the church "St. Cyril and Methodius" was built.
Church "St. Cyril and Methodius"
Church "St. Salvation "
Peter and Paul Church - Catholic Church
Christian Adventist Church - Gevgelija - Adventist Church
Headquarters of the Hierarch's Office Gevgelija of the Povardarie Diocese of the MOC.