Kavadarci (Кавадарци)

 

Kavadarci - a city in the southeastern part of the Povardarie, in southern Macedonia and is the center of Tikvesh. According to some sources, etymologically, the name Kavadarci comes from the Greek word kavadion which means "cloak of precious fabric", and the people of Kavadarci were the makers of that fabric.

 

Geography
The city is located in the central part of the valley and the Tikvesh area and is its central place. It is 10 km west of the nearest town Negotino, 105 km south of the capital Skopje, and west through the Drenovska Gorge and the Pletvar pass is connected to Prilep (51 km), which continues to Bitola, Resen and Ohrid. The city of Kavadarci is located on both banks of the river Luda Mara, in a north-south direction, and is a flat settlement located at an altitude of 278 meters.

Traffic
The city contains ten boulevards: West Boulevard, North Boulevard, Mosha Pijade, Cvetan Dimov, Veljko Vlahovic, Macedonia, Nikola Minchev, Blazo Aleksov, Video Smilevski - Bato, and Kocho Racin. Other important streets in the city are: Ilinden, шкаiшкаka, Seventh of September, Mito Hadџиivasilev - Jasmin, Viшниeцаnica, Strasho Pindџur. The city also has eight roundabouts.

History of Kavadarci
The settlement of Kavadarci was first mentioned in 1519, as a small rural settlement within the Kyustendil Sandzak. In 1664, Evliya Çelebi visited Kavadarci (Tikvesh), who left a record of the Kavadarci Bazaar, which was then organized city life. He states that the town is the center of a kaza with 70 living villages and has 300 roofs with tiled houses. There are four neighborhoods, three mosques and a beautiful bathroom. There are two markets for merchants and a bazaar with about 74 shops. Kavadarci was first the seat of a nahija within the Strumica kaza, and since the 17th century - is an independent kaza. Education in Kavadarci has deep roots and a rich tradition, and the first cell schools were opened in the premises of the Moklic, Polog and Bosha Monasteries during the 18th and 19th centuries. The settlement is also mentioned in Turkish documents from 1823. The document mentions Kavadarci as a small settlement ("kasaba") with about 2,000 inhabitants in the far eastern part of the then Bitola vilayet. In his article entirely dedicated to Tikvesh entitled "Ljubljano-Peonia", published in the "Constantinople Gazette" on February 12, 1855, the Macedonian educator Jordan Hadzi-Konstantinov - The Giant wrote that the village of Kavadarci (Govedarci) has a large and beautiful a small school, three mosques (mosques), a clock (sahat), an old high tower (pillar) where ayan and kadi sit. This indicates that as early as the middle of the 19th century Kavadarci was the central place of the entire Tikvesh area where the court (kadija) and the administrative authorities were located. The city of Kavadarci began to develop in the early nineteenth century, but in the vicinity there are archaeological excavations that indicate that there was a settlement here in ancient times and in the Middle Ages. Witnesses from the Middle Ages are the many beautiful medieval churches and monasteries in the area, especially around the caves on the shores of Lake Tikvesh.

In mid-July 1894, at the initiative of Dame Gruev, the second MRO committee was established. The members of the committee were:
Pane Ivanov - head teacher in the primary school;
Jovanche Velkov - merchant;
Ivanche Minchev - civil servant; and
Janaki Iliev - Kjurchiev - merchant.
To mark that moment, the Council of the Municipality of Kavadarci in July 1999 erected a memorial plaque in the city.

Tikvesh Uprising
In June 1913, the city of Kavadarci was one of the centers where the Tikvesh Uprising broke out, which was the first popular armed resistance against the new Serbian government. The uprising was provoked by the violence perpetrated by the Serbian occupying authorities against the Macedonian population during the efforts for assimilation and enslavement. With the support of VMRO, an assembly was convened with delegates from almost all places in Tikvesh where it was unanimously decided to start an uprising and create an insurgent headquarters, composed of prominent dukes from that area, among whom were: Doncho Lazarov, Mihail Shkartov, Koce Seizov, Dime Pindzurov, Todor Kamchev and others. About 1,000 insurgents took part in the uprising, 200 of whom were ordinary citizens holding rifles, and the rest were comites from VMRO detachments. The uprising started on June 19, 1913, in addition to Negotino and Kavadarci, about fifty villages in the Tikves area were liberated. Doncho Lazarov and Mihail Shkartov's detachments attack and expel the Serbian armies from Negotino. Serbian authorities send their troops from nearby villages to Negotino, but they are all defeated. The insurgents continue and manage to expel the Serbian officials and scribes from the municipal building in Kavadarci and lowering the Serbian flag, they set up the Tikvesh revolutionary flag. On June 20, a solemn assembly was held at which a city administration composed of 12 prominent citizens of Kavadarci was elected, and the freedom lasted only 7 days. On June 25, Serbian soldiers suppressed the uprising, set fire to much of Kavadarci, and, among other things, over 60 shops and wealthy houses were looted.

 

Memorial ossuary
The memorial ossuary in Kavadarci is a monumental monument that symbolizes an old Macedonian house that is the eternal home of fallen fighters. It houses the remains of the killed fighters from Kavadarci, victims of the fascist terror of the National Liberation War in the period from 1941-1945, which were located near Kavadarci. Inside it, their names are inscribed on granite slabs. The memorial ossuary is made of concrete. It was discovered on September 7, 1976. It is the work of the professor at the Faculty of Architecture in Skopje, Petar Mulichkovski.

The building is located at an altitude of 305 meters and from there you can see the panorama of Kavadarci and Tikvesh. It is a stylized Macedonian house fenced with concrete walls 3 meters thick. The lower bracket represents the inner courtyard of the house which continues into the outer courtyard in the form of an amphitheater. The lower part is entered through two iron doors (south and north) on which clusters are presented. They lead to the open part of the ossuary where the gallery of the heroes is located. In the past, the walls were empty and housed the relics of the dead, but in recent years their coffins have been moved to the city museum for protection. Here are twenty formed marble slabs with more than three hundred names written on them, namely 328 names of fighters who died in the National Liberation War. Then, through a staircase in the middle of the building that leads spirally upwards, one enters the closed part with a height of 12 meters, which is a stylized Macedonian house inspired by an Ohrid house. This closed part is divided into two floors that are associated with verandas whose walls have openings that symbolize the windows.

Economy and transport
The population in the city, and in the whole region in general, is mostly engaged in viticulture. The most important commercial buildings are the Tikvesh Winery, the Metallurgical Plant for Ferronickel "FENI", the Industry for Construction Materials and Steel Structures "IGM", the tobacco factory "Alliance One Macedonia AD", the factory "Metalex", and more recently in huge There are many private wineries and wineries such as "Chekorov", "Popov" and others. Recently, the economy in Kavadarci has been growing with the construction and opening of the German factory for parts in the automotive industry "Drexlmeier" which employs about 6,000 people from Kavadarci and the surrounding towns of Negotino, Prilep and Veles.

In the city there is a Bus Station - Kavadarci which transports passengers to and from Skopje, Veles, Negotino, Prilep, Resen, Ohrid, Struga, Strumica, Demir Kapija, Valandovo, Gevgelija, Belgrade, Sofia.


Tourism
Museum-gallery
Museum-Gallery from Kavadarci as an institution in the field of culture was established by a decision of the Assembly of the Municipality of Kavadarci on September 7, 1973. On September 6, 1976, with the opening of the art exhibition of the Slovenian painter Mario Vilhar, he officially started working.

The museum-gallery is an institution open to the public, has an educational role, in order to develop interactive communication with visitors, and through the presentation of movable and immovable heritage to attract a wider audience.

The museum includes an archeological, ethnological, historical department, a department for protection of cultural monuments, a department for art history and a gallery where a dozen exhibitions take place annually, a memorial room for Vasil Hadzimanov and a memorial room for Nikola Badev. The museum also has several permanent exhibits: archeological, ethnological, historical exhibits and exhibits for traditional food and wine preparation.

Wine Museum
In 2002, a local Wine Museum for the Tikvesh-Kavadarci region was opened in the city park in Kavadarci, where the history of the Tikvesh Region in the production of grapes and wine is presented in several exhibitions. Among the exhibits are a device for measuring the sugar content in wine from 1534, the so-called refrigerator - ledar from 1934 in which ice was once carried from the so-called ledars from the locality, Bear's hole near Kavadarci. In addition to museum exhibits and photographs, the museum also has a collection of wines for tasting.