Makedonska Kamenica (Македонска Каменица)

 

Makedonska Kamenica - a town in the eastern part of the Republic of Macedonia. It is located at the foot of the Osogovo Mountains on their southern slope. It is known as a mining town. The most famous Macedonian lead and zinc mine Sasa is in its immediate vicinity. It was declared a city in 2004. It is the seat of the municipality of the same name, which covers an area of 19,037 ha, has 9 settlements with a total of 8,110 inhabitants. According to the 2002 census, the city has 5,147 inhabitants.

 

Origin of the name

The name Kamenica comes from the name of a river, its meaning is "water flowing in a rocky bed". In the past, the name of the village is documented in a record from 1566, as Kamena Reka, from which comes the first known Macedonian printer Jakov, who in 1566. print his books in Venice.

 

History

Kamenica is first mentioned in Turkish records as a village in 1570-1573. The city was founded before 1950, which was initially just a settlement for miners working at the Sasa mine. At the time when the area was under Serbian rule, mining in the old Roman mines was resumed. The area was inhabited by the Sassi mining tribes, who migrated from Hungary and Germany. The name of the Sasa mine is named after them.

In the 14th century, the area became part of the principality of Konstantin Dejanovi,, after his death it came under Turkish rule. In the second half of the 16th century, hawthorn appeared as a form of resistance, due to the favorable mountainous region. From the area of ​​Makedonska Kamenica is known the company of the Grandfather Iljo Maleshevski and Rumena Vojvoda.

 

Geography

Makedonska Kamenica is located in the eastern part of the country, in the southern foothills of the Osogovo Mountains, in the area of ​​Osogovo. The rivers Moshtica and Kosevicka Reka flow through the city, and the river Bregalnica is nearby.

The highway "M-5" and the regional road "R-208" pass through the city, which are connected with the rest of the country and the Sasa mine. The city is 24 km west of Delchevo and 29 km northeast of Kocani.