Novo Selo (Ново Село)

 

Novo Selo - a village in the Municipality of Novo Selo, in the vicinity of the city of Strumica, and the administrative center of the municipality. Novo Selo is the seat and largest settlement within the Municipality of Novo Selo and one of the largest villages in Strumica. It is located at the foot of the mountain Ograzden in Strumica Field, at an altitude of 236 meters. The village is 21 km east of the town of Strumica, and 8 km west of the Macedonian-Bulgarian border crossing.

 

History

Old history
First the settlement was located in the locality Selishte, then in Volchji Dol, and then moved to the present place. In the village and the surrounding area there are several archeological sites, such as: Bel Rid, Gradishte, Kostunica, Novoselsko depot, Selishte, Chuka and Shopov Rid.

Ottoman Empire
The village is mentioned in the Ottoman censuses of 1519 and 1570 under the name Yeni oj (New Village). It is assumed that with the arrival of the Turks on the Balkan Peninsula in the second half of the XIV century, the fertile plain was taken away from the Christian population and it was forced to form a new settlement east of the locality Volchya Mogila. The new occupation of the population became animal husbandry. The fact that this village has existed for a long time is the large number of graves in the area of ​​Grobcheto. Remains of the foundations of some houses can still be seen from this village.

At the end of the 17th and the beginning of the XVIII century, the population of the village started to emigrate to the current place in the village. The final emigration of the inhabitants of today's location ended in the early nineteenth century. Gradually the village started to grow and turned into a market center of the surrounding villages.

In the XIX century the village had 1,200 inhabitants and was the first of the village settlements in the Strumica kaza. In 1842 the church "St. Georgi ”, and in 1866 a school in Macedonian language was established in the house of the Panzievci family, as a result of the efforts of the prominent citizen from the village, Dimcho Hadzi-Penev. Later, the location of the village was moved to the house of the Gozevci family, and even later to the so-called Popski Dom.

In 1895, a VMORO committee was established in Novo Selo. Goce Delchev also resided in the village, and the great Komitas duke Manush Georgiev also lived here. The first serious burglary in the Strumica region was the so-called Novosel affair when 5 Albanians were killed, followed by the arrest of 30 people in Strumica led by Stojan Georgiev as the head of the Strumica District Committee.

Kingdom of Bulgaria
In 1913, during the Balkan Wars, the village was seized by the Greek army and 160 houses were burned. According to the Treaty of Bucharest until 1919, Novo Selo entered the borders of the Kingdom of Bulgaria in the newly formed administrative district of Strumica.

Yugoslavia
After the end of the First World War, according to the Nej Peace Treaty, the village was included in the Kingdom of SCS, together with the Strumica region, while after the end of the Second World War, within the SFRY. During World War II from 1941 to 1944 the village was again included in the borders of Bulgaria. At that time the mayor of the village was Atanas Machukov.

In 1936 a school building was built with the money of the villagers.

Macedonia
After the disintegration of the SFRY, the village was formally included in the Republic of Macedonia. According to the territorial organization of the Republic of Macedonia, the village belongs to the Municipality of Novo Selo and is its administrative center.

 

Cultural and natural sights

Archaeological sites
Bell Reed
Bel Rid - archeological site in Novo Selo, Municipality of Novo Selo. It is a settlement from late antiquity. 500 m northwest of the village rises a high hill on which remains of the foundations of several buildings have been found, and on the surface there are fragments of ceramic vessels, pithos and roof tiles.

Gradishte
Gradishte - archeological site in Novo Selo, Municipality of Novo Selo. It is a settlement from late antiquity. It is located 4 km north of the village. It is a high dominant hill with a flattened plateau, with an area of ​​150 h 100 m, on which there are preserved remains of foundations of a wall 1.60 m wide, built of stone and lime mortar. Fragments of pottery, pithos and roof tiles are found on the surface.

Kostunica
Kostunica - archeological site in Novo Selo, Municipality of Novo Selo. It is a settlement from Roman times. In the meadows located 1 km east of the village there is a large mound with a diameter at the base of 35 m. At the top there is a dug bunker with which the mound is significantly damaged.

Novosel depot
Novoselsko Depot - archeological site in Novo Selo, Municipality of Novo Selo. It is a depot of medieval coins. On the edge of the village, at the place where there is a lot of remains of construction material (late antique construction site?) And is a slope of the mountain Ograzden, in 1995 81 Paleo-Byzantine coins from the 6th century were accidentally discovered. The depot consists of 6 solids, 38 foleys and 1 half-foley by Anastasius I; 1 solid, 2 tremis and 29 foals by Justin I, as well as 2 solids and 2 foals by Justinian I. The coins are kept in the Museum of Macedonia in Skopje.

Seat
Selishte - an archeological site in Novo Selo, Municipality of Novo Selo. It is a settlement from the Copper Age. At the foot of Mount Ograzden, on a small terrace that rises above the Novoselska River, 4 km north of the village, there are fragments of pottery, handmade. A stone ax with a hole for a handle and a pintadera was found.

Chuka
Chuka - archeological site in Novo Selo, Municipality of Novo Selo. It is a settlement and mound from late antiquity. At the edge of the village, on a gentle slope with an area of ​​150 × 120 m, which descends to the south, there are fragments of ceramic vessels, pithos and roof tiles, as well as pieces of slag from molten iron. Their greatest concentration is in the fields of S. Georgiev and I. Patulev. There are traces of a destroyed mound on the field.

Shopov Reed
Shopov Rid - archeological site in Novo Selo, Municipality of Novo Selo. It is a mound from Roman times. In the immediate vicinity of the Chuka site there are two mounds with a diameter at the base of about 30 m, one of which is damaged.


Buildings
Church "St. George "
„St. Gjorgji ”- a Christian temple located in Novo Selo, Strumica region. It was built in 1842.

Novoselski Monastery, with the church "St. George "
Saint Anthony - Orthodox Macedonian monastery above the Strumica village Novo Selo. The monastery rises on a hill on the mountain Ograzden, which is located above Novo Selo, from where you can see a panorama of the whole village. Within the monastery there is a residence where three monks live in accordance with the Ascetic-hesychastic tradition of the Mount Athos monasteries. Beekeeping is developed in the monastery and quality honey is produced. A necropolis, probably dating to Roman times, was discovered at the site in the 1990s, and initiatives were later taken to build a monastery complex.

Church
The main and only monastery church is dedicated to St. George. It was consecrated on August 28, 2004 on the feast of the Great Mother of God with the blessing of the Metropolitan of Strumica Mr. Nahum. The church has not been frescoed yet and the iconostasis has not been made (state 2015).


Fountain of Baba Vangja
Bulgarian military cemetery

 

Nature destinations

Smolari waterfall
Smolari waterfall - a waterfall located on the northern slopes of Mount Belasica, along the river Lomnica, at an altitude of 600 m in the region of the village Smolari.

The total height of the vertical section of the Smolare Waterfall is 39.5 meters. The waterfall is tectonically predisposed with a fault structure that lies transversely to the direction of water flow on the Smolari River. A giant pot is formed at the bottom of the waterfall, the length of which in the direction of the river water flow is 5 meters, the width is 11 meters, and the depth ranges from 0.5 to 0.7 meters.

Smolari waterfall is the only permanent waterfall in Macedonia with a water drop of 39.5 meters.

Smolari is like most villages in Macedonia, a small village inhabited by kind and hospitable people. But this village has a special treasure hidden in the mountain, Smolari Waterfall.

To get to the waterfall, you have to travel on a narrow, winding road and reduce speed because tractors and harnesses are typical of this area. The main occupation here is agriculture.

On the way to the waterfall you will find a small market where you can buy local products. This market was opened in January 2007 where the local population is always there to offer you local peppers, apples, cucumbers and many other delicious and healthy products. After a short talk in the market, you continue climbing to the waterfall.


Koleshino/Kolešino waterfall
Kolešino waterfall - a waterfall located in the southeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia, on the northern slopes of Mount Belasica, in the lower reaches of the Baba River, at an altitude of 500 m.

It is one of the highest waterfalls in Macedonia with a height of 15 m, with a width of about 6 m. According to its origin, it is a tectonic waterfall, created in granite rocks. Opposite the Kolešino waterfall, at a distance of about 100 meters there are several smaller waterfalls arranged in a row, 2 to 4 meters high, which belong to its central basin.

As the temperatures rise, the number of guests who come here every day grows. On average, the Kolešino waterfalls are visited daily by between 400 and 500 tourists, and during the weekends this number is doubled.

On Saturdays and Sundays during the weekends that number can reach up to 1,000 tourists, and if there were accommodation facilities it would be much more because the guests would stay here on weekdays. In short, the potential for tourism development already exists - says Petar Spasov, mayor of Novo Selo.