Radoviš (Радовиш, Radovish)

 

Radoviš - a town in the southeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia. The city is the second largest in the southeastern region, located at the foot of Mount Plachkovica and the northern part of the Strumica-Radoviš Valley. The highway M6 Stip - Radoviš - Strumica is the main connection of the city. It is the seat of the Municipality of Radovis, to which another 35 settlements belong. Radovish is known for the Church "St. Trinity ”, the Cross over Radovish, the mountain Plachkovica, the mine Buchim, the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and the Radovish samun and tatlija

 

History

Prehistory and the ancient period
Traces of material culture have been found on the territory of the municipality of Radovis since prehistoric times. Particularly interesting are the findings from the Neolithic Age, the Copper Age, the Hallstatt and the Bronze Age. In the time of Philip II of Macedon and Alexander the Great, the territory of Radovis was inhabited by the Paionians. It is believed that the Paeonian tribes Doberi and Astrai inhabited here, after which the centers Dober and Astraion were named. But in science there are still assumptions about the exact location of these centers. Numerous remnants of value are from the time of the pre-Roman and Roman eras. These are mostly ancient settlements, necropolises, castrates, baths, aqueducts, milestones and other finds.

Medieval period
The city of Radoviš was first mentioned in 1019. in the Letter of the Byzantine Emperor Basil II, and it was also called the medieval parish, which shows that the city function dates back to the Middle Ages. At that time Radovish was an important regional trade, craft and mining center. The name of the town of Radovis is related to the name of the medieval princess of Slavic origin, Rada, who lived in the fortress above the town, whose ruins still exist.

In the period of the 14th century it was under the rule of the Serbian rulers - in 1361 Tsar Uros resided in it.

Under Ottoman rule
Under the rule of the Turks, Radovish fell in 1382-1383. According to historical data and sources, the Turkish army on its way to Central Europe occupied the cities in front of it. In the occupied cities, the Turkish authorities deployed only a few officials and their guards to welcome and send their troops. On the other hand, they did not want to provoke the local population to revolt, so as not to cause them problems during their march to Europe. Under the Turkish conquest at the beginning of the 16th century, many people settled in this area - Yuruci - Turkish nomadic tribe, an ethnic group that is still present in Radovis. According to the 1519 census, the settlement numbered 200 households, of which 177 were Christian and 23 Muslim. In this document the city was signed as Radovishte. In the following years, however, the situation changed dramatically. With the colonization of the Muslim population of Asia Minor, a greater influx of new inhabitants was felt, both in Radovish and in the surrounding villages. Due to this artificial migration of the Turkish population, in 1572 Radovish already had 365 households, of which 303 were Christian and 62 were Muslim. The famous Turkish travel writer Evliya Çelebi visited Radovish in 1662 and in his notes on the city noted: “The town has: about 400 houses, distributed in five neighborhoods; there are five mosques, a dervish tekke, a mekteba, a madrasa, a hammam, three annas, two taverns and a small town bazaar with about 150 shops. "The settlement is surrounded by gardens and vineyards." Celebija further explains in his notes that the town was a picnic area and hunting ground of a king named Radul. The documents Kyustendil metropolitans in the 17th century are also called Radovish. At the end of the 18th century, Radovish was a town surrounded by a wall of an old fortress, the remains of which still stand today. Once the great road from Pomoravje through Kumanovo and Ovche Pole and Radovishko Pole through Strumica led to the Gulf of Thessaloniki and Orphan. In 1820, in the publication of Mr. Hassel, Radovish is marked with the toponym Radoviste and there were 300 houses in the town. With this toponym, Radovish was drawn on a map of European Turkey, published in Vienna in 1828. In 1854, the city was visited by the French travel writer Ami Boue. He mentions Radovish as the tenth most important city in Skopje Pashalak with about 1,500 inhabitants. In the 1970s, Radovish grew into a market center, then known for its tobacco and poppy exports. A larger increase in the settlement was observed at the end of the 19th century. In 1896, Radovish numbered 1,100 houses, of which 700 were Muslim and only 400 Christian. During this period there were six mosques in the city, ten to fifteen annas, one hammam, a city clock tower and a Christian church, built in 1832. The streets of the city were narrow and crooked, partially paved, while the houses were ground floor, rarely on the first floor. The city was divided into thirteen neighborhoods, of which 7 were Muslim and 6 Christian (Macedonian). The bazaar numbered 150 shops and was quite dynamic, in which the most developed handicrafts and trade. This oriental character of Radovish lasted until the Balkan Wars.

 

In the 19th and 20th century Radoviš and the surrounding area were influenced by historical events related to the Razlovech, Kresna and Ilinden uprisings, then the events of the Balkan Wars, the First and Second World Wars and the period after the Second World War contributed to the present appearance of Radoviš.

The territory of the municipality of Radovis is rich with explored and many unexplored archeological sites, monasteries and churches that are part of the rich treasury of cultural monuments.

World War Two
On October 22, 1944, the German fascist army set fire to a number of houses in the downtown area. The city was liberated on November 6, 1944.


Cultural and natural sights
Archaeological sites
City Bush - Iron Age tumulus;
Isarot - Kale - Medieval fortress;
Kuklenica - Medieval settlement;
Turkish Cemetery - Teke - a medieval necropolis

Tourism
The richness of the forest fund, the diversity of flora and fauna, the clean and healthy environment, the configuration of the terrain, rivers and artificial reservoirs make the region attractive for recreational-sport, hunting, fishing and rural tourism.

In this regard, the development opportunities of the region are seen, above all, in the commercialization of attractive natural resources. The economic effectuation of natural resources presupposes the existence of adequate infrastructure, organization and appropriate tourism propaganda. In that direction, significant development incentives can arise from new and quality accommodation facilities, food facilities, various craft and service facilities and shops, sports fields, tourist leaders in rural tourism that is part of the enrichment of tourism offer. The development of these specific types of tourism will provide a wider front for action and market effectuation of food production (milk, meat, vegetables, fruits, wine, etc.) in attractive hunting-fishing and recreational rural areas. The most appropriate way to manage this activity and its associated activities are small family businesses, professionally run and designed by qualified managers.

There is also an excellent opportunity for the development of alternative forms of tourism (mountain, spa, rural, archaeological, etc.)